Spoonie G, Busy Bee, Ghostface

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
OK, I'm trying to figure this out. It thought I knew but now I'm drawing a blank. It's what they use on "Spoonie is Back". Also, I believe it's the same thing on Busy Bee's "Making Cash Money" (but I can't find my copy right now). It's also what Ghostface & Trife used more recently on "Wicked With Lead". I know they Spoonie heavily uses "Funky President" but I'm talking about the opening bit which I don't think is "funky president"....

Comments

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Dang, I was hoping this was about a collaboration between these three.

• ha! sorry, that would be interesting and it's not that odd of a thought. Ghostface is sort of like a combination of the two in some ways...ha!

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    damn now this is buggin me too k...i know what you mean it's that real funky wooohmp...whoamwhoam/wumm-wumm-wumm that's classic but i don't think i ever really knew the source joint on that

oh yeah and i'd rather see a collabo between ghostface, jay, cam'ron, melle mel, gm caz and scotty watty. cop it to me! swagger levels are inappropriate onthat idea.

• damn now this is buggin me too k...i know what you mean it's that real funky wooohmp...whoamwhoam/wumm-wumm-wumm that's classic but i don't think i ever really knew the source joint on that

oh yeah and i'd rather see a collabo between ghostface, jay, cam'ron, melle mel, gm caz and scotty watty. cop it to me! swagger levels are inappropriate onthat idea.

yeah, it's bugging the hell out of me cause I "assumed" I knew it and then someone asked me to get it for them and I was like "yeah, it's...funky president?" and I blanked. I guess I never knew and that dominant "funky president" sample just had me...ha! Until proven otherwise I'm guess that maybe it's just originally from the Spoonie G???

Here's a link to Ghostface that samples just that part, I guess they could have sampled this from the Spoonie G or the Busy B (which I can't find to compare)...

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3V5R33VQL6KH20UR25EHJ1F5T

If anyone needs it that is the full "wicked with lead" instrumental by Ghostface & Trife....somebody gots to know the story on that sample...

• didn't paul nice use that on a biz markie song?

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Yeah, on Turn Tha Party Out. Stezo also used it on Gettin Paid, and I think it's somewhere on Paul's Boutique, or one of the remixes.

• Far as I know that's a Sugarhill houseband original, they didn't replay something else. If they did get that from another record I've never heard it in all my 27 years of reppin' that real schitt.

Got a vocal version of that Ghostface joint? Sounds like it must be super official.

• Yeah, Biz sampled it from Spoonie G. I know because I already done told myself to

Adding more weight to the possibility that Spoonie Is Back might be the "original".... I need to listen to the Ghostface again to see if they sampled it from Spoonie too.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's on the Theodore Unit official mixtape. Been wondering about that one for awhile too, one of those basslines you hear and go "AAh, classic" but can't remember where it's originally from.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    all i know is "new rap language" does not sound like 1980. i love that song.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Yeah, on Turn Tha Party Out. Stezo also used it on Gettin Paid (both songs are on my Rap Cats mix : http://www.hiphopcore.net/audio/rapcats.php3 ), and I think it's somewhere on Paul's Boutique, or one of the remixes.

• Yeah, Biz sampled it from Spoonie G. I know because I already done told myself to

Adding more weight to the possibility that Spoonie Is Back might be the "original".... I need to listen to the Ghostface again to see if they sampled it from Spoonie too.

it is Spoonie Gee- Spoonie is back on Sugarhill. they are trying to recreate funky president. i have the 12inch at home i will try and burn...