How can the ACLU approve of this?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/28/D8E5RPBO5.htmlWhat if I don't have my ID on me or I just don't feel like showing it for no reason.

Comments

• http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/28/D8E5RPBO5.html

What if I don't have my ID on me or I just don't feel like showing it for no reason.

Doesn't matter, as long as we keep the terrorists guessing. No way can they carry out an attack if the cops are checking IDs at the bank.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

• Great idea....until someone decides to rob the bank (or blow something up) on the other side of town while the police are doing a "show of force". Fascist assholes. I can't remember exactly what, but I think Miami got in trouble for something similar in the past few years. Anyone???

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    that is fucking crazy. Why do the american people let them get away with that?

• that is fucking crazy. Why do the american people let them get away with that?

They're not paying attention....

I was listening to an interview on CNN with a soldier who had written a book about Iraq. He said that people who oppose the war aren't doing anything to harm the soldiers over there. He said it's the "apathetic middle" who do the most harm.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The ID check thing is a plague in France. I f youre a visible minority you're screwed.
    Example you're going out to this hot club and your man is paying for everything. So you put on your new pair of pants and jump in a cab. Get out walk on the streets. A cop approaches you "Vos Papier?" You dont have your wallet their in your jeans at home.
    Booya. The night in jail.

• The ACLU docket is already full with defending pedophiles, protecting a 14 year old's consitutional right to get an abortion without telling her parents, and erasing crosses from California County seals. They can't do EVERYTHING!

Stand up for your own rights. Get active, write a nasty letter to your local op-ed page, or stage a no-identity-card-in.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    The ACLU docket is already full with defending pedophiles, protecting a 14 year old's consitutional right to get an abortion without telling her parents, and erasing crosses from California County seals. They can't do EVERYTHING!

Stand up for your own rights. Get active, write a nasty letter to your local op-ed page, or stage a no-identity-card-in.

here we go!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The ACLU docket is already full with defending pedophiles, protecting a 14 year old's consitutional right to get an abortion without telling her parents, and erasing crosses from California County seals. They can't do EVERYTHING!

Kiss my ass.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I love the ACLU.....I heard that the next series of terrorist attacks were going to be made by Al Quaeda members dressed as Santa Claus....but thanks to the ACLU they have been banned in most public places!!!

• girgir 329 Posts
    terrorists have id cards too.

YAY FOR BUSYWORK!

• Do you take Diner's Club?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/28/D8E5RPBO5.html

What if I don't have my ID on me or I just don't feel like showing it for no reason.

If you don't feel like showing your ID don't. The article does not say you will compeled to show it, or that action will be taken against those who do not show ID.

If this is implimented in the places that are likely terrorist targets; large downtown banks, transit centers (does Miami have transit centers?), there is no reason to belive that it is racial profiling or otherwise abusive.

Dan

Yeah! If we give some people rights soon everyone will want them. Then where will we be?

If you don't feel like showing your ID don't. The article does not say you will compeled to show it, or that action will be taken against those who do not show ID.

If this is implimented in the places that are likely terrorist targets; large downtown banks, transit centers (does Miami have transit centers?), there is no reason to belive that it is racial profiling or otherwise abusive.

Dan

How is this not abusive? Who gets to decide what's a "likely target" and who belongs in any given area? What happens when the Miami police (or any other police organization) starts using these "anti-terrorist" tactics to arrest people for non-terrorist related crimes (which is the main problem with much of the "PATRIOT" act, i.e. the people implementing it are using the threat of terrorism to erode rights in general).

As far as "racial profiling", wo do you think is going to get asked for their ID first??

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Yeah! If we give some people rights soon everyone will want them. Then where will we be?

Not to open a whole other can o' worms here, but it is right that a 14 year old should be able to get an abortion without parental notification?

• lots of rights no responsibilities.

ice-cream for everybody!

It's certainly implied that actions will be taken. If there were no reprecussion for not presenting an ID how would the program even be effective? You think a terrorist that is willing to blow himself up would give two shits about showing an ID? Really, this is out government saying they don't know what the fuck is going on and they've resorted to randomly checking people to see if they're terrorists. Come on.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4274023,00.html

• you already show your drivers license for a million things other than driving. Buying beer, cigarettes, getting on an airplane, application forms.

what's the difference, except that a nationwide card might be more effective?

• you already show your drivers license for a million things other than driving. Buying beer, cigarettes, getting on an airplane, application forms.

what's the difference, except that a nationwide card might be more effective?

There's a quid pro quo for all of the things you listed, i.e. proving your age to purchase alcohol/cigarettes etc. Do we now have to prove who we are in order to walk around in public??

• Not to open a whole other can o' worms here, but it is right that a 14 year old should be able to get an abortion without parental notification?

I had this debate with my roommate. On one hand creating laws that bar minors from getting abortions is simply another step towards overturning Roe vs. Wade. On the other hand a parent should have the right to know if their child is pregnant.

I would think that if a pole was held you'd find parents voting one way and single/childless couples voting the other.

I was pretty torn when I voted for this because both sides make very valid points.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    this is just another smoke screen that will eventually make us more comfortable with allowing racial profiling in the future.....

9 out of the 10 people that get pulled out of line in the Airports and made take off their shoes and searched are white women...and we all know white women aren't carrying bombs in their shoes.......

when the most resistant become comfortable with having their rights violated then the 'usual suspects' better not say shit when their time comes......and their time is coming.................people.............. hold on.......

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/28/D8E5RPBO5.html

Dan

How is this not abusive? Who gets to decide what's a "likely target" and who belongs in any given area? What happens when the Miami police (or any other police organization) starts using these "anti-terrorist" tactics to arrest people for non-terrorist related crimes (which is the main problem with much of the "PATRIOT" act, i.e. the people implementing it are using the threat of terrorism to erode rights in general).
    As far as "racial profiling", wo do you think is going to get asked for their ID first??

I'm saying the idea is not abusive.

You are saying that it will applied in an abusive way.

When that happens it's time for the ACLU to step in.

Since they are the only Americans who are responsible enough to care about our basic liberties.

That way we will retain our rights, except for Scoobydoo who is turning in his rights for more responsibilities.

Dan

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it is right that a 14 year old should be able to get an abortion without parental notification?

YES !! but that's a much,much deeper issue than racial profiling...... and if parental notification is required one day...shit will hit the fan...it will backfire BIG TIME

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this is just another smoke screen that will eventually make us more comfortable with allowing racial profiling in the future.....

9 out of the 10 people that get pulled out of line in the Airports and made take off their shoes and searched are white women...and we all know white women aren't carrying bombs in their shoes.......

when the most resistant become comfortable with having their rights violated then the 'usual suspects' better not say shit when their time comes......and their time is coming.................people.............. hold on.......

Interesting and scary theory, yet you seem to be right.

My half sister and her friend (2 tall blonde 25 year olds) got mad harrased in New-York by customs

Shit that's no good, the canadian passport/cross the broder thing also sucks

• life without responsibility is worthless and empty. You might as well be a happy plant with nothing to do but play with your records and go to bed at whatever time you want.

• My half sister and her friend (2 tall blonde 25 year olds) got mad harrased in New-York by customs

thats a joke right?

On the other hand a parent should have the right to know if their child is pregnant.

I belive that all parents should have the type of a relationship with their children that would encourage the children to confide in the parent.

I don't belive that the goverment can force that type of relationship on a family.

Dan