records you pretty much had to get

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/gospull.jpg>couldn't go wrong with a whole side titled that...

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    plaese to post audio

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    looks better than it sounds..not bad though, slow laid-back jam for like 20 minutes...kinda sloppy.

no actual james brown elements either, but this thread is about shit you were gonna get no matter what..haha

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It was only 50 cents, and I just knew I would want to be able to take it out and stare at it every once in a while...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I just had to get this one for the cover. It turned out to be pretty good Paid $3.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    Paul Hogan reading peter and the wolf...........

It was only 50 cents, and I just knew I would want to be able to take it out and stare at it every once in a while...

yeah i need to buy more girly covers when i see em cheap..should make a wall or something

• not even that great of a record, but my brain says "damn these guys look like they're having a good time"

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    i cant post pics but, The Dialect of African Americans or something like that.Someone on here is rockin it in his avatar. One of my favorite covers ever.

i cant post pics but, The Dialect of African Americans or something like that.Someone on here is rockin it in his avatar. One of my favorite covers ever.

i still regret passing on that...

• WHAT[/b]: The Kids From C.A.P.E.R. was a Saturday morning TV show from the 70's about a group of detectives who also had a rock band (a/k/a The Bloodhound Gang Meets The Monkees). I'll be damned if anyone on this list remembers them. This is from the same label that gave us the Archies (and the band Kansas).

WHERE[/b]: In the 99-cent bin at Reckless Records in Chicago. It was a DJ copy too, just like in the picture here.

WHY[/b]: Gen-X childhood nostalgia. I never play it - the songs are worse than I remember them, and the best song they did was the theme from the show! And it's not on the album! But, I loved the show as a kid (only 13 episodes!) so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Cool cover, crappy record...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

WHAT[/b]: The Kids From C.A.P.E.R. was a Saturday morning TV show from the 70's about a group of detectives who also had a rock band (a/k/a The Bloodhound Gang Meets The Monkees). I'll be damned if anyone on this list remembers them. This is from the same label that gave us the Archies (and the band Kansas).

WHERE[/b]: In the 99-cent bin at Reckless Records in Chicago. It was a DJ copy too, just like in the picture here.

WHY[/b]: Gen-X childhood nostalgia. I never play it - the songs are worse than I remember them, and the best song they did was the theme from the show! And it's not on the album! But, I loved the show as a kid (only 13 episodes!) so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I remember this show, but vaguely....the Stephen Bishop looking short guy with the Ramones bowl-cut is who I recall most vividly.

• Cool cover, crappy record...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

not even that great of a record, but my brain says "damn these guys look like they're having a good time"

I think that is a pretty good record but it was the Quincy Jones sleeve notes that persuaded me to buy this, along with the great cover. Way he tells it you'd think these guys were the greatest talents since Hendrix.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

For the unsuspecting crowd

• not even that great of a record, but my brain says "damn these guys look like they're having a good time"

I think that is a pretty good record but it was the Quincy Jones sleeve notes that persuaded me to buy this, along with the great cover. Way he tells it you'd think these guys were the greatest talents since Hendrix.

(a) I, too, think that this Brothers Johnson LP has a great cover. Seeing two African-American guys on the cover, against a blue sky backdrop, making squinty-eyed "fuck faces" while playing guitar and bass, respectively - this is like the picture definition of "black rock." As it is, the rock influence is mild, but it's still a surprisingly good, solid funk album for 1976. It's not as discoed out as their later LP's.

(b) The Brothers Johnson were popular at one time, so naturally I knew the hits. Even though I already had the single of "I'll Be Good To You," I thought I'd get the whole LP anyway, just to see if there was more where that came from. Besides, it was free (the record store I was working at was about to throw this in the dumpster).

• WHAT[/b]: The Kids From C.A.P.E.R. was a Saturday morning TV show from the 70's about a group of detectives who also had a rock band (a/k/a The Bloodhound Gang Meets The Monkees). I'll be damned if anyone on this list remembers them. This is from the same label that gave us the Archies (and the band Kansas).

I remember this show, but vaguely....the Stephen Bishop looking short guy with the Ramones bowl-cut is who I recall most vividly.

Yeah, he was supposed to be the strong guy.

• Pearson vs. "sounds of the junkyard"?

oh yeah, i forgot about that. on the back, there's a lot of pretty recognizable names of the guys that played with them. harvey mason, billy cobham, dave grusin, etc

my copy still has all the shrink wrap on it, along with a sticker that says 'includes the hit single "get the funk out ma face"'. that's another thing that made me go

Pearson vs. "sounds of the junkyard"?

i'd pretty much have to get that as well.

oh yeah, i forgot about that. on the back, there's a lot of pretty recognizable names of the guys that played with them. harvey mason, billy cobham, dave grusin, etc

my copy still has all the shrink wrap on it, along with a sticker that says 'includes the hit single "get the funk out ma face"'. that's another thing that made me go

"land of ladies" made me buy this album

• The Rutman is floatin' around on Soulseek. It's great.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts