check out what my friend is doing b/w Kid Koala #

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I need Kid Koala's phone number, I lost it with my last cell phone, PM me if you can help cuz we want to involve him with this recording going down next week that my boy Alan is doing. James Gadson, King Errison, Rahzel, Reggie McBride and Ray Parker Jr are involved, check it:Los Angeles Times Sunday Calendar Music POP EYEEarning her film stripes: Meg White makes the leap to soundtrack work with Alan Elliott in a film directed by Bob Odenkirk. By Steve HochmanSpecial to The Times October 30, 2005 Meg White may be the most unfairly maligned drummer since Ringo Starr. But a couple of fans are giving her a chance to show what she can do ??? without her White Stripes partner, Jack White. "People have fun saying negative stuff about Meg," says comedy writer-director-actor Bob Odenkirk. "If you don't get why she's great, crank up the Toto." Odenkirk's appreciation of White's drumming came to mind when he was looking for a sound to accompany the swaggering nature of a character in the upcoming movie "You Are Going to Prison," which he directed. So he and score composer Alan Elliott flew to Detroit in early October to record White in what was a completely new context for her. "She gets into her zone and she's like a train, just starts rolling," says Elliott. "There was a time Bob came into the room and tried to get her to do something and couldn't get her attention. She was in a trance, and it's really powerful stuff when you're sitting right next to it ??? Jack or no Jack." Meg White, who rarely utters a word in public, declined to be interviewed about the project. Plans are for White's unaccompanied drumming to serve as the theme music for a character played by Dax Shepard. The movie also stars Will Arnett ("Arrested Development") and Chi McBride ("Boston Public"). Odenkirk and Elliott could perhaps have stayed in Hollywood and gotten a studio musician to play in the style of Meg White. But Elliott says it would not have been the same. And his concept for the score was to hark back to the glory days of Henry Mancini or Quincy Jones: not simply to have musicians play in appropriate styles, but to get the actual musicians known for the styles. To that end, he also wrote some pieces evoking the sound of Queens of the Stone Age ??? and got the Queens to play it. "Quincy Jones or Henry Mancini would get the popular players of the time, great jazz and pop musicians, to play the score," Elliott says. "The modern-day equivalent would be having rock stars come in and play part of the score. With the Queens, I wrote a thing and they loved it and played it, and it will be the main titles music now. For Meg we thought of the character. He's got a certain swagger, and Bob and I were talking about it and he said, 'It's kind of a White Stripe, Meg White kind of thing. So we went after Meg, and she said yes." For other parts of the score, they're assembling players to evoke a funk/R&B mood akin to the "blaxploitation" films of the '70s. Among those who will be in the sessions are keyboard player Billy Preston, drummer James Gadson and bassist Carole Kaye ??? all veterans of many pop and film recordings starting in the '60s. If it seems a lot to go through for a small, independent production, Odenkirk says it is key to the presentation. "I can't stand most scores now ??? so antiseptic," says the former "Mr. Show" partner. "I want to feel that there's a human being watching the movie with me. I want to hear someone breathing on the score." Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times

Comments

• sounds good

"For other parts of the score, they're assembling players to evoke a funk/R&B mood akin to the "blaxploitation" films of the '70s. Among those who will be in the sessions are keyboard player Billy Preston, drummer James Gadson and bassist Carole Kaye ??? all veterans of many pop and film recordings starting in the '60s. If it seems a lot to go through for a small, independent production, Odenkirk says it is key to the presentation."

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Plans are for White's unaccompanied drumming to serve as the theme music[/b] for a character played by Dax Shepard. .

That, coupled with Bam's breathing post, is making my loins percolate.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    this is dope! this guy alan just signed cody chestnut to his label as well. i wish him the best.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    unrelated useless fact: I once shared a flight with kid koala, he was a nice dude .. I just happened to be carrying a double of an aussie prog rock LP (with a real trippy cover) so I gave it to him, Anna - if you do get in touch with him ask him how his '12 pound toothbrush' is going

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    useless fact pt. 2

one time for shits and giggles a lady friend and myself popped in to a peep show quarter joint we walked by and the girls were playing/dancing to "scratchcratchatch".

• whos Dax Shepard? the guy off the first season of Punk'd?