funky worm 45RPM with DE drum break??? WTF?

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I just listened to Funky Worm on 45 for the first time just now. it has the drum intro from Detroit Emerald's "Gettin' a Little Too Smart" at the beginning. is this common digger knowledge and i'm just being a crazy little dude? Is this the first case of sampling? i know it's the same label and all but still. what's the deal with that? do any of yall have other old 45's with bits of another song in them?

Comments

• rayray 77 Posts
    It is common knowledge. Reverse is also true - the Detroit Emeralds LP has the break but the 45 doesn't.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    It is common knowledge. Reverse is also true - the Detroit Emeralds LP has the break but the 45 doesn't.

that's weird. is there some story behind it? i've never heard of slicing a bit from one record onto another one.

where's the little dude graemlin?

• Same label right? there you go!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    look at the catalog #'s for both the ohio players and the detroit emeralds albums...
    wb2017=ohio players
    wb2018=detroit emeralds
    back to back in the westbound catalog...also the ohio players were the backing group for the detroit emeralds like the nite liters were for new birth.
    -spiv

look at the catalog #'s for both the ohio players and the detroit emeralds albums...
    wb2017=ohio players
    wb2018=detroit emeralds
    back to back in the westbound catalog...also the ohio players were the backing group for the detroit emeralds like the nite liters were for new birth.
    -spiv

So they just played the same pattern? and then left it off of the OP album? didn't want the same break/pattern on two albums, right? is that why the break isn't on the DE 7"?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    "Belly Dancin' Dina" by The Jungle Brothers contains the "Funky Worm" 45rpm break.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"Belly Dancin' Dina" by The Jungle Brothers contains the "Funky Worm" 45rpm break.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

for real? i just figured that was the DE break. i guess

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts