anyone been dis-engaged?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i've got a beautiful, and platinum ring for sale.

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• Options
    The weed did you in, eh.

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i was paying off the loan to buy the ring, over a year after she moved out.

The weed did you in, eh.

K.
    naw man, mother-in-law.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    wha happened, magic? soulstrut shall be your shoulder to cry on. and your buddies to talk shit with about that evil bitch to, if that'll make you feel better.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's the conventional wisdom on this: if you break off an engagement, are you obligated to give the ring back? Or is it one of those, "once given, it's kept sucka!" kind of deals?

i was paying off the loan to buy the ring, over a year after she moved out. [/quote
    ]

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    What's the conventional wisdom on this: if you break off an engagement, are you obligated to give the ring back? Or is it one of those, "once given, it's kept sucka!" kind of deals?

i was paying off the loan to buy the ring, over a year after she moved out. [/quote
    ]

I think it depends on the situation. If it just didn't work out, then she should keep it. If she cheated on you, then you should get the ring back.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i've got a beautiful, and platinum ring for sale.
    This is with your current lady? If so, I'm sorry to hear that.

Plus side: you can get some doe w/ said ring.

i stole a girl from a shitty relationship, she asked me to marry her on my 26th birthday, and i said yes. i bought a ring, remodeled my house (to her liking), and then her mom and i had an argument. her mom said that i'd never make enough money to take care of her daughter, and i disagreed. mom was pretty freaky, drove the girls dad to suicide (no joke), and the girl thought that maybe her mom was right. ouch. that's that... but it's old news, and i live with an awesome girl who has no problem spending all of my money, no matter how much there is.

this is my girlfriend... the other girl gave me back the ring.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

i was paying off the loan to buy the ring, over a year after she moved out.

I always thought if the gurl broke it off, she gives back the ring. When I went through it, we both broke it off and I didn't get the ring back. I got the money I paid for it tho. She's a stand up gurl tho. Nothing but respect for her.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I was the disengager about 3 years ago.
    Never bought an engagement ring, so no need to stress over keeping a ring or not.

I was the disengager about 3 years ago.
    Never bought an engagement ring, so no need to stress over keeping a ring or not.
    mike, now's a good time to buy...

• No, but I've been DisinHAIRited.

• her mom said that i'd never make enough money to take care of her daughter
    But your a baller Matt. Moms was trippin. Theme song "Your Mom's In My Business" by K Solo. I bet her Mom was hatin cause she wasn't gettin a piece of the action. At least your current girl is hella cool.

her mom said that i'd never make enough money to take care of her daughter
    But your a baller Matt. Moms was trippin. Theme song "Your Mom's In My Business" by K Solo. I bet her Mom was hatin cause she wasn't gettin a piece of the action. At least your current girl is hella cool.

fuck! i forgot that song. hahahahahha! yeah, her mom was def not a good look.... but luckily MARKLATENCY said he'd buy it to propose to GUZZO

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dude

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Magic,

Yep, I've been dis-engaged. I got engaged to my ex right before I moved to Ohio for graduate school. The plan was that we'd both work on getting our respective degrees, and then marry after we finished. Well, she never finished even a two-year degree because her main ambition in life was....TO GET MARRIED. Mine, on the other hand, was to earn my doctoral degree and either go into consulting or academics. Needless to say, ole' girl was growing impatient with me earning my degree (being supported only by a 10K-a-year assistantship). She tried to pressure me into marrying her WHILE in school (note my meager wage above), to which I said no. So, she became friendly with some G.I. dude while I was away, and I guess that fool didn't mind dating a deadbeat (BK Bitty at the time and later a bridal shop; How ironic?). She eventually broke up with me on a Sunday, only to call back crying on that Wednesday to say she made a mistake. I said, "oh no, that was the best thing to happen to me, so I can find a women with ambition like me." I guess someone got in her ear to tell her how she fucked up. Oh well, her loss because wifey stuck with a brotha and now lives lovely.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Magic,

Yep, I've been dis-engaged. I got engaged to my ex right before I moved to Ohio for graduate school. The plan was that we'd both work on getting our respective degrees, and then marry after we finished. Well, she never finished even a two-year degree because her main ambition in life was....TO GET MARRIED. Mine, on the other hand, was to earn my doctoral degree and either go into consulting or academics. Needless to say, ole' girl was growing impatient with me earning my degree (being supported only by a 10K-a-year assistantship). She tried to pressure me into marrying her WHILE in school (note my meager wage above), to which I said no. So, she became friendly with some G.I. dude while I was away, and I guess that fool didn't mind dating a deadbeat (BK Bitty at the time and later a bridal shop; How ironic?). She eventually broke up with me on a Sunday, only to call back crying on that Wednesday to say she made a mistake. I said, "oh no, that was the best thing to happen to me, so I can find a women with ambition like me." I guess someone got in her ear to tell her how she fucked up. Oh well, her loss because wifey stuck with a brotha and now lives lovely.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    man, you always have the best moral-of-the-story realhead tales... thanks hommie.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Damn, that's reply was .
    Hey Magic,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Magic,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

man, you always have the best moral-of-the-story realhead tales... thanks hommie.

Yep Magic (and O-Dub),

Those young girls need to learn to stick by a guy with promise and stop pressing. They want all the rewards without enduring the struggle. There is nothing more beautiful than making it together. Instead, those chickenheads end up rushing to marry some knucklehead instead standing by the guy on the grind trying to make a come-up. They'd rather have money now (and sometimes get the black eyes and bruises that come with that) instead working hard and gettin' that shit themselves. Over time, they learn that dependency has its price (gotta suck that dick when he asks). Then, they fuck that up by cheating with another guy they really like, because they don't really love their dude since he's just the meal-ticket. Don't fuck with deadbeat broads, they're nothing but trouble, and that's word!!!! If she's not doing shit, just fuck her (if you wish, and don't forget the jim hat) and then move on. Stay with a girl that's going somewhere (and is emotional stable)!!!! I'll talk about "histrionic chicks" in my next installment.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Magic,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yep Magic (and O-Dub),

Those young girls need to learn to stick by a guy with promise and stop pressing. They want all the rewards without enduring the struggle. There is nothing more beautiful than making it together. Instead, those chickenheads end up rushing to marry some knucklehead instead standing by the guy on the grind trying to make a come-up. They'd rather have money now (and sometimes get the black eyes and bruises that come with that) instead working hard and gettin' that shit themselves. Over time, they learn that dependency has its price (gotta suck that dick when he asks). Then, they fuck that up by cheating with another guy they really like, because they don't really love their dude since he's just the meal-ticket. Don't fuck with deadbeat broads, they're nothing but trouble, and that's word!!!! If she's not doing shit, just fuck her (if you wish) and then move on. Stay with a girl that's going somewhere (and is emotional stable)!!!! I'll talk about "histrionic chicks" in my next installment.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    seriously, i wish you had been my college professor. that whole response is

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    good story big stacks, as always.

i was engaged for about 3 months. this was a few years back. she had moved to florida and i was going to move down there, but then i started getting some real good opportunities here and wanted to stay for a while to see what i could make of them. i asked her to think about moving back after she had finished her program she went down there for(last year of nursing school) but she said there was absolutely no way she was coming back, regardless if i was the only reason. ouch. i decided i had made the wrong decision, told her to send the ring back. she did!

7 months later she was already married to some other dude, so i knew i had made the right decision by breaking up with her, and i was able to sell the ring for 2/3rds what i paid for, which is really good. plus, those opportunites that i stayed here for have developed into my career which i don't think would have come together like it has had i moved back then.

i got real lucky. but now i am petrified of commitment.

Hey Magic,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yep Magic (and O-Dub),

Those young girls need to learn to stick by a guy with promise and stop pressing. They want all the rewards without enduring the struggle. There is nothing more beautiful than making it together. Instead, those chickenheads end up rushing to marry some knucklehead instead standing by the guy on the grind trying to make a come-up. They'd rather have money now (and sometimes get the black eyes and bruises that come with that) instead working hard and gettin' that shit themselves. Over time, they learn that dependency has its price (gotta suck that dick when he asks). Then, they fuck that up by cheating with another guy they really like, because they don't really love their dude since he's just the meal-ticket. Don't fuck with deadbeat broads, they're nothing but trouble, and that's word!!!! If she's not doing shit, just fuck her (if you wish) and then move on. Stay with a girl that's going somewhere (and is emotional stable)!!!! I'll talk about "histrionic chicks" in my next installment.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Funny you should say this, Magic, because I do drop real talk on my students in class (in a cleaner form, of course). I give it to them straight about life in general as well as how to succeed in their careers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Funny you should say this, Magic, because I do drop real talk on my students in class (in a cleaner form, of course). I give it to them straight about life in general as well as how to succeed in their careers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

there needs to be more professors like you in the world. my hat is off to you Prof. Stacks.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    almost

a couple years back, i was rakin in the dough, saved up 5g's. This was to be spent on
    a) engagement ring
    b) downpayment for new car (2003 altima, it was back in 2003)

anyways, i chose option b, the car.

this was after being with my x for three years, we didnt live together but practically did, i was either staying at her place or vice versa most the time. Anyways, i moved 4 hours away to go to pharmacy school, and we split like 3 months after the move. I wasnt planning on going to pharmacy school at the time, i had a BS in chemistry and a good paying job, but got the acceptance letter in the mail, and it was a way to try something new, but i dont regret it at all. My altima hasnt left me yet.

almost

a couple years back, i was rakin in the dough, saved up 5g's. This was to be spent on
    a) engagement ring

this was after being with my x for three years, we didnt live together but practically did, i was either staying at her place or vice versa most the time. Anyways, i moved 4 hours away to go to pharmacy school, and we split like 3 months after the move. I wasnt planning on going to pharmacy school at the time, i had a BS in chemistry and a good paying job, but got the acceptance letter in the mail, and it was a way to try something new, but i dont regret it at all. My altima hasnt left me yet.
    that sounds like she was on the back burner from the start... not necessarily a bad thing, but i really love my car too.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    almost

a) engagement ring

i should make this clear, the 5g's was for EITHER a ring or a car downpayment, not both

a year after getting my car, which i raked up tons of milage on (51k since the summer of 2003, many miami to tallahassee trips), on the highway, a flying bedframe flew into my from bumper.