burning music of the GIRLFRIEND...recommendations

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
burning some Free Design for her now...how about some suggestions? She is pretty open minded(no metal though)

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    You got a theme for this cdr?

• not at all...and it will be several CDs probably. Just good music that I know she will enjoy.

• anyone? ladies?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    My girl only listens to stuff like Fiona Apple and Radiohead, and typically is indifferent to music i like, but she didn't seem to mind Cal Tjader.

• i'd say mainstream vocal jazz goes well with girls, anything eartha kitt, nina simone, etc. that'll fly over well, or fun soul/funk grooves with entertaining lyrics...or stuff that sounds like it's modern but was made 30 years ago...all depends what she likes.

my girl likes all that quasi-mainstream stuff like stones throw, ninja tune, mia/diplo etc. so it's not too hard to turn her onto weirder grooves, but i usually try to stay clear of the extreme italoprog and japanoise when making mix cds.

• ...how about some suggestions? She is pretty open minded

Blowfly - Zodiac.

• i'd say mainstream vocal jazz goes well with girls, anything eartha kitt, nina simone, etc. that'll fly over well, or fun soul/funk grooves with entertaining lyrics...or stuff that sounds like it's modern but was made 30 years ago...all depends what she likes.

my girl likes all that quasi-mainstream stuff like stones throw, ninja tune, mia/diplo etc. so it's not too hard to turn her onto weirder grooves, but i usually try to stay clear of the extreme italoprog and japanoise when making mix cds.

yeah she likes Nina a lot but already has most of that. She definately prefers vocal stuff.

As for Stonesthrow,Ninja Tune,Mia/Diplo..she aint fucking with it.

Thanks for the ideas though..so far I am burning Free Design,Flaming Lips and Plant Life.

• I'd be suprised if she didn't like this. Such beautiful music. Good luck!

• I'd be suprised if she didn't like this. Such beautiful music. Good luck!

thanks...now get rid off that avatar!

• Why? Are you a Knicks fan, does it give you bad memories?

I should change it anyway, it's outdated.

Oh yeah, this shit is pretty facemelting too, with some of the same members as Mellow Candle too...

• Yeah, I am no Spike Lee..but I am a Knicks fan. And yes, that does bring back bad memories...oh so many(many,many) bad memories.

• burning some Free Design for her now...how about some suggestions? She is pretty open minded(no metal though)

Perhacs.

• burning some Free Design for her now...how about some suggestions? She is pretty open minded(no metal though)

Perhacs.

oh good one...if she's the type to dig the folky stuff. i made a mix cd for a lady friend (musical tastes were devendra banhart, sufjan stevens, that kinda shit) about six months back and the linda perhacs track was a winner...i was even able to sneak in some death in june and a more quiet jandek track, but i dared not venture farther in bizarro music for fear of alienating a gentle listener.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Juana Molina.

• if she's the type to dig the folky stuff. i made a mix cd for a lady friend (musical tastes were devendra banhart, sufjan stevens, that kinda shit)

if this is the case, try Jolie Holland and/or Joanna Newsom.

• Is it a girlfriend you recenty started with?

If it is, I'd advise you to elicit some info on her musical tastes from her friends and put one on there that she already loves... plus it'll also give you a chance to calibrate your CD-R selection with a few styles similar to what she already likes (but with that added raerness that we all know and love).

Dont make it too out there unless you know she'll dig the 'out-there'-ness of it. Remember, the breakbeatraer model was the destination at the end of a gradual journey for us all - And yes I am drunk - but I swear, the first two parts of this post really do make sense.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    You can't go wrong with Al Green.

• You can't go wrong with Al Green.

My girlfriend loves Al Green. Same goes for Marvin.

• Beleeb it!

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    My lady enjoys psych/garage rock, and songs that sound like Sharivari (what a woman)