Uber-rare and wanted--what to do?

Comments

• So, if you cats think that "8 Isn't Enough",
    then do I need to do the wait-2-months-each-time
    thing on ebay? Why not just slap 'em up one
    after the other?
    Also, does anyone ever actually say on an ebay
    posting that they have multiples, and the exact amount?
    That might actually get the last couple to go through the roof?

-Discuss.

Everybody twists numbers on ebay. Numbers of records pressed, value, whatever.

But you know, I've got to agree with yo-i-got-beats, if it's really in the upper category of rareness, it's unlikely a half dozen copies will throw the price out of whack.

Besides.... as soon as you put the second copy up on ebay in the same "mint" condition, people are going to talk.

I think the big problem is people might think you found more than 8, like if you found 100 and that (depending on what it is) doubles the population of this record on earth.

tell us the title!

• I wouldn't put them all on eBay. I might try eBay for a couple (ie, selling to the 2nd highest bidder), but letting fryersrecords know would bring some of the heavyweights knocking on your door if the record is indeed as in demand as you say. Also, you might want to set a price that is slightly below market. Say, if you sell your ebay one for $1500, you might sell the rest for $1000 flat. You'll get rid quickly.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    yeah... because seriously record geeks will find out what it is eventually.....for example out of nowhere a Salt shows up on Ebay....then a few weeks later... same seller, another Salt ...you're in too deep my friend...these record dudes are like the C.I.A.

• these record dudes are like the C.I.A.

J****l, please answer the door in about 5 minutes. We just want to talk.

• Wow.
    Now I'm bitch-movin'.
    RADD.
    Look, I'm just seeking advice.
    I have given good advice to fellow lil'-dudes on here.
    I am part of said S.S.BrainTrust.
    Once I make a decision on how to move these, and
    get all my ducks in a row, I will let yall in on
    the big secret.
    No offence to anybody.
    I'm trying to avoid being swamped with countless PMs,
    and protect my interests.
    I am NOT trying to string anyone along.
    Peace.

• Not to mention that now everyone on this board (and lurkers, and on other boards) will be on the look-see for this.

PLAESE TO BE SPILLING THE BEANS......

these record dudes are like the C.I.A.

J****l, please answer the door in about 5 minutes. We just want to talk.

"but sir ..i swear... I ONLY KEPT TWO!!!....i sold the others"

• what is not not the title of this record?

(got him!!!)

• It is NOT Headless Heroes.
    It is NOT Marlena Shaw (cracked).
    It is NOT Wild Magnolias (scratched).
    It is NOT Thrust (sealed).
    Anyway, it's a 7".
    And yes, I too believe I am N2Deep.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    what a herb

and i hope to God you didn't participate in that NAME/AGE/LOCATION thread

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    All I got to say is when this is divulged it better be the most hottest rarest fucking jam ever created.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    It is NOT Headless Heroes.
    Anyway, it's a 7".

'mardi gras' without the bells on 45?

and i hope to God you didn't participate in that NAME/AGE/LOCATION thread

well...as they say ......THE C.I.A....HAS VERY STRONG LEADS

Anyway, it's a 7".

Sure...but are you "Hung Up" about the whole thing?????

• All I got to say is when this is divulged it better be the most hottest rarest fucking jam ever created.

My cable modem had better catch fire when a jpg is posted.
    THAT
    KIND
    OF
    HEAT

• All I got to say is when this is divulged it better be the most hottest rarest fucking jam ever created.

• Oh, I would not worry about that.
    Heat ensured.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    IMG SRC=http://www.scottproweb.com/wikedlizerd/images/salty.jpg WIDTH=600>
    IMG SRC=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/z/zzsaturdaynightfishfr_101b.jpg>

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    what a herb

Why is he an herb, Mack? He's the one with the multiple records.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Reveal the record mate. It might create a frenzy whereby you get more money when the time comes to sell! Actually I doubt this would happen, but people are already talking big time.

But no, seriously, I reckon you made a mistake posting up here. I don't know what I would have done, maybe put one on Ebay and work off the emails you receive, sell them all privately without ever having to let the quantity be known. It might take weeks or months to figure out what happened. I can imagine it's a very hard situation though, because of the extremely sceptical nature of collectors and the calibre of the record in question.

Anyway, I still think you should let the record out of the bag. What harm can it do, now the whole record world knows something big is about to happen. Good luck with everything though, I hope it works out for you, and I'm really looking forward to hearing how this story pans out.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I agree with faux. People pay for the knowledge that they are one of the very few (i.e. under 10) that have a copy, so when they go to spin at a funk night they can be essentially guaranteed that they're the only one there with the record. Also, it completely depends on what the record is and what the going rate of the first copy is. Let's say it's something like the Hifidelics, which just sold for around $3,000. Yes, the dealer could easily get $1,000 a piece for the next five copies, but I seriously doubt (s)he'll be able to get $3,000 or even $2,500 for the next five because there just aren't that many collectors out there with that type of disposable income. This is especially true for funk 45 collectors who don't have a scene nearly as big as that of northern soul.

You mean to tell me you couldn't get Shadow, Wermingler, Keb, Chemist, Trouble & Egon et al to come out their pockets for a G on some shit they would be one of 6 people to have yet another grail (or even an upgrade)???? We're not even talking about like the Andy Smith's (with his recently advance for the Portishead record) and Aaron Fuchs' of the world who drop g's on a whim.

Sure, a G no problem. What if it's a $2500 dollar record, though? There are only a handful of funk 45s that have EVER been sold for that much. I can think of a dozen or more funk 45s that have sold for over a $1000, but $2500? That's a G more than the last copy of the Universouls went for, and like $900 more than the Little Eva ACETATE (and that song wasn't even released!!). 'Farm Song', 'Soul Heart Transplant', 'What Goes Around Comes Around', 'Hung Up', and 'Hifidelics Groove' are the only 45s I can think of off teh top of my head that have sold for that much ($2500) or more (though I'm sure there are more)...and Arthur Monday went for less than $2,000 last time it was up.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I don't know what I would have done, maybe put one on Ebay and work off the emails you receive, sell them all privately without ever having to let the quantity be known.

"rare" and "limited copies" go hand in hand. This exact scenario is one of the reasons I saw Julian's auctions losing some steam near the end. He had "rare" records, but he also had 10+ copies of them. People started to realize he had multiple copies so they waited for the next auction.

I actually found out about this thread via e-mail...lol. I wasn't even on SS and someone told me to peep it... The word is out...

Anyhow, good luck man. I hope you bank...

Anyway, it's a 7".

Aha! There's a hint in that last line.

But I hate to be the one to tell you that it goes for less than you think, at least on 12":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4715669933&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores

It is NOT Headless Heroes.
    Anyway, it's a 7".

Aha! There's a hint in that last line.

But I hate to be the one to tell you that it goes for less than you think, at least on 12":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4715669933&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores

dude, there's 6 days left on that!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Sure, a G no problem. What if it's a $2500 dollar record, though? There are only a hand full of funk 45s that have EVER been sold for that much. I can think of a dozen or more funk 45s that have sold for over a $1000, but $2500? That's a G more than the last copy of the Universouls went for, and like $900 more than the Little Eva ACETATE (and that song wasn't even released!!). 'Farm Song', 'Soul Heart Transplant', 'What Goes Around Comes Around', 'Hung Up', and 'Hifidelics Groove' are the only 45s I can think of off teh top of my head that have sold for that much ($2500) or more (though I'm sure there are more)...and Arthur Monday went for less than $2,000 last time it was up.

I guess I'm thinking it's in the 1-2,000 area cuz if it were worth more than that there wouldn't be this "concern" on how to react, cuz we all know if it were the Arthur or any of the above records, he could go to Gerald and get $7,500 today EASY instead his poi dog pondering.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    an herb

I believe the silent H is pronounced when using "herb" derogatorily...

I guess I'm thinking it's in the 1-2,000 area cuz if it were worth more than that there wouldn't be this "concern" on how to react, cuz we all know if it were the Arthur or any of the above records, he could go to Gerald and get $7,500 today EASY instead his poi dog pondering.

you're probably right about that. I suppose it comes down to a matter of convenience vs. patience.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    The date is purely coincidental.
    I came across these Tuesday.

Can I get in my first and last AYO?

That'll be it from me.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

you're probably right about that. I suppose it comes down to a matter of convenience vs. patience.

... and tradionally cats in this realm are not patient.