thrift store /garage sale/craigslist appreciation

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
i understand when folls have issues with second hand clothes, but dude. i find so many cool books/comics, records, furniture, & miscellaneous crap in these places.i dedicate this thread to all the cool shit i've found

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    wtf is that last fish???

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I found one of them fishes at a thrift store once too...

• i work by the phonebook,like NAS!?!?!?

I ONCE FOUND A NINTENDO KEYBOARD 10BUCKS

LOTS RECORDS FROM NORTH TO SOUTH JERSEY!

ONE ANTIQUE SHOP,FOUND A BUNCH OF ARABIC 45'S

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    No doubt...let's not forget mr. jeigh 600+ library lp haul off of Craigslist...

I've bought and then later sold the same fridge off of Craigslist too...not to mention this 3 tier keyboard stand I just got off of there for $50... beats paying 130 at Guitar ctr.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I feel like a dork saying this, but this stuff was way better in the 90's. Though, back then, "old headz" were telling me: "man, you dunno shit! this stuff was way better in the 80's!" haha!

• I feel like a dork saying this, but this stuff was way better in the 90's. Though, back then, "old headz" were telling me: "man, you dunno shit! this stuff was way better in the 80's!" haha!

YEAH BUT THE GIRLS ARE MUCH THICKER NOW

I feel like a dork saying this, but this stuff was way better in the 90's. Though, back then, "old headz" were telling me: "man, you dunno shit! this stuff was way better in the 80's!" haha!

YEAH BUT THE GIRLS ARE MUCH THICKER NOW

which does not matter when you have become crusty like me.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah, that was a coffinfish. they use their little fins as legs to walk on like people. that one in the pic is dead though.

i also found these cool portable radioshack amplified speakers for $3. it's got a strap and looks like a purse! they are small but they've got so much ummmph, i just plug them into my walkman or whatever has a 1/8 input jack and can blast away people on the bus if i wanted to.

• yawn......fuck is a bottom crusty?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Craigslist ain't quite as robust here as it is on the coasts, but a toast to thrifts, garage sales, junk shops, etc. for sure.

I've gotten some rad 60's mod furniture, art, clothes, speakers, projectors, cameras, books & whatnot from these places. The world would be a sad place without them.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Craigslist record game hellza weak. (nojeigh)

Craigslist apartment/chachka/equipment game off the chain.

Audrey my bears got beef with your alpacas so I'ma stop posting in your thread

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Audrey my bears got beef with your alcampas so I'ma stop posting in your thread

my alpacas look friendly but they spit with so much force, it's like a dagger. if your bears step, they will catch a bad one.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

my alpacas look friendly but they spit with so much force,

they must be indy rapper...

• About 6 or 7 years ago when I was living in Seattle I checked Craigslist for turntables.

I found this dude in DC (where I'm from) who was selling to brand new 1200s for a total of $400. I wrote him and asked if he could hold them for 2 months, since I was coming into town to see the folks.

And he fucking held them for me! They were unused, with cartridges and everything. He also had about 10,000 HiNRG records which I passed on .

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I've bought tons of records this way. Always a bizarre experience. How many of you DC dudes went over to this dudes place:

RECORD SALE! PRIVATE collection. Over 5000 LP's and 45's. Also CDs. All kinds of music. 301/937-9***.

Love the Live - Throwing Copper framed LP and the gross smell. I bought Tyree 12" from him for two dollars

• Is this the grumpy guy with all the records in those big plastic tubs? Lives in an apartment near College PArk?

I did not get along with that guy.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Gotta agree with Crink on this one. I barely ever even bother with the thrifts anymore. Ten years ago though I was going like every other day. Back then there was 4 thrifts pretty close to me. Now they all close down or become one giant overpriced value village. Remember when thrifts would have different tags on certain days, you'd bring a 99 cent shirt to the counter and it would be 90% off and cost 10 cents. Now thats what I'm talkin about. In my dozen or so years of thrifting I've only found two lunchboxes. One was Star Trek for like 5 bucks. The other one was this Pinochio pail from the early sixties, it was with the "collectables" and priced 39.99. I went up to pay for it and the cashier misread it and only charged me 3.99. Sweet. Found my Fat Albert and my Space 1999 thermoses for a buck a piece. That was cool. Oh also a roller derby wooden skateboard from the 50's. Anyways I'm just rambling but yeah I miss how thrifting used to be.

yeah, I'm still a thrify whore, but 10 years ago you could buy like a shopping cart of shit for 20 bucks. Then, you could go back the next week & do it again. I used to collect vintage clothes before I got into records. This was whan "Welcome Back Kotter" style shit was at thrifts. Now it's "saved by the bell". I guess that is inevitable though. Anyhow, yeah, the good thrifts closed, and the ones now want money for crap. Flea Markets too. I remember being outraged the first time I had to pay a buck for a record. Now, I'm lucky to get a record for under $3...

I'd like to hear from the really old school people though. I read an interview with the cramps about this. I guess digging in the 70's you could drive to the Sun Records wharehouse & buy stock Sun 78's at 6 for a dollar!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah, I'm still a thrify whore

Is this like a combination of "thowed" and "hyphy"?

Yo, this is kinda like a "hollerback girl" I think

yeah, I'm still a thrify whore

Is this like a combination of "thowed" and "hyphy"?

Yo, this is kinda like a "hollerback girl" I think

yes, it's like a "hollar back girl".

haha! I asked my 14 year old sister about that term & all she said was: "OH MY GOD!!!"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

haha! I asked my 14 year old sister about that term & all she said was: "OH MY GOD GO BACK TO LISTENING TO FOLKWAYS YOU THRIFTY WHORE, AND STOP LOOKING AT MY FRIEND MICHELLE'S SKIRT! MOMMM, JEFF LEFT HIS ROOM AGAIN!" [/b]

haha! I asked my 14 year old sister about that term & all she said was: "OH MY GOD GO BACK TO LISTENING TO FOLKWAYS YOU THRIFTY WHORE, AND STOP LOOKING AT MY FRIEND MICHELLE'S SKIRT! MOMMM, JEFF LEFT HIS ROOM AGAIN!"

haha! I have an especially scannnlesss story involving my sister & a soulstrut friend on the phone. But I won't tell it!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the appeal of thrifts have pretty much lost their lustre for me these days.

i remember back in the day drivin to indianapolis and hitting like a dozen thrifts all fuckin day...

last good thrift come up was probably 25 mint atari 2600 games at a quarter a peace... perfect for my mint with game holder stand and dust cover 2600 id scored for 10 bones the year before at a yardsale.

nowadays i prefer yardsales.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Is this the grumpy guy with all the records in those big plastic tubs? Lives in an apartment near College PArk?

Ha Ha! I bought a spare G'nR Appetite from that dude for $6. That was ALL I could find that was of interest.

He lives in the kind of bleak quasi-suburban apartment complex that is routinely busted for housing meth labs and brothels. No records.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Is this the grumpy guy with all the records in those big plastic tubs? Lives in an apartment near College PArk?

Ha Ha! I bought a spare G'nR Appetite from that dude for $6. That was ALL I could find that was of interest.

He lives in the kind of bleak quasi-suburban apartment complex that is routinely busted for housing meth labs and brothels. No records.

But ALL KINDS OF MUSIC
    His ad has been running for almost a year

• aesopkidaesopkid 10 Posts

But ALL KINDS OF MUSIC
    His ad has been running for almost a year

did you find anything with brakes?

thanx AK

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

On Craigslist I found one of these brand new the box (and prolly hot off the truck). Now, I just have to learn how to use it.

-k

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

On Craigslist I found one of these brand new the box (and prolly hot off the truck). Now, I just have to learn how to use it.

-k

Learning shit is overrated and PLAYED OUT.