Earth, Wind Fire

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm in the process of making "best of" CDs of my favorite soul artists. I've done Rose Royce and I'm about to do Earth Wind & Fire. Here's what I'm looking at including. Anyone think I'm missing anything essential?Earth Wind & Fire-Baad Ass Soundtrack???-Earth, Wind & Fire 1971Help SomebodyMoment Of TruthFan The FireC'mon ChildrenHandwriting On The WallBad Tune-The Need Of Love 1971EnergyBeautyI Can Feel It In My BonesEverything Is Everything-Last Days & Times 1972Remember The ChildrenTime Is On Your SidePowerThey Don't See-Head To The Sky 1973Build Your Nest-Open Your Eyes 1973Mighty MightyFair But So UncoolFeelin' BlueDrum SongTee Nine Chee Bit-That's The Way Of The World 1975 Shining StarReasonsThat's The Way Of The World-Gratitude 1975Sun GodessYou Can't Hide LoveSing A Song-Spirit 1976Getaway-All'n AllSerpentine FireFantasyJupiterRunnin'Brazilian Rhyme-I AmBoogie WonderlandAfter The Love Is Gone-RaiseLet's Groove-??September

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

GRATITUDE. The live Version of REASONS iz a CLASSIC.

OOPS I see u have the album. I would omit the studio REASONS for GRATITUDE's version.

• I would add the tune "Evil" from the Head To The Sky lp.

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts
    What about "Africano" from That's the Way of the World? Or, better yet -- the "Africano/Power" medley from Gratitude.

By tommorow there will be everysong EWF ever made.

• You really need the live version of "Devotion". A MUST HAVE for your mix, mane. Don't even make it if you're not gonna include that one.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    You really need the live version of "Devotion". A MUST HAVE for your mix, mane. Don't even make it if you're not gonna include that one.

crowd goes fricken nuts.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

GRATITUDE. The live Version of REASONS iz a CLASSIC.

one of the best songs period."he plays so lovely don't you agree.."i never hear the studio vers. on the radio,it's always the live.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I'm in the process of making "best of" CDs of my favorite soul artists. I've done Rose Royce and I'm about to do Earth Wind & Fire. Here's what I'm looking at including. Anyone think I'm missing anything essential?

Earth Wind & Fire

-Baad Ass Soundtrack???

-Earth, Wind & Fire 1971
    Help Somebody
    Moment Of Truth
    Fan The Fire
    C'mon Children
    Handwriting On The Wall
    Bad Tune

-The Need Of Love 1971
    Energy
    Beauty
    I Can Feel It In My Bones
    Everything Is Everything

-Last Days & Times 1972
    Remember The Children
    Time Is On Your Side
    Power
    They Don't See

-Head To The Sky 1973
    Build Your Nest

-Open Your Eyes 1973
    Mighty Mighty
    Fair But So Uncool
    Feelin' Blue
    Drum Song
    Tee Nine Chee Bit

-That's The Way Of The World 1975
    Shining Star
    Reasons
    That's The Way Of The World

-Gratitude 1975
    Sun Godess
    You Can't Hide Love
    Sing A Song

-Spirit 1976
    Getaway

-All'n All
    Serpentine Fire
    Fantasy
    Jupiter
    Runnin'
    Brazilian Rhyme

-I Am
    Boogie Wonderland
    After The Love Is Gone

-Raise
    Let's Groove

-??
    September

I'm curious what you put on your Rose Royce one?

I'm curious what you put on your Rose Royce one?

That's what I was thinkin'!!! They dont have the same body of work as EW&F but one could make a hot comp.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    You really need the live version of "Devotion". A MUST HAVE for your mix, mane. Don't even make it if you're not gonna include that one.

• I read a while ago that members of EWF were in The Pharaohs... this true? If so, how many?

U could sneak in some M.White production.........

or

These pale in comparison to EW&F but Maurice and Verdine produced some sleepers.

JUST COP THIS.......

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

you DEFINITELY need "love's holiday" from all n all. that is the fucking JAM.

also "september" is a non-lp track other than the best of vol. 1.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    I read a while ago that members of EWF were in The Pharaohs... this true? If so, how many?

sort of -- earth, wind & fire's horn section from '75 on, the phenix horns, was partially comprised of pharoahs members don myrick & louis satterfield.

• "Thinking of You"... later EWF from the LP/CD Touch the World '87.

also, from the Ramsey Lewis Sun Goddess lp, the song "Hot Dawgit"

• "Thinking of You"... later EWF from the LP/CD Touch the World '87.

I tell you, there is some heat on some of those 80's EWF albums, the ones they put out after their popularity waned. One cut in particular but of course I'm on some schitt so I can't say no names.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Some later favorites:

Faces (1980):
    Turn It Into Something Good
    You
    Take It To The Sky
    Share Your Love

Powerlight (1983):
    Fall In Love With Me
    Speed of Love

Millienium (1990?):
    Spend the Night With You

SG

• I would add the tune "Evil" from the Head To The Sky lp.

wooooord up! killer classic

btw hows pk? dirty mike sed was up..

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Don't forget these:

-"See the Light" (from "That's the Way of the World). Such a pretty, melodic song.

-"Earth, Wind, and Fire", "On Your Face", and "Saturday Nite" (from "Spirit").

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    uhuru- ramsey lewis ...maurice white's first ( and best?) kalimba track... funky

• thanx for all the feedback. I'm going to dig up all my EWF vinyl to see what I have I think I have most all the LPs. I will need to get those two live versions mentioned. I'll put up a list of stuff I don't have or my vinyl is beat to hell and if someone wants to post mp3s of them I won't be mad

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    "Thinking of You"... later EWF from the LP/CD Touch the World '87.

I tell you, there is some heat on some of those 80's EWF albums, the ones they put out after their popularity waned. One cut in particular but of course I'm on some schitt so I can't say no names.

Word Phill! I KNOW you are talking about "My Love" from the 1981 RAISE! LP. "My Love" is that SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Wanna Be With You" from the same LP is nice too.

• if ya wanna get , throw on the Salty Peppers 45...EWF before they were called EW&F, they made a wise name change me thinks.

uhuru- ramsey lewis ...maurice white's first ( and best?) kalimba track... funky

• -Open Your Eyes 1973
    Mighty Mighty
    Fair But So Uncool
    Feelin' Blue
    Drum Song
    Tee Nine Chee Bit

God dammit, that's 1974. Respect the 1974 Columbia Records holy trinity:

Expand that to a full four corners: