Calvin Hobbes VS Far Side NRR

2»

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    phuck, undecided. i think i'l get Far Side first.

on a side note of how phucking stupid i am, i think was 20 when i realized Hobbes wasn't real, i though he always faked being a stuffed tiger to piss off Calvin. Only when I saw the OG comic of Calvin roping Hobbes with a tuna fish sandwhich did I clue in.

Perhaps you were right. A side effect of aging is the inability to see tigers in the suburbs.

on a second side note of how phucking stupid i am, i am 26 and now i'm questioning whether Hobbes is indeed real and just pretends he's a stuffed animal when Calvin's parents are around to piss him off and not be discovered.

can someone drop some knowledge? is Hobbes real or not? Both ways, it makes a lot of sense.

• He talks about it at length in the Calvin & Hobbes 10th Anniversary Book. I've got crazy respect for him for the stance he took.

Thanks DJ Enki! As the phrase around here goes...I have to read up on my readups.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    can someone drop some knowledge? is Hobbes real or not? Both ways, it makes a lot of sense.

Calvin's imaginative play is the central element of Watterson's strip, and the reality of his friendship with Hobbes is never resolved. The tiger's true nature is left ambiguous. Perhaps Calvin's parents just can't see Hobbes as he really is, or worse, their presence turns him into a plush toy. In a 1989 interview published in Comics Journal, the questioner mentioned to Watterson that Hobbes was a figment of Calvin's imagination. "But the strip doesn't assert that," Watterson said. "That's the assumption that adults make because nobody else sees him, sees Hobbes, in the way that Calvin does. ??? It would seem to me, though, that when you make up a friend for yourself, you would have somebody to agree with you, not to argue with you. So Hobbes is more real than I suspect any kid would dream up."

http://www.slate.com/id/2129373/ (this is a really good article, but the "slideshow" format is kinda weird)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    The last C&H strip:

Now the fake doctored final strip... Saddest comic strip ever???

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Calvin and Hobbes set a standard for cartoons. The art work, the writing, the humor. Sadly no current strip comes close to achiving the standard set by C&H.

i completely disagree with this ... alot of people don't seem to remember the true masters who came before.. calvin and hobbes was if anything a return / last of a now dead breed / homage to the glory days of E C Segar, Feineger, Little Nemo, Gasoline Alley, Herriman, Carl Barks, not to mention Walt Kelly's Pogo

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Best comics from MY lifetime:

1) Peanuts - hands down.
    2) Calvin and Hobbes - more sophisticated than Peanuts in some ways, certainly more literate for adult readers, though I'm pretty sure Waterson would never claim that his strip was better than Schultz since his wouldn't exist without the former.
    3) Doonesbury - Political content combined with character development (something that Aaron McGruder has only half-mastered)
    4) Far Side - King of the single panel
    5) Bloom County - relatively short-lived, derivative of Doonesbury, yet imaginative with some of the best characters ever.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i just discoverd ted rall...tight

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i just discoverd ted rall...tight

There are a lot of weekly cartoonist that I like. Ted Rall and the other political guys in the same vain. The K Chronicals is real good. Lynda Barry is a personal favorite.

Dan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Calvin and Hobbes set a standard for cartoons. The art work, the writing, the humor. Sadly no current strip comes close to achiving the standard set by C&H.

i completely disagree with this ... alot of people don't seem to remember the true masters who came before.. calvin and hobbes was if anything a return / last of a now dead breed / homage to the glory days of E C Segar, Feineger, Little Nemo, Gasoline Alley, Herriman, Carl Barks, not to mention Walt Kelly's Pogo

I am not going to argue with any of those. Pogo and Gasoline Alley were running when I was a kid, but they were past their prime.

I also agree with what O-Dub said.

So currently daily favs?

1) Mutts (Can be overly cute, great illustrations)
    2) Get Fuzzy (Still getting better)
    3) Doonesbury (Newly rejuvinated)
    4) Dilbert (No charecters or storys, but he can be funny)
    5) Boondocks (I don't get this daily, I have the book, He talks about sacraficing the art and chareceters in order to make the deadlines in his book.)

• i completely disagree with this ... alot of people don't seem to remember the true masters who came before.. calvin and hobbes was if anything a return / last of a now dead breed / homage to the glory days of E C Segar, Feineger, Little Nemo, Gasoline Alley, Herriman, Carl Barks, not to mention Walt Kelly's Pogo

yes! I highly recommend checking out the masters of american comics show in L.A. Right now wich covers all these artists.

http://www.hammer.ucla.edu/exhibitions/94/

Just picked up the catalog and the reproductions and essays are amazing.

As far as current working artists chris ware is doing some amazing things.
    ive met him a few times, hes a really nice guy.

• Calvin and Hobbes set a standard for cartoons. The art work, the writing, the humor. Sadly no current strip comes close to achiving the standard set by C&H.

Yeah, those are all top quality.

For folks into Far Side, you should look at the work of Bernard Kliban.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    shit i just got the Complete Farside collection as a delayed xmas gift. it is fucking heavy (literally and nonliterally) and insane.