Found Art Strut

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
What art have you found and picked up while digging?I'm talking about artwork found at fleas, thrifts, yardsales, streetcorner merchants, etc.post pics, talk about who it was by-- and if you feel up for it--mention the dope deal you got on it.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Homeless guy 1999...Industrial Blvd., Dallas.....painted on cardboard box and is about 3'x4'...hangs in my Dining Room ...$25.00

Junk Store, Granbury, Texas $50.00

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that last one is

• paging Sun Ra Clinton...

• Woulda be a good swap for that damn rotten monkey

• Crying gypsy boy meets Kiss drummer. Painted on black silk, glow in the light. A dealer gave it to me at the fleamarket.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That picture is kitsch genius - the concept, the execution, the medium - genius, genius, genius.

• Found these as a boot sale for ??1 each.
    ???Yo Japan??? is a boutique in London (and elsewhere for all I know) and presumed these were just some students are based/themed around ???Yo Japan???.
    I was a little surprised a week or so latter on a trip to London I pass the ???Yo Japan??? shop and the exact same prints are taking pride of place in the Shop window!

• Homeless guy 1999...Industrial Blvd., Dallas.....painted on cardboard box and is about 3'x4'...hangs in my Dining Room ...$25.00

That's beautiful btw.

ok-- about a month or so ago, at an undisclosed joisey flea market i found these two prints that interested me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

they were sitting by themselves in a bunch of piles of box lots from a local auctioneer. i asked how much and they said, "you can have them both for a buck."
    i had no clue what they were all about. i just knew they had a style i liked. even though the one on the bottom had some water damage. for 50 cents a piece-- i didn't care.
    there was this textrure to the bottom one that i liked a lot. it was embossed. it was definitely done by someone asian--as there was some character writing near the bottom of it.

the top one had this cool looking almost mixed media approach to it. like a woodblock print or something. really neat.
    I took them home and didn't know what to do with them yet--so i just placed them flat on top of some boxes of clutter in my study.

It wasn't until late yesterday afternoon that I really took a look at them. I thought at first they might have been student art--but then I thought they looked cooler than your typical student artwork.
    I decided to google the names of the artists.

The top one was signed by a Reba Stewart and is called "bull thistle" was numbered 8/10 and was dated 7/57.

The bottom one is signed by a Haku Maki. it is titled "Nothing (Work) and is dated from 74. It is numbered 23/105.

I did some investigating via google. Found out both artists are/were respected and are sort of well known. Both have work in several major museums in the world (Boston, San Fran, Japan, Puerto Rico, New York,etc.)
    Both artists seem to have work that goes for some money on ebay.

Just Google Haku Maki and you'll find quite a bit. The same goes for Reba. She lived a really interesting life. she died of malaria in Africa back in 1971.

Not bad for a dollar---even though I wish the Haku Maki was not damaged!

Homeless guy 1999...Industrial Blvd., Dallas.....painted on cardboard box and is about 3'x4'...hangs in my Dining Room ...$25.00

That's that he did that on cardboard.

• i found this at 3 weeks ago at the thrift store for $8. It is of a giant dude in denim shorts using a mountain as his chair. i almost let it go, but ended up going back to the place a few days later and nabbed it

i also got this piece of raccoons playing

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

RADD

Also, can I get a quote on the white leather sofa/chair?

thanks,
    M

• ok-- about a month or so ago, at an undisclosed joisey flea market i found these two prints that interested me.

they were sitting by themselves in a bunch of piles of box lots from a local auctioneer. i asked how much and they said, "you can have them both for a buck."
    i had no clue what they were all about. i just knew they had a style i liked. even though the one on the bottom had some water damage. for 50 cents a piece-- i didn't care.
    there was this textrure to the bottom one that i liked a lot. it was embossed. it was definitely done by someone asian--as there was some character writing near the bottom of it.

the top one had this cool looking almost mixed media approach to it. like a woodblock print or something. really neat.
    I took them home and didn't know what to do with them yet--so i just placed them flat on top of some boxes of clutter in my study.

It wasn't until late yesterday afternoon that I really took a look at them. I thought at first they might have been student art--but then I thought they looked cooler than your typical student artwork.
    I decided to google the names of the artists.

The top one was signed by a Reba Stewart and is called "bull thistle" was numbered 8/10 and was dated 7/57.

The bottom one is signed by a Haku Maki. it is titled "Nothing (Work) and is dated from 74. It is numbered 23/105.

I did some investigating via google. Found out both artists are/were respected and are sort of well known. Both have work in several major museums in the world (Boston, San Fran, Japan, Puerto Rico, New York,etc.)
    Both artists seem to have work that goes for some money on ebay.

Just Google Haku Maki and you'll find quite a bit. The same goes for Reba. She lived a really interesting life. she died of malaria in Africa back in 1971.

Not bad for a dollar---even though I wish the Haku Maki was not damaged!

those are great!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dope thread! I do collages that look like found art but I guess that doesn't count. Anyways, heres a few thrift store heatrocks.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i found this at 3 weeks ago at the thrift store for $8. It is of a giant dude in denim shorts using a mountain as his chair. i almost let it go, but ended up going back to the place a few days later and nabbed it

i also got this piece of raccoons playing

Although i wouldn't put it up on my wall, there's something magical about those pieces. pretty neat!

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

I picked up a Brejtfus for a dollar..........man that guy can sew art

• Really liking the second one, shame about the water stains!

• got this one on my street. dude hangs 'em everywhere. screen printed right on thin plywood.they are all in different colours. the wife wanted the pink one, so we got it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts