Favorite James Brown Moments/Songs

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Escape-ism Part I for me: right after asking Byrd if they can get their thing out of the way, then JB calls GET DOWN!......those snare hits....and then everybody's right back in there on the key change, rock solid.

chills every time.

Yep, "Escape-ism" is one of my favorite (of many) James Brown joints. I use to play that joint while gettin' ready for school in college (good wake-up song). I like how he yells for the bridge just before the key change in "I Got to Move". Other favorite joints include:

-"World" (so dramatic yet funky!!!).
    -"I Got the Feeling" (I love the beat on that, such a tight groove).
    -"Licking Stick" (off the live LP, "Sex Machine" I think; sooooo funky!!!).
    -"I Can't Stand Myself..." (plain funky!!!!).
    -"Superbad" (tight groove, as always).
    -"Little Groove Maker Me (Parts 1 & 2)" (so raw and funky!!!).
    -"It's a Man's World" (those screams are spine-tingling).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Didn't Dee Felice Trio do a version of this?

I think so. I know the Dapps did.

The Dee Felice Trio song by the name doesn't bare any resemblence to the other JB versions... all are great though

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    i cant stand myself (when you touch me)

there was a time

• Favorite JB turnaround -- The transition from "Brother Rapp" to "Ain't it Funky Now" on 'Love Power Peace'. Bootsy-era JB's turning on a f'n dime and white hot.

Favorite JB Song -- "Since You Been Gone" off of 'Motherlode'. Again, Bootsy and Bobby Byrd taking an ordinary song and driving it right off the cotdam cliff.

JB related instrumental -- "Blow Your Head" or "Pass the Peas"

Honorable mention -- The dude with the most song titles with the word 'pants' in them.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Favorite Female singer in the James Brown Revue: Marva Whitney, THE most screaching and powerful voice out of the lot. Could do Soul, Funk and Ballads

Favorite Male singer with JB production: Hank Ballard. Got some of the best rhythm tracks to sing over.

Favorite James Brown moment: High speed chase with the cops high on drugs, shoots at cops with a shot gun!`

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    JB is heart-rending on a ballad - 'Lost Someone' anyone?

---

• Favorite Male singer with JB production: Hank Ballard. Got some of the best rhythm tracks to sing over.

"Butter Your Popcorn" is my favorite...smoothness over stuttering.

• JB is heart-rending on a ballad - 'Lost Someone' anyone?

To that list I'll add "How Do You Stop," "Like A Baby," "I Guess I'll Have To Cry, Cry, Cry," and about 50% of the "live at the Apollo" album.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

---

Yeah, he's remembered mostly for the funk, but the man is bad with ballads as well. So much emotion. It's not a ballad per se, 'cause it picks up the pace along the way, but I always liked his version of "Sunny" with Marva Whitney and The Dee Felice Trio.

It's hard to pick something from the funk repetoire, but I think I'll go with something from this:

Recorded Live At Home In Augusta, Georgia With His Bad Self

for sentimental reasons, because it was my first JB album. Got it from my moms collection. I'd have to go with "Give It Up Or Turn It Loose". That song gave me a every time, before I was even thinking about breaks. Those drums, man. I always bugged her to put it on when I was a kid. I would always try to bust some spastic dance moves to it. "Mother Popcorn" had me throwing fits on the livingroom floor. From an early age, I really felt the energy that the man was conveying.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

---

It's hard to pick something from the funk repetoire, but I think I'll go with something from this:

Recorded Live At Home In Augusta, Georgia With His Bad Self

???for sentimental reasons, because it was my first JB album. Got it from my moms collection. I'd have to go with "Give It Up Or Turn It Loose". That song gave me a every time, before I was even thinking about breaks. Those drums, man. I always bugged her to put it on when I was a kid. I would always try to bust some spastic dance moves to it. "Mother Popcorn" had me throwing fits on the livingroom floor. From an early age, I really felt the energy that the man was conveying.

• Didn't Dee Felice Trio do a version of this?

I think so. I know the Dapps did.

The Dee Felice Trio song by the name doesn't bare any resemblence to the other JB versions... all are great though

RIP Paul C

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    On the Star Time Box Set the live version of There Was A Time is just fucking unreal. Fast and furious, really unrelenting. In the middle, the band just stops on a dime and clearly James makes a move cause the crowd goes ape shit. To me that is a signal moment in getting down.

• On the Star Time Box Set the live version of There Was A Time is just fucking unreal.

The hit version of "There Was A Time" was live.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    On the Star Time Box Set the live version of There Was A Time is just fucking unreal.

The hit version of "There Was A Time" was live.

I always assumed listening to the Dapps 45 version of "There Was a Time," that it was live also - it sounds to me like maybe a "reprise" from a live show, or maybe even an intro to the vocal version...whatever it is, it's hot...

• The best 'UUGH' JB ever did IMO, was in Cold Sweat during one of the verses man, that was THE most primal UUGH ever.

My fave platter of JB's at present is James Brown's Boogaloo. - Makes you wanna get up and shake yo soul around the room yaoming??

I'm also feelin 'Let Yourself Go' right now, too... Oh and 'Shhh (For A Little While) - Moreso for the utterances of Brown diggin it than for the organ wailing.

The JBs version of Spinning Wheel also needs mention.

PAECE!!!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Where to start? Sunny with the Dee Felice Trio, People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul and Make It Funky Parts 1 and 2 are regular listens for me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Clap yo hands...

Stomp yo feet.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Favourite JB track - 'Mama's dead' from the Black Caesar LP.

Fave production - Kay Robinson 'The Lord will find a way somehow'.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Clap yo hands...

Stomp yo feet.

"Clyde...."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• my favorite jb moment has to be on a television appearance (don't know the name of the show) where he's doing 'sex machine'... in the middle of the song, he busts out this insane little dance. when i say insane, i don't mean typical face-melting jb dancing... insane, like it is kinda corny looking: like he-must-be-insane-to-bust-that-crazy-shit-dance-move-in-the-middle-of-this-hot-ass-song... anyways, he stops the insane shit and then looks at the audience and says: "it's just a dance" and then goes on with the rest of this song.

i'll try to see if i can post a clip of it when i get home tonight. shit is priceless.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Clap yo hands...

Stomp yo feet.

"Clyde...."

Bootsy!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i love how he sings the word "bewildered" as the first lyric in the song of the same name. just try to sing "bewildered" and you'll see how difficult it is to make it sound good, and how much of a genius JB had to be to make it sound that good.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    "...clap ya hands, huh... stomp ya feet, huh... in the jungle brother..."

one of many really...

• Ever seen any videos of Future Shock, that syndicated TV dance party he hosted around '75-'77 (or so)? Oh, Lord, if and when you ever get your hands on it you will shit, go blind, and in general be all like:

(REAL suspect - the guests on the few eps I have are all people he was producing)[/b]

...all at once!

• POPCORN WITH FEELING

videos of Future Shock

I constantly harass the bootleg DVD guys at record shows for this. I get these, "oh, Fat Tommy used to have a real shitty VHS dub of it he sold, but blah blah blah blah blah..." Still looking. Have the theme on a People 45, though. Even the theme is a mess!

I want the Boston concert that was broadcast live from the Garden on PBS the weekend of Dr. King's slaying. I know they have it, because you always see footage in documentaries. So just give us the whole concert on DVD, please!

• JUDJUD 82 Posts

I want the Boston concert that was broadcast live from the Garden on PBS the weekend of Dr. King's slaying. I know they have it, because you always see footage in documentaries. So just give us the whole concert on DVD, please!
    Hell yeah! The movie theatre in my city shows this on MLK day. Best tribute ever.

My favorite James Brown moment is probably his performance at the T.A.M.I. show.

Dude made the Rolling Stones look quaint!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Y'all are missing the gem.

"I was born in New York City... on a monday...

Seems I was out shining shoes by tuesday noon...

All the fat cats in the bad hats, doing me a real big favor..."

I break up everytime I hear him say "went out on a Greyhound, and came back on a stray dog..." and then starts laughing like "aaaAAAAHH HA!" "aaaAAAHHHH HA!"