Ebay Etiquette

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
You've sold an LP on ebay and offer the buyer every possible option of shipping and insurance. They choose media mail/no insurance. The LP arrives broken in half. The right thing to do as the seller is....1) Refund the money2) Tell the guy he's shit outta luck3) Other??Rich

Comments

• SOL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Was it shipped in a record mailer with some kind of reinforcement?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    You've sold an LP on ebay and offer the buyer every possible option of shipping and insurance. They choose media mail/no insurance. The LP arrives broken in half. The right thing to do as the seller is....

1) Refund the money
    2) Tell the guy he's shit outta luck
    3) Other??

Rich

I'm actually in a similar predicament - but I just got the broken record in the mail. Wasn't offered any insurance. Don't know if I have the right to ask for a refund.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    You've sold an LP on ebay and offer the buyer every possible option of shipping and insurance. They choose media mail/no insurance. The LP arrives broken in half. The right thing to do as the seller is....

1) Refund the money
    2) Tell the guy he's shit outta luck
    3) Other??

Rich

if it seems like a hassle and the record was no biggie, maybe just split the cost of the LP in a refund. I'm guessing it was a $10 - $15 one (I hope).

Otherwise, i'm inclined to say SOL- if you took proper precautions in terms of packing, etc.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Was it shipped in a record mailer with some kind of reinforcement?

If so, and buyer chose the cheap route, then I say SOL

• I worked at a store that dealt with a few problems like this -- well packed, uninsured media mail packages breaking in the mail. Out store manager always chose the refund route instead of the S.O.L. route in the intrest of feedback. Its more like a bribe to get good feedback in a way, becuase you never really know what a pissed of SOB is gonna say in their feedback. Sucks to have to deal with a negative.

But, if you don't want to have to deal with refunds, just say loud and clear in your posts that people are S.O.L. unless they insure the record. As long as its there in writing, what can they really say? Then you can even offer a small partial refund to sugar them up if you feel like it. Thats my two cents...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    My favorite is being charged $5.50 for media mail for each item won; that is, me paying $11 to have two LPs shipped to me via media mail (uninsured).

I'm calling this guy out: I refuse to let people profit off of shipping.