uh oh....J5 sample ID?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i hate asking these on here but seriously...anybody know what that sample is on the Quality Intro (the "quality" track before quality control on the lp) that bassline is CRAZY...ive always wanted to know this, more since i got the litmus test mix last year...probably one of my favorite samples ive ever heard...i'd but that shit probably gets updated once ever 5 years...

Comments

• Trinikas "Remember Me" 45 on Pearce.

Oklahoma girls recording for a Kansas City label circa 1973.
    Originally produced by Louis Chachere and uncleared on the J5 album!

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Great two-sider. Worth the price imo.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Great two-sider. Worth the price imo.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Great two-sider. Worth twice imo.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

• -

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I really feel like a lame for balking at the $125 it was going for back when I started looking now... I think I actually even bid like $75 which would be a record for me...

Trinikas is by far one of my all time top 10 joints. I dream one day someone digs up some recordings they did that neve got released and gets them out.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That LP that they first appeared on... the high school thing, commemorating a chick who died... that doesn't have any other Trinikas material on it does it?

Any ballers out there that could upload that whole thing??

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Nice[/b] track.

You can do better than that.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That LP that they first appeared on... the high school thing, commemorating a chick who died... that doesn't have any other Trinikas material on it does it?

Any ballers out there that could upload that whole thing??

If I remember all this correctly (never exactly a given), The "chick" was an original member of the Trinikas, pre-Pearce. I've got the track from the Century LP at home - it's a different, rawer version of the Pearce A-side, "Black is Beautiful" (as "Remember Me" was a B). It's the only Trinikas track on there.

• I really feel like a lame for balking at the $125 it was going for back when I started looking now... I think I actually even bid like $75 which would be a record for me...

tell me about it. i snoozed once for a little under a bill, been looking in vain ever since. i missed a $60 buy it now too. oooooof.
    one of my favorite tracks absolutely. anone who wants to trade, give a shout.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It got re-issued (legitmately) on one of the Jazzman 45s. There's a better chance of finding it that way... and I think it could also have been on a Jazzman comp too...

• It got re-issued (legitmately) on one of the Jazzman 45s. There's a better chance of finding it that way... and I think it could also have been on a Jazzman comp too...

did they do the 3rd Guitar reissue too? I saw that on TTL for like $10 or some shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nice[/b] track.

You can do better than that.

I love this sweet-soul-with-funk combo shit. Priceless.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I've been playing that Sandi and Mataues track alot lately (on CD of course - Funk Spectrum vol. 1)....jesus that track is fantastic.

• The first appearance of the Trinikas on record was performing a live version of "Black Is Beautiful" on the Oklahoma City-based Douglass High School album entitled Black Is Beautiful, custom pressed on Century 33594 in 1970. They school was compelled to also release the Trinikas tune on a 45 (credited as Debbie Sheffield and the Trinikas, backed by a choral piece) on Century 34361. The Trinikas original line-up was Debbie Sheffield, Lenise Morgan, Georgetta Dixon and Marsha Bratton. Soon after the live recording of the song Ms. Bratton unexpectedly died, and the group, seeking fame with their "Black Is Beautiful" tune, traveled to Kansas City to record with local organist Louis Chachere. Recording at Cavern Studios in Independence, Missouri (basically the northeast end of KC), the group coupled the Bratton eulogy "Remember Me" with an updated "Black Is Beautiful" and released the two sides on Cavern's custom Pearce imprint sometime in late '71 or early '72. The Trinikas are not known to have made any additional records.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    The first appearance of the Trinikas on record was performing a live version of "Black Is Beautiful" on the Oklahoma City-based Douglass High School album entitled Black Is Beautiful, custom pressed on Century 33594 in 1970. They school was compelled to also release the Trinikas tune on a 45 (credited as Debbie Sheffield and the Trinikas, backed by a choral piece) on Century 34361. The Trinikas original line-up was Debbie Sheffield, Lenise Morgan, Georgetta Dixon and Marsha Bratton. Soon after the live recording of the song Ms. Bratton unexpectedly died, and the group, seeking fame with their "Black Is Beautiful" tune, traveled to Kansas City to record with local organist Louis Chachere. Recording at Cavern Studios in Independence, Missouri (basically the northeast end of KC), the group coupled the Bratton eulogy "Remember Me" with an updated "Black Is Beautiful" and released the two sides on Cavern's custom Pearce imprint sometime in late '71 or early '72. The Trinikas are not known to have made any additional records.

Motherfukin once again. Seriously, you're insane with this stuff. Thank you.

The Trinikas are not known to have made any additional records.

Let me live in my ignorant dreams of finding others! Damn You!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    thank you so much!

too much knowledge being dropped

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    actually, additional question...know the name of the bass player on this track??

if you do my mind will officially be blown

• Okay, I have a J5 sample question which I've never yet found out.

And I can't cause they don't have it.

What was the hook used on 'Setup' ?

I know its only about 20 seconds long, but that sample is the bomb.

• The first appearance of the Trinikas on record was performing a live version of "Black Is Beautiful" on the Oklahoma City-based Douglass High School album entitled Black Is Beautiful, custom pressed on Century 33594 in 1970. They school was compelled to also release the Trinikas tune on a 45 (credited as Debbie Sheffield and the Trinikas, backed by a choral piece) on Century 34361. The Trinikas original line-up was Debbie Sheffield, Lenise Morgan, Georgetta Dixon and Marsha Bratton. Soon after the live recording of the song Ms. Bratton unexpectedly died, and the group, seeking fame with their "Black Is Beautiful" tune, traveled to Kansas City to record with local organist Louis Chachere. Recording at Cavern Studios in Independence, Missouri (basically the northeast end of KC), the group coupled the Bratton eulogy "Remember Me" with an updated "Black Is Beautiful" and released the two sides on Cavern's custom Pearce imprint sometime in late '71 or early '72. The Trinikas are not known to have made any additional records.

So that's why the track sounds like a lament. Thanks Dante! Love the way teh guitar-line enters the song a few counts after the singing starts :goosebumps:

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    The Trinikas are not known to have made any additional records.

That's a f**ckin shame, too. Thanks for the info.

I know Dante knows this, but this is the same Louis Chachere that recorded 'The Hen'.

• So that's why the track sounds like a lament. Thanks Dante! Love the way teh guitar-line enters the song a few counts after the singing starts :goosebumps:

and the horns, too, at the beginning - coming in all dark and heavy. solid. the whole song is :goosebumps:

and yes indeed - thanks for the knowledge.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

I know Dante knows this, but this is the same Louis Chachere that recorded 'The Hen'.

...and believe it or not, but there is about 3 different pressings of 'the hen', 2 of which came before[/b] the Paula pressing. And Mr Chachere didnt even know about it (Paula press) until a few years ago!

• I know Dante knows this, but this is the same Louis Chachere that recorded 'The Hen'.

...and believe it or not, but there is about 3 different pressings of 'the hen', 2 of which came before[/b] the Paula pressing. And Mr Chachere didnt even know about it (Paula press) until a few years ago!

I didn't know that! What labels?