Streets Of San Francisco sndtrk

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Is there a soundtrack available for this classic TV show? I've been watching old episodes and I've notived that there is a lot of Funk on that show. Anyone have info on the musicians behind the music??

Comments

• For a while when I was unemployeed I watched that show almost every morning, because it was that or Regis and Kathy Lee. It is a good soundtrack. I have never seen it on wax though.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    It is a good soundtrack. Sunday and episode came on and there was some funky ass music playing as the two main charactors were walking up some stairs. Never seen it on wax either.

• Pat Williams Orchestra

i found out using the intrawebz.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I thought there was only a 45...

• here he has a website, but if the theme is markedly different from the general soundtrack, he may just have composed the theme.

http://www.patrickwilliams.net/html_index.html

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Pat Williams Orchestra

They're the ones behind the Funk?

• Pat Williams Orchestra

They're the ones behind the Funk?

That sounds like it was the only funky thing he did, and it doesn't really make up for the fact that he produced an Amy Grant Christmas Reocrd.

• there's also a version of the title theme on Henry Mancini's "Cop Show Themes."

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here's the versions I have:

JOHN GREGORY ORCHESTRA
    Streets Of San Francisco/Cannon (Philips 76)
    This is another example of having a tune on an album already, but not being able to pass it up when seeing it on 45. This single comes from one of the best TV theme LPs out there, Gregory???s TV???s Greatest Detective Hits. I???ve always thought Streets Of San Francisco was one of the funkiest TV detective themes of its time because of the great big band horn work and its frantic pace. Cannon has got a little swing to it as well, but suffers from the fact that the A-side is just sooooo good it pales in comparison. There is a little drum break in the middle as well.

PAT WILLIAMS ORCHESTRA
    Theme From Streets Of San Francisco/California Love Story (Instrumental) (Capitol 75)
    I heard about this 45 a long time ago, but never saw it. Then when one went for over $100 on eBay, I thought I???d never own one. During Spring Break, I happened to make a little trip to Philly and Val Shivley???s and come across one for a much more reasonable price. Of course, I quickly snatched it up. I believe Pat Williams was the original artist to record the Streets of San Francisco Theme, something I grew up hearing as I watched the re-runs on Ch. 2 in the Bay Area. The Theme is a great cop show tune with blaring horns, big stabs, and a nice little electric piano solo in the middle. California Love Story is a really lush ballad fitting of the title.

John Gregory Orchestra
    TV's Greatest Detective Hits

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=G&page=7

Henry Mancini
    Cop Show Themes

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=M&page=2

• For those TV shows the studios had composers to do a score for the season and several tunes for certain episodes. Than the composer and arranger said which instruments should be used and the musicians were hired. Their was a pool of musicians back than in LA from which they always picked people. They never were one band or ensemple. The came into the studio and watched the parts of the scene to which they should play the themes. Than they recorded the stuff. They tryed to do it in onetakes because time was money.

I read that in an article some years ago. So this means there are thousands of great little tracks laying around in the archives of those production companys who did shows like Streets of SF, SWAT, Starsky & Hutch, Kojak and so on. (I bet there are a million cop TV shows that I never saw because they never ran in my country)

I'm waiting for a person to get into those archives and getting all those little tunes out there.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• montymonty 420 Posts
    i had a Patrick Williams date back in the early 70s on ARP 2500 synthesizer ---- DISASSTER

it was a record date - not a soundtrack date - so if you find anything with synth on it, it's probably me. i've never heard it.

• Is there a soundtrack available for this classic TV show? I've been watching old episodes and I've notived that there is a lot of Funk on that show. Anyone have info on the musicians behind the music??

You can find the orginal TV version theme on the "Funky Soundtracks" Vol2 compilation, on UK label "sound score corp".
    I'm afraid it's pretty hard to find right now..
    The other interest of this comp is that you have the TV edit of the "New Avengers Theme", which is the best version/mix I've heard.

• I dated a girl whose mother wrote for the TV show. Hated her.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

I'm waiting for a person to get into those archives and getting all those little tunes out there.

Me too! Streets Of San Francisco is one of my favourite TV Themes of all time. I got another dope version as mp3:

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=01D1RULHBGYOQ2JVC1NN6ST5PE

Does anyone know who recorded this? Sounds like the original soundtrack from the score.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    For those TV shows the studios had composers to do a score for the season and several tunes for certain episodes. Than the composer and arranger said which instruments should be used and the musicians were hired. Their was a pool of musicians back than in LA from which they always picked people. They never were one band or ensemple. The came into the studio and watched the parts of the scene to which they should play the themes. Than they recorded the stuff. They tryed to do it in onetakes because time was money.

I read that in an article some years ago. So this means there are thousands of great little tracks laying around in the archives of those production companys who did shows like Streets of SF, SWAT, Starsky & Hutch, Kojak and so on. (I bet there are a million cop TV shows that I never saw because they never ran in my country)

Peace
    Hawkeye

This is what I'm talking about. Those little scenes in the show that had bits of Funk playing, not that actual theme of the show. I bet there are a bunch of archival tapes just sitting around with Streets Of San Francisco Funk on them. Someone whould track these down and release them.

• I forwarded this idea to Egon. Maybe we will hear some days about it.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I forwarded this idea to Egon. Maybe we will hear some days about it.

Well thanks, We'll see what happens. Will I get credit?? Just kidding.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I've always loved this soundtrack!

http://www.gemm.com/ddc/search.pl?&a_refno=GML758118805

I want an album.