D.R. Hooker

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
I've listened to this about 2 times per day since Breakself put it up.Just wanted to reiterate that this is probably the best psych LP i've heard to date.I'll buy a copy if anybody wants to pay their rent.Weather Girl & Falling Asleep are my favs, but the whole thing is a mindbloodpoopshiter.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    it does indeed rule.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I cant bring myself to listen to it because i work for a cocksucker named DR. Hooker.

I cant bring myself to listen to it because i work for a cocksucker name DR. Hooker.

HAHAHA!!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I've listened to this about 2 times per day since Breakself put it up.

Just wanted to reiterate that this is probably the best psych LP i've heard to date.

I'll buy a copy if anybody wants to pay their rent.

Super cosign!!! This album is absolutely ridiculous. My favorite is Forge Your Own Chains.

Apparently he has another album. Anyone have that?

DJ Ferrari

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    My favorite is Forge Your Own Chains.

That's what I'm saying. Every fucking track is a bowl mover.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    true, it is 'that heat'
    and not to be confused with Dr. Hooker, which might be a different album altogether.
    Ask some old psych heads on this board, I'm sure someone knows someone with a copy.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    That's what I'm saying. Every fucking track is a bowl mover.

Seriously... I might convert to Xian on the strength of this LP alone

DJ Ferrari

is there a reish of this available? preferably on wax.

• is there a reish of this available? preferably on wax.

Yes, their was a re-ish in the 80's I think. Also hard to find and not cheap.

• I've listened to this about 2 times per day since Breakself put it up.

Just wanted to reiterate that this is probably the best psych LP i've heard to date.

Weather Girl & Falling Asleep are my favs, but the whole thing is a mindbloodpoopshiter.

I know of a copy for sale $1000

fuck.

Weather Girl & Falling Asleep are my favs, but the whole thing is a mindbloodpoopshiter.

FUCK!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

PM

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Right, but not terrible. By contrast, I snagged the Agape reissue for $7.99.

Again: What is said in the backmasked outro of this album? I MUST KNOW.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    could someone reup this? i missed it the first time around. sounds like something i NEED to hear

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    By contrast, I snagged the Agape reissue for $7.99.

Agape is a killer too and shant be slept on. Can be had for less than $100 easily

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    on second thought, maybe not so easily

http://www.subliminalsounds.se/DOK/hooker2.html

i think these dudes reissued it recently... i know my boyfriend got a copy from somewhere a few months ago that wasn't big money, and this is the only one i can find.. don't see it on their catalogue anymore though.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

FUCK!

One went for $600 (VG) or so three weeks ago in one of those private e-mail auctions. I actually put down $1,000 on another psych lp in the same auction and lost ;( There is a reissue of the Dr Hooker in Montreal if you want it.

i think these dudes reissued it recently... i know my boyfriend got a copy from somewhere a few months ago that wasn't big money, and this is the only one i can find.. don't see it on their catalogue anymore though.

tell ness to post more.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

The bonus tracks are the songs from the other lp/comp he had. The one with the black spiral thing on the front. You can get an OG of the second lp for $49 from some dood in France on Gemm I think. I found it back when the first lp was posted on SS but I didn't bother buying it.

tell ness to post more.

HA.

• My biggest "E-come up" this year- DR hooker.Wonder why I got it for a fraction of the going rate?Very nice to have this in my life!

• I've listened to this about 2 times per day since Breakself put it up.

No shit. I buy records from this psych guy who has almost every thing raer on CD,
    Laghonia, Bent Wind, etc. He was not particularly fond of this and said that even 20 bucks for a CD was a waste. He described it as almost a field recording and that the sound quality was bad. I may have to try it out though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

No shit. I buy records from this psych guy who has almost every thing raer on CD,
    Laghonia, Bent Wind, etc. He was not particularly fond of this and said that even 20 bucks for a CD was a waste. He described it as almost a field recording and that the sound quality was bad. I may have to try it out though.

This is better, IMO, than Laghonia. Sound quality is a bit unfortunate, but - hey - it's a private press.

• Dude, which Laghonia? Because not much I've heard is better than Etcetera. I like Glue too, but Etcetera floors me every time. I have to hear this shit now. He made it sound all amateurish. He didn't like Corpus either, has anyone heard that?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Etcetera

I don't know why I do. Maybe it's my ultra-religious past that I can resonate with (in the sickest, most self-depricating manner possible). You might not. Give it a listen.

• Have you heard Fraction? Private psych from California. Some of it is somewhat lame in that its unabashed Morrison-biting from the lead singer. However, the track Come Out of Her is fucking fire. I mention it because the lyrics are esoteric/occult and vaguely Christian in parts. Worth checking out.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Have you heard Fraction? Private psych from California. Some of it is somewhat lame in that its unabashed Morrison-biting from the lead singer. However, the track Come Out of Her is fucking fire. I mention it because the lyrics are esoteric/occult and vaguely Christian in parts. Worth checking out.

Thanks for the good word. I'll try to track it down.

Does the title reference Revelation 18?