Marvin Gaye appreciation

Comments

• Options
    unfuckwitable

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Once you get past the hype, it's obvious that Motown deserved to be so popular.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

What I like about Here My Dear is how real it sounds for the late seventies...by this time all of his contemporaries were going disco, and here's Marvin doing this all-out funkathon! Really, it sounds more like '73 than '78, doesn't it? Even Rick James sounded slick next to this!

Indeed... the drum track on "Anger" is straight grimey!

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    yup...the sound is perfect for what it is...

'anger'
    'funky space reincarnation'
    'when did i stop lovin you'
    'sparrow'

one of the first records i ever really owned...got that record from my dad along with inner visions, songs in the key of life, the white album, and some old hariprasad chaurasi flute shit...was like 14-15, thinkin shit is fire in an otherworldly way...never forget it...

• Yup, Marvin Gaye is cool.

Can we go back to talking about Placebo now?

Sup with a 'these nuts' graemlin?

thats what i'd post right now.

placebo these nuts.

• Sup with a 'these nuts' graemlin?

thats what i'd post right now.

placebo these nuts.

My bad, I forgot this is a music message board, not a joke message board.

hot

• dayday 9,612 Posts

placebo these nuts.

National Anthem = coked out of his mind

Sippin' on some Sizzurp

YOU SURE LOVE TO BALL[/b]

placebo these nuts.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I just listened to Here, My Dear in it's entirety on my drive back from Phoenix (thanks, Sketch!!). I, too, had slept on it for way too long.

It's a beautiful album, but I have to admit, listening to it in its' entirety is kind of like sitting with a friend who just broke up with their boyfriend/girlfriend. After a while, it's like "I'm here for you, hoLmes, but can we talk about something else for a bit?" I don't know, maybe it's just the one-sidedness of it.

Not to take away from everything y'all have already mentioned, the two Marvin tracks I've REALLY been feeling these days are the "Let's Get It On (Stepper's Remix)" and the 7 Samurai re-edit.

Herm

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Vintage Marvin is untouchable, absolutely. But I'm also feeling that previously unreleased track "I Hear Music" that just came out. It's a Marvin acapella with a somewhat modern-yet-spare beat underneath.

It's just nice to hear anything new from that guy. His vocal abilities are just timelessly soulful.

• BOMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana & Marvin is a below average album.

I dont think they even in the recording studio together.

• ive been listening to this over and over
    no, not for the take it to the breaks dot com moments...
    but the shit is straight sublime...without instruments you can focus completely on the music of his voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARWFDoADlqk&feature=related

• BOMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana & Marvin is a below average album.

I dont think they even in the recording studio together.

Of his four duet partners, Marvin had the LEAST chemistry with Diana.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I still have yet to hear/cop When I'm Alone I Cry.

Critique pleez.

• "You're the Man" Is funky as all hell. Deepstank played me the red vinyl 45 and it blew my mind. Was able to get it on Polydor's "Funky Disposition" comp. I don't know if it was on any of Marvin's albums.

It was only released as a single, between what's going on and trouble man. Does anyone know if he had more 45's released in the 70's that was not on any of his lps.

'Ego Tripping Out' 1979 - get the 12" if you can, also on a 7" part 1&2.

And... check the remastered 2-cd sets (what's going on/let's get it on/i want you) for unreleased tracks, and don't dismiss the remixes on 'here, my dear' there's some awesome stuff in there on that 2nd cd.

And... the 70's Japan issues of What's Going On and Let's Get It On are remixed from the original masters and have not been reissued. What's Going On is arguably better than the proper release, but Let's Get It On is weaker, they were done for Quad in Japan. WGO has for instance a fade on 'God Is Love' instead of cutting straight into 'Mercy, Mercy Me', so this is not just a remaster.

And... there's a French pic disc floating about of What's Going On that's the detroit mix of the album.

And... the single versions of the tracks from WGO that are on the b-sides of 45's are different versions

And... you must own 'Sad Tomorrows', the b-side of 'Mercy, Mercy Me'

• "Funky Space Reincarnation" is my jam. I'm trying to get plutotized. I wanna see what thats like.

• Lately this record slays me every day.

• Just picked this up on Sunday actually. Gonna put it on hopefully Friday.

• drbrownscelray said:
    Lately this record slays me every day.

Yep. Been on repeat in the car. Love it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Been listening to the older stuff lately. Especially duets.

Didn't reread the thread, but beyond singing and songwriting his drumming and musical chops should not be dismissed.

• Marvin Gaye appreciation?

Sure, he's aight.

*silviodanteshrug*

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    The bumping of this thread reminded me of this fantastic Marvin Gaye-related video:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Happy born day to the man.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, let's show the man some love...

Been jamming this hard recently. I'm another one who came to Here, My Dear way too late, and I'm a little ashamed that I called myself a Marvin Gaye fan for such a long time without really being up on it.

Jamerson on this, though. Holy shit.

Blazing downtempo-r

I always loved the last minute or so of this.

Dudes think they got it like this, but they're not even in the game.

30 years ago yesterday, too. RIP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We all love the 70s classics. Most of us love the duets. Some of us love the 60s hits/soul cuts.

Who will recommend something from his Nat King Cole/Frank Sinatra inspired albums?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Anyone appreciate Marvin enough to lace me with some MP3's of the deluxe treatment of In Our Lifetime? Shit is fuego but expensive.

LaserWolf said:
    Who will recommend something from his Nat King Cole/Frank Sinatra inspired albums?

• LaserWolf said:

i love this one: