P Funk vs. that JB Funk

2»

Comments

• Maggot Brain is probably the "best", but my avatar is still the one I listen to most.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    jbs over here.. less is more! surely apples and oranges, but right now p-funk bores me.

• I remember when I first got into funk, I was pretty disappointed with P-Funk. I didn't find 4-on-the-floor beats to be funky, and Cosmic Slop turned me off to Funkadelic because it seemed like a rock album to me. I felt like saying "Stop talking about being funky and just do it!"

I loooooove "Good Ole Music" by The Parliaments, however, and the first few Parliament and Funkadelic Albums are much better than the later ones. I've even stopped hatting on P-Funk because of the response they get on the dancefloor.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• hi the jb's made one song
    ever

it had horns in it

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    hi the jb's made one song
    ever

it had horns in it

hahaha

I guess you're right, but the same could be said for The Meters minus the horns.
    There's something about the simplicity and how they stayed "in the pocket" that I like, though. I blame hip hop.

• nah dude 'stormy'

fuck hip-hop

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Fuck the Meters. One LP and a couple of 45s. Rest is just cheese with a loud drum kit.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    nah dude 'stormy'

fuck hip-hop

Blessed Blackness

I listen to Classical.

D.TUXEDO LIPCREAM

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    I remember when I first got into funk, I was pretty disappointed with P-Funk.

Ahh, P-Funk made my day when I got into funk music in the beginning of the 90ies. My first piece of P-Funk was a Parliament Best Of CD. I was blown away when I heard it, cause I knew all the samples from Hip Hop before. During the whole CD I was like: "Ahh shit, I know that from..."

I didn't find 4-on-the-floor beats to be funky, and Cosmic Slop turned me off to Funkadelic because it seemed like a rock album to me.

First I only liked the first Funkadelic LP because it has dope beats on it. Later I got into "Maggot Brain" and the other early Westbound stuff and began to love it, but it took some time. I don't care if it's too much rock or not, it's just some bad-ass music!

• if it's not made by ethiopian jews, i am not fucking with it.
    see y'all in france

F.EELD RECORD-DING