D4L

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I know Im a bit late, but im checking out some of their other stuff, and wow.............Where do we go from here? Its so bad its almost Im kinda starting to like it. But god damn. This is next level shit.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I mean, i think they are on to something here. I like the super super cheap sounding beats. I mean like mariopaint level cheapness.

Ive actually heard these guys are street dudes or something. If so, they are pretty much the ultimate embodyment of the "Im not a rapper" ethos. This is because no one would ever concievably mistake any of thes guys for one.

And that dance they invented, where you just hold your leg behind your back? AMazing. Best hip hop dance ever.

Its like hip hop on easy mode.

http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28FL44MRZMX2C1RSCKGXLR45RZ

heres a sampling of what im talking about.

How long till I can read a huge sacha jenkins Village voice piece on how these guys are the new andy warhol and shit?

HINT: Most of you will know them as the "LAFFY TAFFY" guys.

• I havent heard the album but I heard it was aight in that "special" kinda way...nah I heard there was some banging cuts on it. true?

Please, I need someone to explain this to me.

I havent heard the album but I heard it was aight in that "special" kinda way...nah I heard there was some banging cuts on it. true?

Ill let you know. So far i wouldnt say theres any bangers per say. But its a facemelting experience regardless. Aparently it cost them 5 dollars to make it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Ill let you know. So far i wouldnt say theres any bangers per say. But its a facemelting experience regardless. Aparently it cost them 5 dollars to make it.

I liken this to the Crime Mob LP: Simple concept and an execution that works, not rocket science but the results can be catchy as hell.

I liken this to the Crime Mob LP: Simple concept and an execution that works, not rocket science but the results can be catchy as hell.

No. not exactly. D4L is pretty fuckin terrible man. Its just that they are so bad that they kinda trancend all discussion of quality. Just off the scale.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Did I miss your sarcasm or something?

I'm just glad they did "them" nahmean?

Better than recycled beats, as dumb as the result is, but I digress.

They're like Wesley Willis rappers without the artistic, hand-drawn schizoid appeal.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

How long till I can read a huge sacha jenkins Village voice piece on how these guys are the new andy warhol and shit?

• i prefer crime mob. but i do have doubles of the laffy taffy 12". i dunno, just had to get it...not like i play it much, if ever.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

No. not exactly. D4L is pretty fuckin terrible man. Its just that they are so bad that they kinda trancend all discussion of quality. Just off the scale.

try to get a hold of their EXCLUSIVE DVD which i got from the radio station here. it might give you some insight. the interviews are hilarious and there is also some live shit which is out of control.

try to get a hold of their EXCLUSIVE DVD which i got from the radio station here. it might give you some insight. the interviews are hilarious and there is also some live shit which is out of control.

hmmm...sounds like i need this.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i never was really feeling the laffy taffy joint, but that im a man joint that was posted up is pretty decent.

anyone know of a spot online to cop the dvd, ive heard elsewhere it was halarious as well.

• Hey, I read somewhere, I forget where, about there being this new form of southern rap or crunk or whatever that is like the most minimalistic, sparse schitt in the world. Like, dudes just saying their simple little rhymes over, like, handclaps or something. REAL basic and simplistic. It's suppossed to be the hot new thing, I guess. Any of y'all know what I'm talkin' 'bout? Are D4L a part of this new movement? I gotta admit, it sounds intriguing if nothing else.

• I think your post went over everyone's head.

D4L is tha truth...

• i hate that song laffy taffy. i hate that i sing that song laffy taffy all the time. but i like the idea of making a album for $5. and i like the "so bad its good" aesthetic. other than that i cant offer anything except that i seen the video and its just alright.

anyways, here's some fucked up shit goings on around here.
    LA is awesome

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i hate that song laffy taffy. i hate that i sing that song laffy taffy all the time. but i like the idea of making a album for $5. and i like the "so bad its good" aesthetic. other than that i cant offer anything except that i seen the video and its just alright.

anyways, here's some fucked up shit goings on around here.
    LA is awesome

i luv laffy taffy

Hey, I read somewhere, I forget where, about there being this new form of southern rap or crunk or whatever that is like the most minimalistic, sparse schitt in the world. Like, dudes just saying their simple little rhymes over, like, handclaps or something. REAL basic and simplistic. It's suppossed to be the hot new thing, I guess. Any of y'all know what I'm talkin' 'bout? Are D4L a part of this new movement? I gotta admit, it sounds intriguing if nothing else.

Everything I keep hearing indicates that this is the case. I dont think ive heard a d4l song thats more than 3 notes yet. I havent heard of a song thats just handclaps. That might be next level! I was thinking of trying to sell a beat thats just hi hats. Just to see how that might go over lol.

• I was thinking of trying to sell a beat thats just hi hats. Just to see how that might go over lol.

Get your late pass from Dizzy Bull!

• there's like at least 5 notes in that beat you posted

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    You know what I love about Laffy Taffy? The first verse is pretty coherent and easy to follow. You can make out what dude is saying. And as you progress to the second verse, "Come on trick, come on trick...." it just turns into this marble mouth mush "ah tray came bo romp en bay" or some shit like that, just cracks me up. If you got the accapella, check it out.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Hey, I read somewhere, I forget where, about there being this new form of southern rap or crunk or whatever that is like the most minimalistic, sparse schitt in the world. Like, dudes just saying their simple little rhymes over, like, handclaps or something. REAL basic and simplistic. It's suppossed to be the hot new thing, I guess. Any of y'all know what I'm talkin' 'bout? Are D4L a part of this new movement? I gotta admit, it sounds intriguing if nothing else.

intimate club?

there's like at least 5 notes in that beat you posted

hmmm.. i know but that one of there more complex beats. I think the optinum number is 4 notes. As exemplified by laffy taffy. First you play the 4 notes, preferably on the 1, 2, 3, and 4 beats, and then the hi hats come in. and then youve got your song.

intimate club?

No intimate club is way more complicated then what were discussing here.