King Crimson appreciation

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
my dad's loved them since '69, my brother is just starting to get into music and hes obsessed with them, and its making me get out my king crimson records again and take another listen...damn these guys are even more amazing than i remember.the drumming alone is worth a listen, pretty innovative shit. plus the records arent hard to find which is a definite plus.included in this post is some definite McDonald & Giles appreciation.

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    my dad's loved them since '69, my brother is just starting to get into music and hes obsessed with them, and its making me get out my king crimson records again and take another listen...damn these guys are even more amazing than i remember.

the drumming alone is worth a listen, pretty innovative shit. plus the records arent hard to find which is a definite plus.

included in this post is some definite McDonald & Giles appreciation.

not sure why, ive always been openminded with rock records but ffor some reason these ones has passed me by (including the mcdonald and niles joint...)
    would like to see some king crimson album top 5's, i know theyve released quite a bit, i did check out a white cover 2-lp that was cool...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I like their live recording from 72...swampy, bluesy and

• my favs...

• mcdonald and niles

MASH-UP!!!!

• my faves:

In the Court of the Crimson King
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    Starless and Bible Black
    Red

there are a bunch I haven't heard though. I have like 6 copies of In the Court on vinyl and they're all different.

• would like to see some king crimson album top 5's

definitely one of my favorite bands since i got their 1st record in like 8th or 9th grade. picking my top 5 albums is easy, but putting them in order is tough:

1. Red
    2. Larks Tongues
    2. Court of the K.C.
    2. Starless and Bible Black
    5. Lizard.

doing a top-5 of Fripp-related albums is a different story though and would have to include 'Exposure' which is bananas.

Never liked Discipline/Belew Crimson as much, but i have to say, i saw them a couple years ago and it was one of the best 'rock' concerts i've ever seen. amazing.

• yeah I finally picked up Discipline this week and holy crap it's godawful.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Discipline/Belew Crimson

ew!

i would have expected them to stay cool through the 80s, too

• dayday 9,611 Posts

"Cadence and Cascade" is my SHIT!

Come to think of it, I don't think I have too many of their albums myself. I like them though. They're all very good musicians and what I've heard from them, they are definitley on some at times.

Let's keep this thread going. I need to step my Crimson game up.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I used to love 21st century schizoid man, now i'm all about.. "Why don't you just drop in"

- spidey

They're all very good musicians and what I've heard from them, they are definitley on some at times.

RIDICULOUSLY good musicians.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i just copped Red yesterday fer $3 .. very psyched as i've needed this one for awhile

larks tongue is untouchably dope.

• I love me some crismo, anyone ever see the the beat club performance of "larks tounge?" it has the crazy percussionist playing with them, he didnt play live with them for very long so it is a treat to see him going apeshit bangin on stuff...however it the sci-fi convention version of rock...i.e. chicks absolutely HATE this shit. I have never met a girl that didnt go "ewwwww" when they hear it or see a LP cover.

so true.. ladies do not be feelin on crimson

beefheart has the exact same effect.

2 of the only artists i cant listen to when wifey is around.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I never really got into King Crimson although they are astonishingly good players but I've just been reading and interview with Fripp where he talks about the fact that he's appreciated in the US and elsewhere but in the UK people just dismiss their music as prog. Kind of true, I think.

• so true.. ladies do not be feelin on crimson

my girl likes "safe as milk", in fact she said I could have her LP if I digitzed it for her...I need to do evrything I can to keep this girl! she hates the hell outta crimson though.

10:30am

making another pot of coffee

rolling one

red is on the decks

• 10:30am

making another pot of coffee

rolling one

red is on the decks

'Starless' is without a doubt, definitive. hands down the ultimate crimson manifesto. think about it- crimson first and best era begins with Schizoid man, ends with Starless.

funny thing is, first time i heard "Red"..i couldnt tell if it was some 70s shit or some 90s reuinion shit because it sounds SO MODERN at parts!

i love these guys.

• Got "Lizard" the other day. Some nice shit on there.

• so true.. ladies do not be feelin on crimson

my girl likes "safe as milk", in fact she said I could have her LP if I digitzed it for her...I need to do evrything I can to keep this girl! she hates the hell outta crimson though.

That's a special girl...but only if her LP still has the original sticker included.

funny thing is, first time i heard "Red"..i couldnt tell if it was some 70s shit or some 90s reuinion shit because it sounds SO MODERN at parts!

i love these guys.

this is truth

• girgir 329 Posts
    Got "Lizard" the other day. Some nice shit on there.

co-sign on lizard