Starpoint???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I dont know much about this group. None of my books cover their output. I remember when they were on the shelves back in the day, but dont seem to recall any radio hits.Could I get some critque pleez.

Comments

• "Object Of My Desire" was their biggest and pretty much their only hit from '85. You'd recognize it if you heard it.

First 3 records are somewhat decent and boogie-ish. My fave being Wanting You, both the album and the track.

Check out starpointmusic.com

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Object Of My Desire" was their biggest and pretty much their only hit from '85. You'd recognize it if you heard it.

First 3 records are somewhat decent and boogie-ish. My fave being Wanting You, both the album and the track.

Check out starpointmusic.com

I remember a video or two from the 80's.

I copped an lp from . Their cover of Break Up To Make Up iz lava.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    somewhat decent and boogie-ish.

on a good day

• Yeah, that's definitely their best album. I'll throw in a couple tracks in an early slower boogie set but that's about it. Always been curious about a track called "I Want You" that Levan supposedly played at the Garage. Either a type-o or some unreleased ish.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    None of my books cover their output.

What are these books? Is there knowledge dropped?

Is this your first Marvel?? avatar?

Rocket Racer is Radd. Dude was straight Spidey Super Stories!!!

( )

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Starpoint's - "Bring Your Sweet Loving Back" can be heard on DJ Spinna's "Strange Games And Things". Decent boogie, definitely seen a bunch while digging, and shy away because I assume they are one-hit lps. Any decent ones to keep an eye on?

None of my books cover their output.

What are these books? Is there knowledge dropped?

Dave Thompson covers some 80's cats like Midnight Starr. Second string Funk bands.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Dave Thompson covers some 80's cats like Midnight Starr. Second string Funk bands.

I've heard bad things about that book, but I also apply to the "if it's the only one out there, read it" school of thought. It's not like we have endless choices in books to read about soul/funk/etc. The music section of any mall bookstore is an incredibly depressing thing. Even the hipper bookstores in my area will maybe carry "Sweet Soul Music" & that Dave Thompson book, maybe the "Rough Guide to Soul," but then have like 28 different books about the Grateful Dead. Sad.

Midnight Starr are the shit. "No Parking on the Dance Floor" LP has a few hot tracks, and the video for the title track is one of the best ever.

Excuse me, Madam.
    You're standing still in a no-parking-zone.
    If you don't get a move on that body,
    I'll be forced to give you a ticket
    So GET WITH IT!

Damn, good observation. I think so. Could be the cold weather.

• Is this your first Marvel?? avatar?

Straight bite of The Black Racer...

BTW, sorry to stray so far off topic but I love those old blaxploitation superheroes from the 70's. Black Goliath, Black Lightning, Brother Voodoo, etc. Somebody should start up a thread of their favorite superbrothas. Okay, back to your scheduled thread topic (I coulda swore Starpoint had some other big hits besides Object Of My Desire, but after checking their discog I guess they didn't... I remember them being a significant r&b act in the early 80's regardless).

Straight bite of The Black Racer...

BTW, sorry to stray so far off topic but I love those old blaxploitation superheroes from the 70's. Black Goliath, Black Lightning, Brother Voodoo, etc. Somebody should start up a thread of their favorite superbrothas.

BLACKSUPERHEROMUSEUM

• sartpoint 1st and 2nd albums have great stuff on them. wanting you is amazing. you have to be down with the whole high fashion, rene and angela thing though to understand what is up with this shit. real heads know the deal.