Itunes question - please help! (new mix related)

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I just finished a new mix, and I have been dubbing demo versions for homies. I recorded the finished mix from my 8-track onto protools at my boy's house, then burnt it onto a CD with specific track markers. This CD copy plays through with no pauses in between tracks. Then I took it home, and imported it onto itunes. However, now when I burn a CD off of itunes, there's spaces in between the tracks. I just want it to flow from track to track with no spaces. Is there a way to bypass this in itunes, like some sort of setting I can use to change it? Thanks in advance doods, I could really use some help here.

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    In the preferences menu, set "gap between songs" to zero. Depending on which version of iTunes you're using, the menu navigation should be something like: preferences--->advanced--->burning--->set gap to zero.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I hate that. People are always asking me for a version of my CDs that is just one track because they always have shuffle on. Do we now make iPod friendly versions of our CDs? Discuss...

DJ Ferrari

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    that's just the nature of mp3's, there will be gaps between each track because the program is reading the id3 tag info before playing the song. So far there's no way to avoid this other than to rip the mix as one giant mp3.

however, some lame codecs do skip the mini gap, but it's not compatible w/ itunes.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I hate that. People are always asking me for a version of my CDs that is just one track because they always have shuffle on. Do we now make iPod friendly versions of our CDs? Discuss...

DJ Ferrari

1: Insert mix CD

2: Highlight all tracks

3: Go to 'Advanced' in menu

4: Select 'Join CD Tracks'

5: Import

Mix CD will now import as one long track.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    YES! Thanks P*te! There's still a pause, miniscule at this point, but its definitely a difference. Saul goode for the demo version. Frisco strutters, when I see you in the street, I'ma throw one at ya!

DJ Ferrari

Oh shit! Maybe this is a better route. I just know as a listener, after listening to a mix the whole way through a couple times, I start to go back and want to hear specific parts, and skipping through the whole thing for one track is a batch.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Seriously, I recommend the program below. Super cheap and it allows you to import your mix and track (without) gaps. Worth every penny...

http://site.magix.net/english-us/home/music/audio-cleaning-lab-10/?version=

$34.99

• I hate that. People are always asking me for a version of my CDs that is just one track because they always have shuffle on. Do we now make iPod friendly versions of our CDs? Discuss...

cds? i still do tapes.

you gotta love that analog fuzz.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

DJ Ferrari

Oh shit! Maybe this is a better route. I just know as a listener, after listening to a mix the whole way through a couple times, I start to go back and want to hear specific parts, and skipping through the whole thing for one track is a batch.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I like being able to skip around, even if you don't give every song its own track and break your mix into 10-minute chunks or something.

Weird that there's still a gap with iTunes after you set the gap to zero. There really shouldn't be any sort of gap or going track to track that way. Hmmm....

• This is an mp3 issue, not an iTunes issue. Regardless of whether you have the gap set in preferences to be zero, there will still be a slight gap between tracks when burning mp3s. This gap is only really noticeable in mix cds or the like where the tracks are meant to blend seamlessly together.

If you want to burn CDs with the tracks still separated, but with no gaps between the mixed tracks, then rip/save the original tracks to .wav or .aiff (i.e. uncompressed[/b] audio). Then burn from these .wav or .aiff files and the transitions will be seamless, and you don't need to worry about joining the tracks or anything like that.

To rip a CD to .wav or .aiff, all you have to do is go to iTunes Preferences, click on the Advanced tab, then the Importing tab. Find where it says "Import Using:" and change it to either WAV encoder or AIFF encoder.

When you burn, just make sure you are burning from the .wav or .aiff files and not the mp3s.

Dunno if any of this made sense. About to rush out the door. Hit me back if you need a clearer explanation.

Oh, and remember to switch the "Import Using:" back to mp3 after you're finished so you're not ripping everyhting afterward into big bad uncompressed formats in the future.