Those 33 a 1/3 Books?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
anyone ever read any of these shits? i'm pretty struck by how "rockist" the lineup is (i mean shit no hip hop, no jazz and one soul record, but fuckin endtroducing gets a nod?):1. Meat is Murder2. The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society (gaining on the Smiths)3. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn4. Unknown Pleasures (relentless in its pursuit of the Floyd)5. Forever Changes6. Let It Be (Beatles version)7. The Velvet Underground & Nico8. Harvest9. OK Computer 10. Dusty in Memphis (sales still ticking along thanks to Jerry Wexler)11. Electric Ladyland12. Pet Sounds (gaining fast on Jimi)13. Exile on Main St.14. Led Zeppelin IV (neck and neck with the Stones)15. Sign 'O' the Times16. Let It Be (Replacements version - Meloy about to overtake Matos)17. Grace18. Abba Gold19. Ramones20. Armed Forces21. Live at the Apollo22. Murmur23. Born in the USA24. Endtroducing...25. Aqualung26. Low27. Kick Out The Jamsbut the prospect of an entire book on sign of the times is very enticing. the amazon reviews lead me to believe that they attempt to balance sort factual/historical, analytical and personal/emotional approaches, which could be disasterous but might could be pretty good.someone should write one on soul food or de la soul is dead or get rich or die die trying or something

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I don't understand, are these books about making the album? Are they about the reaction from fans to the albums, are they critiques on the album? Really fancy lyric sheets?

Help me

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't understand, are these books about making the album? Are they about the reactino from fans to the albums, are they critiques on the album?

they seem to be a combination of the above, but i can't say for sure.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    21. Live at the Apollo

I have read this one. It was entertaining - not too much new info, but it was interesting to read in detail about the creation of what has to be one of the most influential albums of my life. Some anecdotes about JB I hadn't read elsewhere.

There are a few others I would like to read (Kinks, Joy Division, etc), but I'm waiting to find them used/cheap since they are very quick reads.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My friend wrote the Exile on Main St book. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but am looking forward to it.

• I always see these in Mojo, but have not come across them yet. Who is the publisher?

• I always see these in Mojo, but have not come across them yet. Who is the publisher?

http://www.continuumbooks.com/(s1npz02agiofr2b5ivfsdpvs)/Location.aspx

Yeah, I know this is mad old. I'm really killin time for the last hour of work today.

I like these. I have the "Forever Changes" one and the Shadow one.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The DJ Shadow one was okay--a bit short and light on some info (like thought process behind production, for example). I didn't expect it to be a blow-by-blow, but a little something for the technologically-challenged...