Floss your favorite "TK Related Labels" LP

2»

Comments

• If we're going with distributed labels, I can't ignore the Groove Merchant catalog.

I think you're thinking of LRC??? (There was a jazz label that TK handled that was owned by the same guy who had Groove Merchant...)

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    LRC and Groove Merchant are essentially the same company. Sonny Lester had GM, Solid State, and LRC all running at various points during the seventies. I've got a GM record around here somewhere that has Distributed by TK printed on the back.

If the Parker record came before that distribution deal was struck, I wasn't aware.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i'VE GOT 2 Groove Merchant records w/ huge "Dist. by TK" stickers on em. which sucks because the covers are otherwise pretty cool looking.

• peace

• Options
    None of my Konduko 45's mention TK Productions on them - though Marlin is mention once or twice.

How 'bout you, R*****?

Don't think SUncut is a TK prod. is it?

K.

• you're right... i'm not sure on the Konduko...
    i have no proof but i thought that someone mentioned that there "could" be a connection... maybe someone knows more here?

Suncut...
    most (or all?) Sherlyn Pub. stuff is somehow connected to T.K. or am i maybe wrong?

• Options
    Nop, you're right there....now I recall having a 45 on Blue Candle with the "DO WHat You're Doing" track titled differently. Def a TK thing.

K.

• Options
    Looks like King SPorty to me...don't know if TK handled distribution of all their 45's - just a couple. Of course, the several saw primary JA releases which were all distributed ( i assume, they all have his matrices) by Coxsone Dodd such as the slice below:

Sporty is as old as they come as a Studio 1 alumni (along with Mittoo, Hibbert, Alphonso, etc) and also wrote for Marley and the Wailers. His version of "Belly Full" slaughters Bob's IMO.

K in Canada.

I'm all about his "Fire Keep On Burning" LP.

"Everybody get on down c'mon everybody get on down..."

Don't like the Roots Reggae LP? I think that takes the cake over "Fire...

K.

• peace

Suncut was owned and managed by Arnold Albury, so is "related" in the sense that Albury did some work for Henry Stone. However, it is not related in terms of ownership.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    None of my Konduko 45's mention TK Productions on them - though Marlin is mention once or twice.

Marlin was a TK sub though... right?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Killin' me with this.....

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Stony Island Band 45 on Glades is my choice.

I'll throw a scan up when I get home....maybe. I did just receive the Funky Lexicon and so may take a night off from the internet tonight......

Here's The Stony Island Band 45 scan:

And here is a scan of the Frank Williams 45 I believe was referred to earlier:

both quality, imho.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Marlin was Stones 1st label before TK was ever around. I have the Freddy Scott 45 'Same ole Beat" on Marlin (66/67?) w/ distro by London. Lynn Williams had a a 45 on
    Suncut w/ the reid tune "Don't be suprised" w/ TK Production on both sides of the label.

What's the deal w/ Kingston? Was that sporty's label?

Some Faves(AKA before the cam punked out)...

Promo Only? Great tune w/ Beaver.

Who the hell are they? K? I didn't know they played on that Ronnie 45.

Now if I could locate a clean copy of "All this Love..."

Modern Soul? "Like a River Flows" is smooth.

peace

Nice!

I NEED a copy of this! Found one last year that was missing half the 45.

• Options
    I'd deduce it Sporty was Kingston as everything I've seen is related to him. You guys eve heard his funky Studio 1 stuff??? Next level, for sure.

Our man Schoggi has impeccable taste if you don't mind me saying.

Kevin.

P.S. Never seen a green Konduko before - always been white or blue.

Kevin.

• Options

Yeah, I was conceding that point.

K.

• I'd deduce it Sporty was Kingston as everything I've seen is related to him. You guys eve heard his funky Studio 1 stuff??? Next level, for sure.

Our man Schoggi has impeccable taste if you don't mind me saying.

Kevin.

P.S. Never seen a green Konduko before - always been white or blue.

Kevin.

thanks K

well, speaking of Ronnie Keaton, if i remember right, all copies i've seen in last 8 years or so had a yellow Konduko label and a very few were white but
    never seen a blue labeled, interesting!
    i've been told that the green one is the 1st... but again i have no proof... fact is that they're all quite noisy...

• here are some better quality pics:

plus the classics:

cheers

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    If Henry Stone was involved in the Velvet label... that opens a huge fucking can of worms.

• not sure what the deal is with that Jaguar label but it's also in Hialeh, FL and according to disco-funk.com it's related to TK. the Viva is a latin disco-funk release, very nice on both sides.

not sure what the deal is with that Jaguar label but it's also in Hialeh, FL and according to disco-funk.com it's related to TK. the Viva is a latin disco-funk release, very nice on both sides.

Jaguar was a indy label from Miami and had nothing to do w/ TK.

I have the Viva on 45. How long is the mix?

• it comes in a nice pic sleeve. "bandolero 76" is 4:20, "pancho villa" is 3:40...same as 45? do you dig the tunes?

here's an odd one...a miami freestyle electro track whose label addy is 405 s.e. 10th ct., hialeh, fl:

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts

everything about this is tellin me i need it. Does anyone got a soundclip of this?

• ... i will post one later/tomorrow... i have to grab my records now and run to the club... cheers

• You have a sample of this?

here's an odd one...a miami freestyle electro track whose label addy is 405 s.e. 10th ct., hialeh, fl:

• Options
    it comes in a nice pic sleeve. "bandolero 76" is 4:20, "pancho villa" is 3:40...same as 45? do you dig the tunes?

That track is sick, Patrick. Gino's were killing me for that track back in the 80's.

K in Canada.

• everything about this is tellin me i need it. Does anyone got a soundclip of this?

to get an idea how it sounds... here is a clip of the tune: SCREWDRIVER