Eddie Fisher and the Next 100 Years

FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I've been listening to this for a week or three (thanks Reynaldo) and I just can't get enough of this album. Thing is I'd never even heard of Eddie Fisher before - he's no spring chicken and must have been playing guitar for more than 30 years and yet I can't find anything about him. Anyone else into this records or got other suggestions for records he was on or just some basic bio?

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    waxpoetics did a feature on him

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I quite like the Two by Two 45 on Vanessa.

Soundclip here.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    and btw huge cosign on the Next One Hundred Years record

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The other record of his that I use to own was Third Cup. Has some OK tracks but I think the 100 Years LP is better. Check the review:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=F&page=3

• Cosigned to the fullest: a very special album. Try to hunt down his other cadet lp, "The Third Cup"

• While "Next 100 Years" is his best and most original (I don't know any other records that sound like it), I also celebrate:

Hot Lunch

for some later 70s sounding funk including the ultra-dope "cosmic blues"
    This may be the gayest LP cover I own. This picture doesn't show it, but he's sitting naked on a giant spoon.

and
    Third Cup

which is late 60s soul jazz kinda like Grant Green or Howard Roberts.

He is one of my favorite guitarists and has had a heavy influence on my playing, and it's also impressive how he changes his sound from jazz to acid-rock to discofunk and pulls it off successfully.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Thing is I'd never even heard of Eddie Fisher before - he's no spring chicken and must have been playing guitar for more than 30 years and yet I can't find anything about him. Anyone else into this records or got other suggestions for records he was on or just some basic bio?

I'm only aware of the three albums listed above

It can be hard to look him up though thanks to the OTHER/more popular (white) Eddie Fisher

• one of my favorite records

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Thanks to everyone - this is exactly the information I need and it's good to know that his talents are more widely appreciated. Let the quest for Eddie Fisher records begin! I think that if I ever find his other albums I'll buy them even if they only contain the faintest echoes of the talent and originality displayed on The Next 100 Years. It's discoveries like this that get me excited about digging again - - .Yeah, I know this wasn't my discovery and I don't own the wax but if i look for long enough then one day I might... All hail Soulstrut.

• Anybody else's press of this shit suck? I've got two originals and both look real decent but sound crackly. Anybody know if the Scorpio re-ish is any cleaner-sounding?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anybody else's press of this shit suck? I've got two originals and both look real decent but sound crackly. Anybody know if the Scorpio re-ish is any cleaner-sounding?

I don't remember crackles, but definitely quiet and condensed sounding...

• Anybody else's press of this shit suck? I've got two originals and both look real decent but sound crackly. Anybody know if the Scorpio re-ish is any cleaner-sounding?

My reish sounds fine, no crackles.

hot lunch on ebay

• and btw huge cosign on the Next One Hundred Years record