Liner Notes: Read prior/During/Post playing album

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Hey, i haven't purchased something in a long that had some liner notes i was VERY eager to read. I remember when buying cassettes back in the day, i'd read them while i listened to something for the first time. Well the album in question here is the recently released Thelonious Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Now due to the historical significance of this piece, i was wondering should i first read it, then listen or listen to it straight up going in with no bias whatsoever...cause then i'd be missing the context. i dont know, this is a treat i was anticipating for a while, i think i'l listen to it without reading first.in retrospect this thread might kinda be like "do i read the kamasutra before, during or after doing the horizontal mambo with this gyal" or maybe not, all i know is i can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'd say don't[/b] read before hand, and try to analyse it and see if your analysis is the same as the guy writing the liner notes.

Back in like 1993-1995 when I started buying rap music I used to buy CD's, open up the liner notes and see the dudes they gave shout-outs too and then try to find their CD's.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I try to save them to read while listening, but I often stop for some ziti bosciaola after the record spots, and end up reading them like a cereal box while I gnosh.

Tends to be a little tomato cream sauce on my plastic outer sleeves

• i often read along with the music, but not always. i usually peek at them before i play the record. it is dissapointing when you open an album you're really looking forward to hearing, and the booklet is one page with nothing to read. i like when the tell you a bit about making the album or something. but i'll even read the credits and thank-yous. i have one album that said inside NOT to read the liner notes or lyrics while listening.