Elvis Costello -- He Sucks Right???

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm packing up the house right now and wifey in training puts on some Elvis Costelloe garbage. He's her favorite

Respect your womans musical taste. There must be something to Elvis Costello or she wouldn't like him.

about his racist remarks to Bonnie Brammlett; she decked him, broke his arm I belive.

Dan

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

about his racist remarks to Bonnie Brammlett; she decked him, broke his arm I belive.

ok can we clear this up...

its on record that the legendary racist comments were made to steven stills and his band... or was bonnie in the band?

i've never heard her name in the story and his arm was certainly not broken in the incident.

so are you now adding a second racist story to this or are you retelling the one and only with a new twist???

---

regarding the specials.. describing elvis as just the industry dude in the room when the album was made is some pretty sad shit too if you ask me.. dude produced the record... if you dont know what a producer does than i guess that can be excused.. but im pretty sure he did a bit more than stand around and chat with the band.

he also produced Rum Sodomy And The Lash by the Pogues, so i dont think his "producer" role is that slack as both of these are acknowledged classics of their respective genres.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I remember when El-P's solo album Fantastic Damage came out, Costello sid something along the lines of:

"El-P is a genius, I really want to work with him".

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

its on record that the legendary racist comments were made to steven stills and his band... or was bonnie in the band?

Bramlett was in Stills band, but the broken arm story sounds like a stretch....Elvis apparently did get hit though??

He later apologized and blamed being drunk for making the remarks.

So you can't like the MC5 and Costello?? Huh??

I had the first three Costello LP's when they came out.

Liked the first one enough to buy #'s 2 and 3

But years later they come off as very weak and as someone accurately described here earlier they sound "Snide".

I assume the genre that encompasses EC, Paul Weller and the Pogues is called "Pop Punk Lite" and while they may be the best of that genre, it's a pretty weak genre musically.

Sorta like what Pat Boone was to Little Richard

It's no wonder that he moved on to Opera, Show Tunes and Bacharach.

Rich

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    im diggin your verbology rockadelic

But years later they come off as very weak and as someone accurately described here earlier they sound "Snide".

i agree i find Costello to be UNBEARABLE at the present moment.. and this does drive me a bit bonkers considering how many hours i logged to his work BITD

I assume the genre that encompasses EC, Paul Weller and the Pogues is called "Pop Punk Lite" and while they may be the best of that genre, it's a pretty weak genre musically.

nah man the pogues (whom i hate.. though xmas in nyc is pretty untouchable) are straight up TRAD light.

weller and costello though yes are semi kindred souls .. both were punk rock outsiders (weller due to his staunch brittish workingmansblues "god damn i wish it was '67, this parka is gear") and costello with his personification of studiedencycolpediaofpop

but they fit into punk in that loose even ian dury was punk way

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the pogues (whom i hate.. though xmas in nyc is pretty untouchable) are straight up TRAD light.

Where does the "light" come in?

And if you like "Christmas in NY" then there should be plenty of other Pogues tracks you dig, if you were to hear them.

• Elvis Costello was for people that were too scared to be punk - but still wanted to wear the skinny tie I guess. I don't get it. His shit is unbearable.

i've never heard her name in the story and his arm was certainly not broken in the incident.

so are you now adding a second racist story to this or are you retelling the one and only with a new twist???

---

regarding the specials.. describing elvis as just the industry dude in the room when the album was made is some pretty sad shit too if you ask me.. dude produced the record... if you dont know what a producer does than i guess that can be excused.. but im pretty sure he did a bit more than stand around and chat with the band.

he also produced Rum Sodomy And The Lash by the Pogues, so i dont think his "producer" role is that slack as both of these are acknowledged classics of their respective genres.

The incedent is told thousands of times on the web. No broken arm, my mistake. I like this telling:
    Elvis Costello found himself in hot water in 1979 after making racist comments about Ray Charles and James Brown. While on tour promoting his new Armed Forces album, Costello was at a Holiday Inn bar discussing British and American music with Stephen Stills and Bonnie Bramlett, when the remarks were made. Bramlett responded by punching Costello in the face, thereby ending the discussion. After much publicity about the incident, Costello held a press conference and apologized. Accidents Will Happen indeed.

Most tellings go on and on about how Elvis really really likes Black people. They also talk about how he declined to meet Ray Charles because it would cause to much embarresment. Everyone is quick to say that Elvis didn't belive what he said and was only baiting Bramlett and other members of Stills band. Which shows what an incredible ignorant asshole he really is. If you have ever heard Bonnie sing you know he should have been kissing her feet not giving her shit. He does not have the talent to carry Stephen Stills guitar much less mouth off to him.

As far as the Specials go, if you think that record is great becase of his role as producer, you lack knowledge about the Specials.

Dan

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Elvis Costello was for people that were too scared to be punk - but still wanted to wear the skinny tie I guess. I don't get it. His shit is unbearable.

I'm not a fan but i've got old skool buddies who place him very very high.
    I dont think he sucks at all. I dont own hiz musik though.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    He does not have the talent to carry Stephen Stills guitar much less mouth off to him.

um, i don't like elvis, but by most accounts stephen stills is an asshole egomaniac cokehead redneck hippie. honestly, if i were drinking with him, i'd tell him that i skullfuck the family dog if i thought it would piss him off...

He does not have the talent to carry Stephen Stills guitar much less mouth off to him.

um, i don't like elvis, but by most accounts stephen stills is an asshole egomaniac cokehead redneck hippie.

True, talented though.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

um, i don't like elvis, but by most accounts stephen stills is an asshole egomaniac cokehead redneck hippie.

True, talented though.

he's no neil young, and i hear that really pisses him off...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I got to meet Stills about 20 years ago at Maria Elena Holly's(Buddy's widow) house here in Dallas....and he was.....ummmm...... an asshole egomaniac cokehead redneck hippie.

Rich

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dude sucks ass. I've listened to his albums to try to "find the appeal." Horrendous. Like painting a room beige, hipper than white, but really offers nothing special.

• wifey in training

this^ is some funny shit.

anyway, Stephen Stills, i hear he's a jerk, but i guess he's had his moments. Notably including the OG "Ain't no Sunshine" (how did that happen anyway?)

and Costello: never liked him. his early rock stuff might get a pass but any time lately i hear his voice (or his name) i get annoyed.
    anyone hear that story, more recently, about how Gary Peacock refused to appear with him at Lee Konitz's birthday gig or something? funny shit

• watching the detectives is a good track,but i categorize him as one of those artists where you couldn`t listen to him for a whole lp..

the specials were great,as was a lot of the music coming out of england during that time..madness,selector,the beat etc..

wifey in training

anyway, Stephen Stills, i hear he's a jerk, but i guess he's had his moments. Notably including the OG "Ain't no Sunshine" (how did that happen anyway?)

and Costello: never liked him. his early rock stuff might get a pass but any time lately i hear his voice (or his name) i get annoyed.
    anyone hear that story, more recently, about how Gary Peacock refused to appear with him at Lee Konitz's birthday gig or something? funny shit

No. Please do tell.

• wifey in training

No. Please do tell.

i only know what little i know about it thru internet rumor, but i heard that word got out that Costello was going to sit in at Konitz's birthday gig. So all these hipsters who have no idea who Lee Konitz is show at the club, only to witness their hero getting dissed by Gary Peacock, who refused to play with him...

something like that.

• Dude sucks ass. I've listened to his albums to try to "find the appeal." Horrendous. Like painting a room beige, hipper than white, but really offers nothing special.

Well put.

• Elvis Costello was for people that were too scared to be punk - but still wanted to wear the skinny tie I guess. I don't get it. His shit is unbearable.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

that said Blood And Chocolate is a rowdy late period masterpeace

I OD'd on Costello as a youth...good power pop stuff I can still appreciate though. Ironically Get Happy is a bit of a toss-off to my ears, but still enjoyable. I dig all his early records through like Armed Forces, then it's LP to LP, song to song. I really liked Blood and Chocolate at the time it came out(a return to form) and still like King of America(a nice sampling of his mastery of genre and style within the confines of an LP length).

Like most new stuff these days his recent output hasn't wowed me, but he rarely offends either.

I think like a lot of artists, it's his staunch fans that really grate on my nerves, as though he were some kind of hallowed figure or unassailable genius. That really gets on my bad side.

And Shingaling, from what I understand he really did say that shit, and it was really in a wiseass-fuck-you-self-righteous-hippies manner, but it has dogged him his whole career. Seeing as how most white people have dropped the N-word, I don't think it makes him Hitler or anything. Just another white dude who said some stupid shit but who got called on it.

• "my image!"

(simpsons nerds like myself will understand what im talking about. either that or im too drunk already.)

• He does not suck.

agreed.

agreed agreed....

• No strong feelings about EC, but I loved when he cited Cannibal Ox as his favorite band a few years ago..

• I'm not a fan but I find it hard to believe he said those things about James and Ray. He has played twice now at the club I work at and he was a totally cool guy. He was even asking me about how the Stax museum was cause he said he was a huge fan. I just don't hear the "N" word coming out of his mouth.

It totally happened (and not just becasue it's printed in the Ego Trip Big Book of Racism Book). It's been confirmed. HE SAID IT. He sucks or did suck (people can regret shit they did or said in the past and as such get a pass) - his music does not.

That being said, I did meet him last year when doing a Diana Krall date and told him how much I loved Blood & Chocolate but wouldn't shake his hand. hahaha