HOW TO TRADE SAFELY? (via the internet)

2»

Comments

• It's a long time ago and I cant remember everything about what happend.

But it went something like this:

I payed him XXX-amount of pounds for a Funk Inc. lp I had been wanting for a long time. He sends it and it is nothing like he said it was condition wise. It was like he sent the wrong copy or something. Then offers to send something to make up for it and did that too but it was a bunch of crap records. Wtf?

Nevermind though I will not trade with dude again.

Did you ever get your records from him?

Dress

• RezRez 164 Posts
    I recommend to ask for registered mail at first time.

And usually the other rule I fix is that the one who ask for trade send first.

Word!

• RezRez 164 Posts
    Anybody ever been ripped off big time here?

Once and once only.

Guy on here with the handle Hostyle - real name Matthew Langfear.

Apart from that though, trades are sweet with strutters.
    I am just a little more careful now and always note the "under 10 post wants my Placebo - ball of eyes" factor.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

U2???? Boy - I wanna speak to that fella Hostyle too - sent me a farked Marva Whitney LP which I had nae use for at all - no response since...not a reliable person...??125 / $150 set sale price kinda deal....

Boy - oh - boy...no wonder every head on here is gittin the hump (translate Englanders!)

Langfear - ya outta the game, son..Rez

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Thanks for your insight. I may reconsider my no-trade on the internet policy.

I've traded with a handful of folks on here, and haven't had one problem. My advice is:

-only deal with people who've been out here for a minute and have contributed to the site. Use the Ebay rule and check the person's registered date and post count. Let the person earn the right to use SS to cop that heat by spending some time amongst us

-grade the record accurately. I'm not a pro at this shit, but I do my best to describe the overall condition of the record and sleeve, and detail stuff such as seam splits or punchouts.

-pack that shit right. I've got a gang of the heavy duty cardboard mailers from other online purchases saved up, so I just reuse them. Godd for the record, good for the environment, good on the wallet.

-get delivery confirmation/insurance on that shit. Anything can happen from point A to point B, so it's best to spend the extra buck or two to avoid some unnecessary beef with your trading partner

-communicate. A little communication goes along way. Let dude or dudette know you mailed the package via PM. Check back later on to see if s/he got it in fine shape. Simple, yet effective.

• RezRez 164 Posts
    I have traded with quite a few Strutters. No problems except for one with Matthew Hostyle.

You and me both.

Can you tell us/me about your particular situation? I'm just interested since it happened to me too.

Please spill on Hostyle

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I just completed my first trade on here and was very satisfied.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I have traded with quite a few Strutters. No problems except for one with Matthew Hostyle.

You and me both.

Can you tell us/me about your particular situation? I'm just interested since it happened to me too.

Please spill on Hostyle

Nah, I never got my records from him.

He replied to a trade post of mine and we organised a trade. Just after we sent off the first package, he wanted to do another trade. I was almost gonna say "let's just wait until the first packages arrive safely", but then I thought, I'm probably just being paranoid.

So, weeks go by and nothing arrives. We keep enailing and he's saying his packages haven't arrived either. It starts to dawn on me that this guy has fucked me over, and him pushing for the second trade before the first one was completed seems suddenly suspicious. I email him accusingly and I get no response (and he gets defensive). I file a lost package claim at the post office, and a month or so later it comes back saying that the two packaes were both delivered. At this point I put dude on blast on soulstrut. I remember him replying once and trying to weasle out of the accusations, but then he just dissappeared.

If I ever go to the UK again, I will be looking dude up!

• i know this is pretty far fetched but maybe we could have a feedback system like ebay for trading. like have some kind of trade rating that you could post feedback to when you post/trade through the trade board.

i know this is pretty far fetched but maybe we could have a feedback system like ebay for trading. like have some kind of trade rating that you could post feedback to when you post/trade through the trade board.

I think this is an exceptionally briliant idea.

Build it and they will come.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    that would be dope.

Even if it was just something as ghetto as pinning a thread about good & bad traders to the top of this forum.

Yeah for sure. Anything is better than nothing i think.

• ...and then the bad traders can trade heavy records with each other, not send the records and be satisfied that nothing was lost.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ...and then the bad traders can trade heavy records with each other, not send the records and be satisfied that nothing was lost.

• I have a copy of John Cage's 4:33 that i'm willing to trade for Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds Of Silence. I'm not going to send the record though - be warned.

I have a copy of John Cage's 4:33 that i'm willing to trade for Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds Of Silence. I'm not going to send the record though - be warned.

I'm down.

• RezRez 164 Posts
    i know this is pretty far fetched but maybe we could have a feedback system like ebay for trading. like have some kind of trade rating that you could post feedback to when you post/trade through the trade board.

Amen Dave - inspirational thought patterning..

Rez

• RezRez 164 Posts

You and me both.

Please spill on Hostyle

Nah, I never got my records from him.

He replied to a trade post of mine and we organised a trade. Just after we sent off the first package, he wanted to do another trade. I was almost gonna say "let's just wait until the first packages arrive safely", but then I thought, I'm probably just being paranoid.

So, weeks go by and nothing arrives. We keep enailing and he's saying his packages haven't arrived either. It starts to dawn on me that this guy has fucked me over, and him pushing for the second trade before the first one was completed seems suddenly suspicious. I email him accusingly and I get no response (and he gets defensive). I file a lost package claim at the post office, and a month or so later it comes back saying that the two packaes were both delivered. At this point I put dude on blast on soulstrut. I remember him replying once and trying to weasle out of the accusations, but then he just dissappeared.

If I ever go to the UK again, I will be looking dude up!

Yep - definitely a wax peddler..

Rez