Pete Rock Question

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
That track, "Specialize" that was released on Elektra Japan doesn't seem to have the instrumental but I have that NBA compilation which has the instrumental track to "We Specialize", so my question is if the Japanese 12" didn't have the inst. where did it come from? Anyone?

Comments

• Maybe they just didn't feel like including it.

• the japanese verison was probably given to them by someone who took the song from the studio or Pete Rock himself without Pete's permission, and the dat or disk didn't include an instrumental of the song. Whereas, the NBA would come to Pete on some correct shit, and ask permission for the song. Therefore, they would get an instrumental or whatever else. Believe me, this type of shit happens everyday.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    If that comp/boot has the inst. it had to come from somewhere right?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    the japanese verison was probably given to them by someone who took the song from the studio or Pete Rock himself without Pete's permission, and the dat or disk didn't include an instrumental of the song. Whereas, the NBA would come to Pete on some correct shit, and ask permission for the song. Therefore, they would get an instrumental or whatever else. Believe me, this type of shit happens everyday.

You miss understood, the NBA didn't put out that record. There is a comp/boot on NBA records. And that Elektra Japanese release is said to be legit.

• sorry, I def. misunderstood, but that Elektra comp. ain't legit. Trust me. I know from a very good source.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    the japanese verison was probably given to them by someone who took the song from the studio or Pete Rock himself without Pete's permission, and the dat or disk didn't include an instrumental of the song. Whereas, the NBA would come to Pete on some correct shit, and ask permission for the song. Therefore, they would get an instrumental or whatever else. Believe me, this type of shit happens everyday.

You miss understood, the NBA didn't put out that record. There is a comp/boot on NBA records. And that Elektra Japanese release is said to be legit.

I remember speaking to Jared @ TSL a long time ago & he said those JPN pressings were boots. They look legit to me, but who knows.

• There's too many songs squished on that NBA comp.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    sorry, I def. misunderstood, but that Elektra comp. ain't legit. Trust me. I know from a very good source.

Good to know cause they are way over priced if you see them on ebay.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    That track, "Specialize" that was released on Elektra Japan doesn't seem to have the instrumental but I have that NBA compilation which has the instrumental track to "We Specialize", so my question is if the Japanese 12" didn't have the inst. where did it come from? Anyone?

It was also on a US white label with some other heat .... I think another pete rock remix that never saw the light of day. It was a pretty rare white label for that time actually. I don't even know if it was sold in stores actually. Hell, now you got me wondering because it's been so many years.... I need to go home and pull that bitch out. Fuck...I'm on the phone with attic asking him to find it right now...lol When I find it or he does, I'll post it up. I could be wrong about the inst, but I'm pretty sure it was Specialze lp and inst, and on the b-side there was another pete rock song with inst and something else....maybe accapella for the other song. I don't recall the third part of side B. Man... bad memory on my part. I do know for a fact however I have a Specialize 12" and it's not from Japan! lol

• everything on ebay is overpriced.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

It was also on a US white label with some other heat .... I think another pete rock remix that never saw the light of day. It was a pretty rare white label for that time actually. I don't even know if it was sold in stores actually. Hell, now you got me wondering because it's been so many years.... I need to go home and pull that bitch out. Fuck...I'm on the phone with attic asking him to find it right now...lol When I find it or he does, I'll post it up. I could be wrong about the inst, but I'm pretty sure it was Specialze lp and inst, and on the b-side there was another pete rock song with inst and something else....maybe accapella for the other song. I don't recall the third part of side B. Man... bad memory on my part. I do know for a fact however I have a Specialize 12" and it's not from Japan! lol

I think this NBA compilation came out sometime in 1996 and featured the Pete Rock remix to "Searchin" with the inst. and "Specialize" with the inst among other various songs from Main Source and others. So I was wondering where "Specialized" originated from with the isnt. Is there a promo, is there a demo tape where they lifted these songs from? Someone's got to know....

• The NBA comp was off a dat from what I remember. It was not authorized. The "Searching" remix with the Johnny Pate was dope too.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    The NBA comp was off a dat from what I remember. It was not authorized. The "Searching" remix with the Johnny Pate was dope too.

Yeah that Searchin remix was coo, it's just that the sample hass been used too many times. So there is no legit "Specialize" record is there?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    The NBA comp was off a dat from what I remember. It was not authorized. The "Searching" remix with the Johnny Pate was dope too.

Yeah that Searchin remix was coo, it's just that the sample hass been used too many times. So there is no legit "Specialize" record is there?

Ya...my 12" has an instrumental. I'm listening to it right now. The label has the instrumental being 3rd on Side A, but it's actually second.

There is some other DeDi/Pete Rock song called "Do You Understand" also...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    There was a boot 12" that came out sometime in 2004 I think that had "Specialize" on it so is that teh one you have? In 96 Specialize was floting around and that NBA records boot came out with the instro. Maybe I'll post the photo later. So who really knows where it came from.

• everything on ebay is overpriced.

quote of the day

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Is there also an acapella cause I just got a dope remix to "Specialize" in the mail today?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Thanks again O-Dub. Well it looks like an actual promo does exist for "Searchin" remix b/w "We Specialize" but still no instrumental track. So the question remains, where did the instrumental come from?