The I LOVE WFMU Thread

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
ok so you people on the east are even luckier and get to check out the record fairs and what not, but i love WFMU. to me, it is a godsend in the age of clear channel. the comedy, the spreading of record wisdom, the access to live in studio performances of bands you wouldn't hear anywhere else and their blog straight kills it.

i mean, they got a post on erotic aerobics mp3s today!

I've ripped and uploaded the Rock Rot & Rule prank audio on Tom Sharpling's show that I have probably listened to 10+ times. A guy goes on the show pretending to be a music critic with a new book out basically determining which artists in rock history suck or rule, or as he says "rock" or "rot". all these irate music fans call in and bitch him out because he says shit like bruce hornsy rules and neil young rots and that "madness invented ska" etc etc

as a music fan, this audio will have you in stitches...

"Rock Rot & Rule" mp3

you can buy the other sharpling & wurster wfmu comedy cds here i have only heard one other cd (the chain fights one) but soulmarcosa has told me that they are all really funny.

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I often spend workdays listening to the archived Sinner's Crossroads gospel shows - like Gwen Stefani says, "that's my shit".

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    tom sharpling is the funniest shit... philly boy roy!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This is dangerously semi-RR, but I too love WFMU, there's basically more there than I can possibly listen to, but here's my 'FMU top 10 of shows past and present that I listen to (many of which live on in archive form)

1) Seven Second Delay[/b]
    2) Downtown Soulville[/b]
    3) Ariel View with Chris T (RIP)[/b]
    4) Communication Breakdown with Chris T[/b]
    5) Do or DIY with People Like Us semi-RIP[/b]
    6) Coffee Break for Heros and Villans[/i]
    7) Nickel and Dime Radio with $mall ??hange (RIP)[/b]
    8) Re:Mixology with DJ Jesuspants (RIP)[/b]
    9) The Audio Kitchen with The Professor semi-RIP[/b]
    10) That one episode of Rhubarb Cake with Douglas where he plays the entire People records 45 discography[/b] Link

• tom sharpling is the funniest shit... philly boy roy!

"Then we have a salad made out of 'nem Tastykakes. Oh, it's like the nectar of the gods!"

NICE!

HOW DARE YOU! GET OFF MY PHONE YOU CREEP!

• This is dangerously semi-RR, but I too love WFMU, there's basically more there than I can possibly listen to, but here's my 'FMU top 10 of shows past and present that I listen to (many of which live on in archive form)

1) Seven Second Delay[/b]
    2) Downtown Soulville[/b]
    3) Ariel View with Chris T (RIP)[/b]
    4) Communication Breakdown with Chris T[/b]
    5) Do or DIY with People Like Us semi-RIP[/b]
    6) Coffee Break for Heros and Villans[/i]
    7) Nickel and Dime Radio with $mall ??hange (RIP)[/b]
    8) Re:Mixology with DJ Jesuspants (RIP)[/b]
    9) The Audio Kitchen with The Professor semi-RIP[/b]
    10) That one episode of Rhubarb Cake with Douglas where he plays the entire People records 45 discography[/b] Link

i really dig Brian Turner's show who is also the music director at WFMU.

all his playlists and audio archives are available here He has had everyone play in his studio from David Kilgour to Damo Suzuki and has Captain Beefheart tribute shows etc he is AWESOME

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I loce wfmu, plus its so scattered youre almost "digging" for niceass content

soulstrut+wfmuwould=

• pasepase 89 Posts
    this takes the cake.....

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/0511/arnold_in_brazil.mov

this dude is your governor too California...

• There is this Amon Duul II TV performance from the Beat Club in 71 there

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/11/amon_duul_ii_tv.html#trackback

this takes the cake.....

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/0511/arnold_in_brazil.mov

this dude is your governor too California...

i think paren posted that yesterday!

arnold is such a meathead. "the best thing about carnaval is the parties and the beautiful women...everyone goes grazy"

it is pretty damn funny in kind of a sad way because like you said, he's our gov