Comments

• Im south of the Mason-Dixon line.

So it's Salt then???

That narrows it down!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Im south of the Mason-Dixon line.

So it's Salt then???

I don't know dude, south of the mason dixon line includes some other pretty heavy states too (Florida for example). Plus, dude didn't even say it's a local release.

So it's Salt then???

I don't know dude, south of the mason dixon line includes some other pretty heavy states too (Florida for example). Plus, dude didn't even say it's a local release.

He did say that it was a record of which there are roughly half a dozen known copies, over which the record geek universe will cream itself in short order.

I say it's Salt....*

* I suspect his reluctance to say "where" "South of the Mason Dixon" line suggests that the exact location would spill the beans immediately.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You really need to exploit this in ways other than financial. Be sadistic. You can have a buncha "too cool for school" record dorks eating out of your hand. Most of these people value records records more than their family, friends, or self-esteem. Make them begg - you will never again have an opprotunity like this, my friend! Humiliate them, and then take the money.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    You really need to exploit this in ways other than financil. Be sadistic. You can have a buncha "too cool for school" record dorks eating out of your hand. Most of these people value records records more than their family, friends, or self-esteem. Make them begg - you will never again have an opprotunity like this, my friend! Humiliate them, and then take the money.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So it's Salt then???

He did say that it was a record of which there are roughly half a dozen known copies, over which the record geek universe will cream itself in short order.

I say it's Salt....*

* I suspect his reluctance to say "where" "South of the Mason Dixon" line suggests that the exact location would spill the beans immediately.

I hear you, but there are more than a few 45s of which only a couple known copies exist.

Even if it was from NOLA it could still be something like Tabby Thomas or the Explosions "Jockey Ride"

So it's Salt then???

I say it's Salt....*

I hear you, but there are more than a few 45s of which only a couple known copies exist.

Even if it was from NOLA it could still be something like Tabby Thomas or the Explosions "Jockey Ride"

Oooohhhhh...I forgot about that Explosions....

• You really need to exploit this in ways other than financial. Be sadistic. You can have a buncha "headz" begging to know the deal.

BTW: This has to be an April Foll's joke.

So it's Salt then???

I say it's Salt....*

Oooohhhhh...I forgot about that Explosions....

haha. i mean, whatever it is i's nothing i own...and I agree Salt would be the most ridiculous just because it's such a mythical record.

Actually, you know what? I bet it's the April and the Fools 45 "Jokes on You" on the Soulaughing label. shit is raw!

You really need to exploit this in ways other than financial. Be sadistic. You can have a buncha "headz" begging to know the deal.

BTW: This has to be an April Foll's joke.

It's a good one though!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I don't even know what this record is and I NEED IT!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    the reality is there's at least 50 records I can think of that fit this $1,000 + shroud and none of them would fetch less by knowing 8 more exist.

• Really?
    I was under the assumption that this is exactly
    what would happen.
    So, the general consensus
    is to ebay one every 2 months or so?
    Oh btw, I am not April Fool-ing.
    The date is purely coincidental.
    I came across these Tuesday.

headz scratching their headz for lack of knowing the deal.

Really?
    what would happen.

Really. 6 newly available copies of a record people will spend $1,000+ on doesn't make kill the market for the record as there are more than 6 people who obviously want/need the record. And if it's of Salt/Dayton Sindwinders calibur I'd bet you could do a dutch auction and get the 6K in 7 days.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Really?
    what would happen.

Really. 6 newly available copies of a record people will spend $1,000+ on doesn't make kill the market for the record as there are more than 6 people who obviously want/need the record. And if it's of Salt/Dayton Sindwinders calibur I'd bet you could do a dutch auction and get the 6K in 7 days.

I don't know man, I think the knowledge that the record is now 2x-3x more common than had been previously believed would cause a lot of people to rethink just how badly they wanted it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Really?
    what would happen.

I don't know man, I think the knowledge that the record is now 2x-3x more common than had been previously believed would cause a lot of people to rethink just how badly they wanted it.

Percentage-wise maybe but when you think of the available supply versus people who are absolutely sure they want it I don't think it's a problem. It's not like he found 20-30 pieces...

Really?
    what would happen.

Percentage-wise maybe but when you think of the available supply versus people who are absolutely sure they want it I don't think it's a problem. It's not like he found 20-30 pieces...

I'm still skeptical, but I won't pretend to be able to get inside the mind of somebody that puts down $1000+ on a 45.

Really?
    what would happen.

I agree with faux. People pay for the knowledge that they are one of the very few (i.e. under 10) that have a copy, so when they go to spin at a funk night they can be essentially guaranteed that they're the only one there with the record. Also, it completely depends on what the record is and what the going rate of the first copy is. Let's say it's something like the Hifidelics, which just sold for around $3,000. Yes, the dealer could easily get $1,000 a piece for the next five copies, but I seriously doubt (s)he'll be able to get $3,000 or even $2,500 for the next five because there just aren't that many collectors out there with that type of disposable income. This is especially true for funk 45 collectors who don't have a scene nearly as big as that of northern soul.

• I don't know man, I think the knowledge that the record is now 2x-3x more common than had been previously believed would cause a lot of people to rethink just how badly they wanted it.'Xactly.
    This is an odd situation to be in. I am all for capitalism, so
    I'm not afraid to say that I want to make loot off this stash.
    However, I don't want to be the guy that killed the value of
    this record, either. What if I sell 3 copies with a caveat
    that the buyer has to keep a lid on it for a while?
    Wait, thats kinda silly.

What if I sell 3 copies with a caveat
    that the buyer has to keep a lid on it for a while?
    Wait, thats kinda silly.

This is the sort of gentleman's agreement that breeds eternal inter-board beef. Prepare to be e-stalked for the next five years by the James Troubles of the world if you try this one.

• Really?
    what would happen.

I'm still skeptical, but I won't pretend to be able to get inside the mind of somebody that puts down $1000+ on a 45.

Actually, I probably agree with yoigotbeats. I don't think the price will come down. If it's really that type of grail, finding 8 is not going to shift things too much. There are enough people who will buy them.

• So, if you cats think that "8 Isn't Enough",
    then do I need to do the wait-2-months-each-time
    thing on ebay? Why not just slap 'em up one
    after the other?
    Also, does anyone ever actually say on an ebay
    posting that they have multiples, and the exact amount?
    That might actually get the last couple to go through the roof?

-Discuss.

• 8 can change the value of a record. Ebay is your worst enemy.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    dude, what the fuck is the record?

I agree with faux. People pay for the knowledge that they are one of the very few (i.e. under 10) that have a copy, so when they go to spin at a funk night they can be essentially guaranteed that they're the only one there with the record. Also, it completely depends on what the record is and what the going rate of the first copy is. Let's say it's something like the Hifidelics, which just sold for around $3,000. Yes, the dealer could easily get $1,000 a piece for the next five copies, but I seriously doubt (s)he'll be able to get $3,000 or even $2,500 for the next five because there just aren't that many collectors out there with that type of disposable income. This is especially true for funk 45 collectors who don't have a scene nearly as big as that of northern soul.

You mean to tell me you couldn't get Shadow, Wermingler, Keb, Chemist, Trouble & Egon et al to come out their pockets for a G on some shit they would be one of 6 people to have yet another grail (or even an upgrade)???? We're not even talking about like the Andy Smith's (with his recently advance for the Portishead record) and Aaron Fuchs' of the world who drop g's on a whim.

But for the record, I'd have zero problem spending a G-Unit for a grail where 8 just came onto the scene. It's not like we're talking about something like Latin Breed's Hard to Handle.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    dude, what the fuck is the record?

Seriously, trying to pimp the SOUL STRUT BRAIN TRUST without giving up the title is a bitch move.

...and if it's Headless Heroes I'll beat you with my Wallabee.

...and if it's Headless Heroes I'll beat you with my Wallabee.

WORD TO THE THIRD