colecting whole cataloques(labels)

66666666 29 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
This speaks for itself off courseBut i'm just curious if there are others who like colllecting whole cataloques like i do. I'm into 80's hiphop independent labels and major labels( 4& broadway ,Warlock,Cold chillin (almost done ha,ha,ha)SONY/Columbia and some others.........Oh yeah, i love disco/Rap (Heavenly Star,Greedy and SugarhillI'll put up a list of some 12" in my collections. Any jazz, funk or DISCO, Hiphop freaks who want to speak on it?

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i have a pipedream of trying to get everything on the unidisc sub label manhatten formula.

for awhile i was buying everything on TGO as well.. just due to the toronto conenction.. then i realied 90% of it was crap.

collecting whole back catalogues is a waste of time if you ask me... every label put out some stinkers.

modern labels is a bit differant.. I have almost the entire balihu catalogue.. and i will gladly fill in my couple of blank spots.

• Only label I intent to collect all lps on right now is black jazz.
    I still need 3.

• i'm interested in collecting all TRUE SOUL records, and its few subsidiaries...it seems very reasonable to do this...take a few years...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Only label I intent to collect all lps on right now is black jazz.
    I still need 3.

Which ones you need? I'm missing Walter Bishop "coral keys" and that Kellee Patterson turd that I'm not really looking for.

• It always seems tempting but unless your talking about a label that had a really high level of consistency, you'll always end up with some bullshit records that you'll want to hawk anyway.

I guess it's not a problem with labels with a small number of releases or stuff you can get cheap anyway.

• Sansu..I think I'm only missing 2 now.

I still need 3.

Which ones you need? I'm missing Walter Bishop "coral keys" and that Kellee Patterson turd that I'm not really looking for.

I have said terd if you're at all interested.

• I want everything on Survival.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Only label I intent to collect all lps on right now is black jazz.
    I still need 3.

Thanks but no thanks JP. That lp is a total snoozefest imo.

I still need 3.

Thanks but no thanks JP. That lp is a total snoozefest imo.

It's got a mos def sample!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    that Kellee Patterson turd

I like that album. "Maiden Voyage" is a great cut. Clearly you have bad taste.

$250 should cover this.

Totally worth it. These guys could play their ass off. Unlike some of the loft scenesters. I like them too but come on, you know?

Keep an eye on ebay. There are loads of CD repress cut-outs, but I filled out my entire discography over the course of a year or two for $10 - 15 a pop.

• STAX and sub. labels...(Enterprise, Hip, Volt, Ardent, Respect, Truth, Satellite, We Produce, KoKo, Warren, Partee, Weiss, Chalice, Safice.) I'm about 50% complete on the singles and about 40% complete on the LPs.

HI Records and sub. labels...(M.O.C., Pawn, Mach.) I'm about 50% complete with the singles and about 15% with the LP's. HI LPs never seem to come my way. )

DESIGNER and D-VINE SPIRITUALS Memphis Gospel labels. I have no idea how big these catalogues are. I'm making good progress though.

• Should have told me Andrew, I have a long stack of D-Vine Spiritual 45s.
    At least 15 different titles. Great label. I'll trade these for Jefferson Airplane or Neil Young bootlegs on vinyl.

• Should have told me Andrew, I have a long stack of D-Vine Spiritual 45s.
    At least 15 different titles. Great label. I'll trade these for Jefferson Airplane or Neil Young bootlegs on vinyl.

• Options

collecting whole back catalogues is a waste of time if you ask me... every label put out some stinkers.

Professing all encompassing knowledge is

You're wrong BTW, Kevin.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have all the Black Jazz LPs. Most of them I like a couple I could do without. It was pretty easy to collect them all and I was really into it a couple years ago, which is why I did it. Don't have the urge to do that with any other label however.

• collecting whole back catalogues is a waste of time if you ask me... every label put out some stinkers.

Professing all encompassing knowledge is

You're wrong BTW, Kevin.

Funny stuff!

$250 should cover this.

I've already got these:

Rashied Ali- Rashied Ali Quintet
    Rashied Ali/Frank Lowe- Duo Exchange
    Rashied Ali Quartet- New Directions in Modern Music
    Rashied Ali and LeRoy Jenkins- Swift are the Winds of Life
    Rashied Ali- Moon Flight
    Rashied Ali- NY Ain't So Bad

but I believe there were some others that he released, I'm pretty sure I saw one on ebay awhile back. Anyone know?

I still need 3.

these 3 I don't have:

-Kellee Patterson: ???Maiden Voyage??? (Black Jazz)
    -Walter Bishop, Jr.: ???Keeper of My Soul??? (Black Jazz)
    -Calvin Keys: ???Shawn-Neeq??? (Black Jazz)

• djrdjr 511 Posts

at one time I was after all the 45s in the Prestige catalog, but became more selective at the turn of 2005. There are only three 45s remaining that I am actively searching for:

Eddie Jefferson - Psychedelic Sally
    Melvin Sparks - Who's Gonna Take The Weight
    Johnny Hammond Smith - Soul Talk Part 1/Part 2

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    For some reason I feel like I want to collect the entire Phil-La-of-Soul 45 catalogue. But I am too cheap to really make a run of it.