Aretha Franklin last night in Louisville

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
The Queen was on fire!!!! Though she didn't play some obvious joints (Natural Woman and Rock Steady), she came off on Sparkle, Chain Of Fools & Respect.The highlight of the day was changing out with HB Barnum who actually heard of Soul Strutt (?!?!?!?) and claimed Mike Vague as being the one person who was very cool with him and has helped him find even audio copies of some stuff. Even pointed out that Mike brought records to his attention that he didn't remember making - which isn't a surprise, but still cool nonetheless.The scoop is his America the Beautiful LP. He pressed 150,000 + copies of the record becasue he had a friend in DC who was supposed to set up booths during the Bicentenial celebration 4th of July weekend. He got all of them pressed and to DC by July 1, but when he got there, he found out his friend didn't have anything set up so he brought them back to LA. He started selling them thru mail order in 76 (mentioned he sold many copies to the Michigan State University Campus Record Store), but his wharehouse that he kept the records were vandalized and some 50,000 plus copies were destroyed!!!! To add insult to injury, he was fined by the city for the mess. Though I would never hunt down an artist, it was quite cool talking to him about his music (claims to have hundereds of Elvis live shows on tape and is in the process of transferring that as well as all his other records onto DVD).

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for the review.

Did HB work Elvis? I'm guessing from what you said he did. Did he bring the Sweet Inspirations to Elvis?

Why am I talking about Elvis? Tell us about the band. Did Aretha play piano? Did she do anything that was more jazz, or more opera, or more gospel than her hits?

Dan

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Apparently they were friends during his movie faze. He got them from an ex-DL honey of the King's and I didn't ask he was worked with him.

Aretha played piano and came with gospel heat! The set was short (14 songs) and didn't have any of her 80's to present stuff (No Who's Zooming Who or anything), but it was well worth every cent!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Apparently they were friends during his movie faze. He got them from an ex-DL honey of the King's and I didn't ask he was worked with him.

Aretha played piano and came with gospel heat! The set was short (14 songs) and didn't have any of her 80's to present stuff (No Who's Zooming Who or anything), but it was well worth every cent!

It's a shame she doesn't want to put a band together and hit the road and rock the house night after night.

More power to her for being able to kick back and live a private life in Detroit.