Floss your favorite "TK Related Labels" LP

danceonamericadanceonamerica 233 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Oh and what's the deal with TRAMA.

Comments

• Options
    First off, that's quite a few labels you're talking about (and probobly didn't know).

COncrete Jungle

K in Canada.

• Options

I think I could keep this every other post thing up for a bit...

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    why does TK have so many "related" labels?

• Options
    Henry Stone ran shit.

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Henry Stone ran shit.

k.

this is true.

I'll join is when I get home.

• Options
    Waiting

• all the Uncle Louie stuff. Full-tilt boogie 12" version is a KILLER. I mean K I L L E R ! And Ultrafunk - Gotham City Boogie..Ted Taylor - Ghetto Disco!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    why does TK have so many "related" labels?

Two words:

Restricted Playlists

By 1968 Stone was issuing over 10 records month. He knew that DJs weren't going to spin ten records on one label, so they broke it up over Marlin, Dade, Cat, Glades, Alston, TK, Dash, Drive, etc.

Willie Clarke did most of the label designs on the early records (Alston, Glades, Cat, Dash), before becoming a full time producer.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    gotta say the latimore albums on glades are my favorite
    take your pick. i dig em all

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Stony Island Band 45 on Glades is my choice.

I'll throw a scan up when I get home....maybe. I did just receive the Funky Lexicon and so may take a night off from the internet tonight......

• Swamp Dogg's Gag A Maggott on Stone Dogg (Swamp's own company, but distributed by TK)

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

I'ma go w/this, but damn them Latimore sides is butta!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• Oh and what's the deal with TRAMA.

This record does not exist...at least not in my world.

• Little dude question, but how does Saadia fit into all this? Was that label part of the Henry Stone empire or totally independent?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Is this the Ronnie Keaton "Going Down for the last time" 45?
    If so, great tune.

• Options
    Looks like King SPorty to me...don't know if TK handled distribution of all their 45's - just a couple. Of course, the several saw primary JA releases which were all distributed ( i assume, they all have his matrices) by Coxsone Dodd such as the slice below:

Sporty is as old as they come as a Studio 1 alumni (along with Mittoo, Hibbert, Alphonso, etc) and also wrote for Marley and the Wailers. His version of "Belly Full" slaughters Bob's IMO.

K in Canada.

• I know that includes several labels (Chimmeyville, Dash, Cat, Marlin, Good Sounds, etc).

Really feelin' this Osiris LP right now:

First off, that's quite a few labels you're talking about (and probobly didn't know).

K in Canada.

• If we're flossing 45's too, gotta throw in a plug for "Santa Claus Is A Black Man" by Akim on Simtone.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Looks like King SPorty to me...don't know if TK handled distribution of all their 45's - just a couple. Of course, the several saw primary JA releases which were all distributed ( i assume, they all have his matrices) by Coxsone Dodd such as the slice below:

Sporty is as old as they come as a Studio 1 alumni (along with Mittoo, Hibbert, Alphonso, etc) and also wrote for Marley and the Wailers. His version of "Belly Full" slaughters Bob's IMO.

K in Canada.

I'm all about his "Fire Keep On Burning" LP.

"Everybody get on down c'mon everybody get on down..."

• I thought it was LPs. I hope somebody will throw in some LPs.
    Of the ones I know, my suggestion would be.......

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    how does Saadia fit into all this? Was that label part of the Henry Stone empire or totally independent?

Saadia was Frank Williams label. No real TK connection per se, but the Rocketeers played on tons of south Florida records. One of the earliest Frank Williams records was on Lloyd, Willie Clarke's second label. Clarke took Betty Wright over to TK when Deep City dissolved, so there is a certain amount of lineage.

Check out Jeff Lemlich's site for tons of Florida funk and soul information, or buy his book:

www.limestonerecords.com

As for Chimneyville being part of of TK, I don't think that's correct. Chimneyville was more closely associated with Malaco, who was distributed by TK, but retained all of their masters.

• As for Chimneyville being part of of TK, I don't think that's correct. Chimneyville was more closely associated with Malaco, who was distributed by TK, but retained all of their masters.

You could probably say the same for Stone Dogg (which I mentioned a few posts back), but since all three of them were all technically Distributed By TK, I'd think these labels fit.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    It should also be mentioned that Little Beaver was a member of the Rocketeers, another connection to TK.

If we're going with distributed labels, I can't ignore the Groove Merchant catalog. Junior Parker's "Love Aint' Nothin' But A Business Goin' On" is fantastic. His version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" is out of hand good.