Purely White Music

13»

Comments

• ooh!

and i couldn't give any less of a shit...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

What I found while delving into every genre out there is that music I liked had a "groove" and music I didn't care for was "groove-less".

well this is totally retarded man .. all music has groove.. the only way people can play together in a coordinated group is if they are keeping time and keeping time is groove.

OOm-Pah

the very name descirbes the GROOVE in that music... polka and such are almost purely rhythmic bassed musical forms designed to be danced too... thus they have GROOVE.

Groove, flow, soul...whatever you want to use....if you can't tell the difference between Oom-Pah and what I am trying to describe, then I give up.

Never thought this topic would be that much of a hot button.....

Maybe next I'll start a thread that says ALL music is influenced by white culture and watch the same people's heads explode...

I apologize for ever starting this discussion.

Rich

I think you are using groove exactly right. Some people are just
    being argumentative.

We all favor music that has African (or African American)
    influences. That's why its called soulstrut.

Still, you are missing out by dismissing all of European music.
    Try Celtic fiddle tunes for groove. since you may not like
    fiddles listen to guitarist Martin McCarthy (I think thats the
    right name).

Or don't try, I don't care, you have stated your opinion and it's
    short sighted, but valid.

Dan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    http://www.africawithin.com/kwaku/beethoven.htm

What specifically is being referenced, is the true identity of Ludwig van Beethoven, considered Europe???s greatest classical music composer. Directly, Beethoven was a black man. Specifically, his mother was a Moor, that group of Muslim Africans who conquered parts of Europe--making Spain their capital--for some 800 years.

In order to make such a substantial statement, presentation of verifiable evidence is compulsory. Let's start with what some of Beethoven's contemporaries and biographers say about his appearance. Frau Fisher, a close friend of Beethoven, described him with ???blackish-brown complexion.??? Frederick Hertz, German anthropologist, used these terms to describe him: ???Negroid traits, dark skin, flat, thick nose.???

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Pretty ridiculous that people are using the "one drop rule" to rule Beethoven black, as if a supposed motherland he never traveled to overrules his upbringing in a white home and culture.

Plus his ancestry seems to be well-documented and points to a Flemish origin.

• In the end, every[/b] thing is[/b] pure music.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Specifically, his mother was a Moor

Are you sure she wasn't a Moop??

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Hehe, what's a Moop? This?:

On the Moor thing, the Moors made it over in the 11th century, and he was 19th century. Bit of a gap. Now, back to Moops...

• Purely White Music

• only poorly performed "classical" music lacks soul...unfortunately there is plenty of poorly performed "classical" music out there...dig a little deeper...I work at a stringed instrument store (violin, viola, cello and bass) so I've had plenty of oportunity to hear playing of all kinds...

I don't listen to classical music that much but I think the above is very true. I have a good friend who is a huge classical collectro and he lets me listen to stuff from the fifties on lp or from much earlier on 78's and some stuff is played very differently from what's the accepted style of playing right now. I could get into that probably if I took the time (and got rich...).

• I like hybrid music and luckily most music is and in the end all music is, as Dubious and Batmon say.

you know you'd tap along[/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This shit made me actually log on to soulstrut.

If you think classical music has no soul then you need to get the fucking dick out of your ears.

And beethoven was NOT black. I've heard that theory before, but its been pretty easily dismissed. There was A LOT known about beethoven, folks. It wasn't THAT long ago that he was here. I know it seems like a long time ago, but it wasn't. There was plenty written by him at the time, and he did plenty of writing himself.

And there were black musicians performing 'classical' music back then too. I don't remember the name, but there was a famous black violinist back in the day.

the term 'classical' is a bit of a misnomer in itself, since these days it refers to a lot more than just the classical period of music.

And finally, yes, white is white, but the music spans a lot of diverse cultures (albeit european cultures). Turkish, Polish, Russion, French, Hungarian, Etc Etc Etc....... And Debussy was influenced by black music when he started getting transcripts of black music from america. He even wrote some ragtime tunes. When american black music hit european shores it was definitely in vogue.

jesus christ people.

If 'classical' music doesn't appeal to you then fine. But if you think its soulless because its not black music... grow the fuck up.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    DIZZY IS BACK!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    This shit made me actually log on to soulstrut.

If you think classical music has no soul then you need to get the fucking dick out of your ears.

And beethoven was NOT black. I've heard that theory before, but its been pretty easily dismissed. There was A LOT known about beethoven, folks. It wasn't THAT long ago that he was here. I know it seems like a long time ago, but it wasn't. There was plenty written by him at the time, and he did plenty of writing himself.

And there were black musicians performing 'classical' music back then too. I don't remember the name, but there was a famous black violinist back in the day.

the term 'classical' is a bit of a misnomer in itself, since these days it refers to a lot more than just the classical period of music.

And finally, yes, white is white, but the music spans a lot of diverse cultures (albeit european cultures). Turkish, Polish, Russion, French, Hungarian, Etc Etc Etc....... And Debussy was influenced by black music when he started getting transcripts of black music from america. He even wrote some ragtime tunes. When american black music hit european shores it was definitely in vogue.

jesus christ people.

If 'classical' music doesn't appeal to you then fine. But if you think its soulless because its not black music... grow the fuck up.

nice post