sonny sharrock appreciation

2»

Comments

• While I'm not a fusion fan, I love the Tony Williams Lifetime (on Polydor) as well as Miles Davis'"rock" albums from the 70's, and I'm assuming Sharrock is next in line.

Sonny is far more harsh & experamental. half hendrix half free jazz. I wouldn't really call him fusion.

I guess that's what I'm looking for, then. And since "fusion" originally meant rock + jazz, that's why I used that word. (And Hendrix WAS rock, so...) Not trying to imply that he sounded like Weather Report (MY GOD, I HOPE HE DIDN'T) or anything.

Somebody else mentioned James "Blood" Ulmer, who I AM familiar with and do have a few of his albums. I dig him too.

And Larry Coryell - I have this comp on Vanguard that goes chronologically from '69-'79(?). As God is my witness, the only tracks on that anthology I like are from '69. Everything else is for Jaco Pastorius fans only (you TALK about "not a good look"!). I've probably told this tale before on the Strut, but it's worth dredging out again for this thread.

I would revist The Essential Larry Coryell album. There are some great jams on there stiffneck with Elvin Jones is the only one I can think of off the top of my head right now, but there are at least four other great songs on that comp.

• What's next, are you going to say don't like McLaughlin's playing on Extrapolation?

nah, that's one of my all-time favorite guitar records

I knew we could find some common ground on that one.

extrapolation is such a great record! but i haven't had much luck with finding any other john mclaughlin records that i like, unless you include lifetime's 'emergency!'. i am not really into the mahavishnu orchestra stuff either. is there another mclaughlin record aside from extrapolation you guys consider essential?

I like Devotion and My Goals Beyond. I would also consider his work on Tribute to Jack Johnson essential.

agreed...also this one:

I don't know how many $1 copies I passed up but I finally picked it up when I noticed Larry Young is on it as well, and holyyyy shit it's incredible.

Also this one:

• What's next, are you going to say don't like McLaughlin's playing on Extrapolation?

nah, that's one of my all-time favorite guitar records

I knew we could find some common ground on that one.

extrapolation is such a great record! but i haven't had much luck with finding any other john mclaughlin records that i like, unless you include lifetime's 'emergency!'. i am not really into the mahavishnu orchestra stuff either. is there another mclaughlin record aside from extrapolation you guys consider essential?

I like Devotion and My Goals Beyond. I would also consider his work on Tribute to Jack Johnson essential.

agreed...also this one:

I don't know how many $1 copies I passed up but I finally picked it up when I noticed Larry Young is on it as well, and holyyyy shit it's incredible.

Also this one:

thanks for the recommendations!

• Larry Coryell - I have this comp on Vanguard that goes chronologically from '69-'79(?). As God is my witness, the only tracks on that anthology I like are from '69. Everything else is for Jaco Pastorius fans only (you TALK about "not a good look"!). I've probably told this tale before on the Strut, but it's worth dredging out again for this thread.

I would revist The Essential Larry Coryell album. There are some great jams on there stiffneck with Elvin Jones is the only one I can think of off the top of my head right now, but there are at least four other great songs on that comp.

This is the compilation that I have:

Wish I could find a bigger photo - it's a CD called Improvisations. Don't remember whether "Stiff Neck" was on there.

• Larry Coryell - I have this comp on Vanguard that goes chronologically from '69-'79(?). As God is my witness, the only tracks on that anthology I like are from '69. Everything else is for Jaco Pastorius fans only (you TALK about "not a good look"!). I've probably told this tale before on the Strut, but it's worth dredging out again for this thread.

This is the compilation that I have:

Wish I could find a bigger photo - it's a CD called Improvisations. Don't remember whether "Stiff Neck" was on there.

OK yeah..I'm not familar with that one.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    [img]I can???t really get into the one with him and his wife on the cover, but everything else with him is great.

Whoa, Black Woman the one album by Sonny that I never get tired of listening to. It's WILD. Linda's "singing" is too.

• I like this one:

unfortunately now out of print....