Sam Cooke and Otis Redding Tributes

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I just wanted to remind everybody that next weekend is the anniversery of the deaths of the 2 greatest soul singers of all time.Otis Redding died at age of 26 when his plane crashed into LakeMorona, Wisconsin, during a storm. The date was Dec. 10th 1967.Sam Cooke died at the age of 33 when he was gunned down in a cut-rate motel in a bizarre sequence of events that defies logic. The date was Dec. 11th 1964.So, next sunday the Hook-Up and myself are holding a tribute show for the kings.We will start the night by showing this Sam Cooke documentary...(Have you seen this Guzzo?)After that, chill soul music all night! Lot's of Sam and Otis! Even Sam's early gospel group the Soul Stirrers and Otis's pre-Stax R&B!I think it would be great if any of you would do something like this next weekend. Rather it be playing a few of their songs in your DJ sets or for those of you with radio shows...metioning the history of the dates Dec. 10th and 11th. It would be really cool for Sam and Otis to be playing all over the world next saturday and sunday. Thanks, that is all.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Otis Redding died at age of 26[/b]

That stat never fails to astound me.

And I'm taking bets on Lawrence Fishburne's odds to play Sam in the obligatory future biopic. Me? I just don't think he'd fit.

• Otis Redding died at age of 26[/b]

That stat never fails to astound me.

And I'm taking bets on Lawrence Fishburne's odds to play Sam in the obligatory future biopic. Me? I just don't think he'd fit.

Agreed. Not hatin' on my boy Otis but he looked like he could have been 38.

• Sam Cooke died at the age of 33 when he was gunned down in a cut-rate motel in a bizarre sequence of events that defies logic. The date was Dec. 11th 1964.

a biazzare way to die and another music great's life cut short.

• I'm taking bets on Lawrence Fishburne's odds to play Sam in the obligatory future biopic. Me? I just don't think he'd fit.

Fishburne looks way too intense to be portraying Sam. I'll accept Usher or Chris Tucker quicker than Lawrence "Ike Turner" Fishburne.

Peter Guralnick just released an excellent bio of the man, Dream Boogie. I don't know what the deal is with the title - "boogie" and "Sam Cooke" are not two things I associate with each other - but the book itself is well worth reading.

• I would give up all raers to have attended this show.

• Has anyone read this yet? It's definitely the next music book I pick up. Guralnick knows his stuff and can write.

• Has anyone read this yet?

I just recommended this book about three posts ago.

Did this show even happen? In 1963, Otis hadn't recorded "Try A Little Tenderness" yet, so why would they advertise that song as being one of his hits?

I would have liked to have been there too, if it had happened, but that flyer up there don't look right.

It's a lot of bogus R&B posters going around, and the hell of it is, the people printing them don't even read up on their history. Why would Diana Ross & the Supremes be the Jackson Five's OPENING ACT? A month or so after they broke up? On a bill with Mungo Jerry?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I would give up all raers to have attended this show.

Did this show even happen? In 1963, Otis hadn't recorded "Try A Little Tenderness" yet, so why would they advertise that song as being one of his hits?

I would have liked to have been there too, if it had happened, but that flyer up there don't look right.

It's a lot of bogus R&B posters going around, and the hell of it is, the people printing them don't even read up on their history. Why would Diana Ross & the Supremes be the Jackson Five's OPENING ACT? A month or so after they broke up? On a bill with Mungo Jerry?

Bogus

• Has anyone read this yet?

I just recommended this book about three posts ago.

Your recommendation is duly noted.

I just noticed this...I think I got a little too excited when I first thought about this happening. It did look like one too many headliners for one show. Definitly bogus!

Show some love for the kings today. The immortal and unforgetable.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hey An*rew -

I'm putting together my radio joint for tomorrow right now, and have been pulling stuff for an Otis/Sam tribute set. I'm playing Eddie Floyd's "Big Bird" (I'm still not convinced it was not a tribute, and even if it wasn't intended as one, with time it has become one!), I have the Upsetters "We Remember Otis" LP, Arthur Conley "Otis Sleep On" and will play a couple tunes by each of the guys themselves, I am thinking Otis "Champagne & Wine" and one of his many Cooke covers, and still have to pull out my Sam stuff to choose a couple. Oh, and I am gonna record the Bar Kays straight from my "The!!!Beat" DVD where Otis himself introduces them as "my band!"

Any recommendations of Sam Cooke tribute songs? In fact, if anybody has a really excellent Sam or Otis tribute song that I don't, and want to upload a HQ MP3, it would be awesome, and I'll give a shout out. I may have a couple I am forgetting about, myself. Thanks for starting this thread, it was the inspiration for me to do this set!

• Your the man M*rk!
    I did an all Memphis soul night on friday and "Big Bird" always crushes the dance floor! Fools started screaming when those drums came in. We have a mangled copy of the Upsetters somewhere here at the store but, it's just unplayable. Also, I CAN"T BELIEVE I FORGOT "OTIS SLEEP ON!!!" How could I forget this? This one slipped past me but, I did pull this LP for tonight...just fogot this track...thanks! Play some Otis covering Sam songs. These are some good Sam songs...Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen, Fool's Paradise, Mean Old World, Ease My Troublin' Mind, Last Mile Of The Way, Pilgrim Of Sorrow, Lovable, and of corse the chilling "A Change Is Gonna Come"---tonight's theme song.

This is what another guy is playing on his show...
    Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams To Remember
    Sam Cooke - Meet Me At Mary's Place
    Otis Redding - Chained And Bound
    Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long
    Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home To Me
    Otis Redding - Shake
    Otis Redding - Wholesale Love
    Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers - Nearer To Thee
    Sam Cooke - Everybody Loves To Cha Cha Cha
    Otis Redding - Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
    Sam Cooke - Summertime Part 1
    Otis Redding - Cigarettes And Coffee
    Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - Tramp
    Sam Cooke - Another Saturday Night
    Otis Redding - I'm A Changed Man
    Otis Redding - Don't Mess With Cupid
    Sam Cooke - Cupid
    Otis Redding - Introduction/I'm Depending On You (Live At The Whisky A Go Go)
    Otis Redding - Ole Man Trouble
    Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers - Jesus, I'll Never Forget
    Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart
    Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News
    Otis Redding - Come To Me
    Sam Cooke - Only Sixteen
    Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness
    Sam Cooke - I Need You Now
    Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come
    Otis Redding - Merry Christmas, Baby

Word - that's an ill set. My station is going all hardcore about this new FCC bullshit, where if you are going to play more than 3 songs by the same person in a 4-hour period, you have to turn off the internet stream.

Anyway, it forces you to be a little more creative, so I have been looking for related tracks that aren't by the men themselves. And a little D.I.T.C. turned up this gem I had forgotten about - Johnny Copeland, giving one of the most raw tributes I have ever heard - in this case to Sam Cooke, with some heartwrenching shout-outs to Dinah Washington & Nat King Cole thrown in at the end!

Dig:

Johnny Copeland - Dedicated to the Greatest

• a little D.I.T.C. turned up this gem I had forgotten about - Johnny Copeland, giving one of the most raw tributes I have ever heard - in this case to Sam Cooke, with some heartwrenching shout-outs to Dinah Washington & Nat King Cole thrown in at the end!

Also: "Soul Heaven" by the Dixie Drifter, which tributed the same three people. Only difference was, the Drifter gave equal weight to Sam, Dinah and Nat. Johnny just recorded a song about Sam and threw in references to Dinah and Nat at the end.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    didn't realize they died so young...

i'm now interested in the details surrounding sam cooke's death.

by the way, nice set ideas.

I wish I could play the Odell Brown tribute to Otis LP...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

80% of those posters you see with that background are fake...like the Doors with Led Zeppelin... shit for people to put in their dorm room...

otis tributes... see:

Otis- Eddy Mitchell

just got back froma digging trip in montreal,am amped on french music again...

"again?"

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

"again?"

my grime obsession had pushed in off to the side... picked up way too much stuff to list all,but got:

a shitload of quebecois garage, a french version of "superstition", 3 france gall LP's from 64-67, an LP with great quebecois versions of "you keep me hanging on", "sunshine of your love" and more, this insane pysch record with one funky track,a few dupes you might wanna trade with me, and about 30 more things...

Oh, I got trades for you...

You gotta get MC G to drop a line that rhymes "trunk full-a funk" with "Jacques Dutronc"

• 80% of those posters you see with that background are fake...like the Doors with Led Zeppelin...

you know, whoever's doing those posters could probably benefit from some basic history research. if you're gonna fake a staple singers show from the sixties, don't go usin' a photo from the seventies!

otis tributes... see:

Otis- Eddy Mitchell

Also see: "We're Gonna Miss You, Otis" by A. Friend (actually Earl Gaines...in my opinion, it's not very good, but it is an Otis tribute).

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I would give up all raers to have attended this show.

Not sure whether this is a genuine poster but Try a Little Tenderness had already been solid record for for Aretha and for Sam Cooke as well, I think... when did Otis record it - 1966 or something? I've seen that poster before without all the colours - just red and black ink - but I think the show did happen.

Not sure whether this is a genuine poster but Try a Little Tenderness had already been solid record for for Aretha and for Sam Cooke as well, I think... when did Otis record it - 1966 or something? I've seen that poster before without all the colours - just red and black ink - but I think the show did happen.

It could have happened, but not with this flyer!

In 1963, Otis and Wilson weren't the stars they became. They were around, but they hadn't really blown up yet; Lloyd Price and Jackie Wilson were more popular at the time, and would have likely had their names as big as Cooke's. And even though "Tenderness" had already been recorded by others, Otis didn't get his shot at it till 1966, as you've said.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

It could have happened, but not with this flyer!

In 1963, Otis and Wilson weren't the stars they became. They were around, but they hadn't really blown up yet; Lloyd Price and Jackie Wilson were more popular at the time, and would have likely had their names as big as Cooke's. And even though "Tenderness" had already been recorded by others, Otis didn't get his shot at it till 1966, as you've said.
    Yeah, you're right. Whatever happened at the Paramount on that day, this wasn't the flyer that went with it. Kind of a wierd idea to make up fake concert posters for shows that may or may not have happened. Musical revisionism motivated by nostalgia x moolah, I guess.