Nathan Davis on P-Vine

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Check out Nathan Davis P-Vine finally reissued "If" & "Martin Luther...". So stoked.

Comments

• I'd be surprised if that many people even know who Nathan Davis is. Dude was made a nice little niche for himself at the University of Pittsburgh as head of jazz studies.

• Great news! It's p-vine so their licensing is legit. In his autobiography he talks about the masters being in limbo so it's cool it got sorted finally. I'm just amazed IF was never bootlegged! He's an obscure artist, not too known stateside, but more well-known in Europe.

• Can anyone post up an audio taste of if to check out?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    the If lp really has some tracks

never heard the Martin Luther King joint.... would like though

just 1 minute :

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=02HYD16QPFZZ81A3YZK3EIW4GB

This was on AEIOU 2 I believe.

• Check out Nathan Davis P-Vine finally reissued "If" & "Martin Luther...". So stoked.

$27...ouch

• Check out Nathan Davis P-Vine finally reissued "If" & "Martin Luther...". So stoked.

$27...ouch

Better than $150+ for the OG.

• The suite for martin luther should be do-able for moderate $. Or am I high? It's the less desirable of the two in any case.

"IF" has gotten crazy. I snagged the last reasonable copy I saw, $60 for a VG+ copy uhm prob 3 years ago.... from colleen penigre (sp) even.

His european albums are gorgeous as well! Tho probably not of interest to most folks here - they're not funky. Unfortunately they don't really turn up stateside.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Makatuka and the other segue dip need to be reished. those albums are beautiful. sadly ive never come across a copy of "If" out here.

• Makatuka and the other segue dip need to be reished. those albums are beautiful. sadly ive never come across a copy of "If" out here.

hit him up for some copies he's in pittsburgh. although it's probably been done a long time ago.

• The suite for martin luther should be do-able for moderate $. Or am I high? It's the less desirable of the two in any case.

"IF" has gotten crazy. I snagged the last reasonable copy I saw, $60 for a VG+ copy uhm prob 3 years ago.... from colleen penigre (sp) even.

His european albums are gorgeous as well! Tho probably not of interest to most folks here - they're not funky. Unfortunately they don't really turn up stateside.

I got Martin Luther... from a cat right here in L.A. his ebay username (1-cent-records). He was putting up a gang of sealed ones on the bay, I was fortunately able to pick up one for $40. I would have gotten more if I would've had the $$.

yeah im sure of it. he teaches at pitt as someone else mentioned above

The suite for martin luther should be do-able for moderate $. Or am I high? It's the less desirable of the two in any case.

I got Martin Luther... from a cat right here in L.A. his ebay username (1-cent-records). He was putting up a gang of sealed ones on the bay, I was fortunately able to pick up one for $40. I would have gotten more if I would've had the $$.
    yeah that used to go for over $100 too. that dude 1 cent KILLED the market for it. he mustve put up 30 copies

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I sold that "happy girl" lp of his for quite a bit a few years back. Don't see that one mentioned much, nice bop lp imo.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I sold that "happy girl" lp of his for quite a bit a few years back. Don't see that one mentioned much, nice bop lp imo.

'Hip Walk' on saba too - looks like the prices of those have gone down, while 'If' has risen to 350 or someshit.

'If' is essential though, if I didn't already have a mint OG I'd happily drop $27 on a lovely P-Vine reish - they really do a nice job.

I'd like to hear that 'live at the bendictine monastery' one.

---

• I sold that "happy girl" lp of his for quite a bit a few years back. Don't see that one mentioned much, nice bop lp imo.

i agree ... this is a really nice album with cool modal influences

• I'd like to hear that 'live at the bendictine monastery' one.

Co-sign.... and that turkish jazz LP with him on a few cuts!

shit I've said too much....

Faces of Love '82 that is sooo hard to find, would love to hear what sounds like as well as the Monastary one. I DL Peace Treaty off of Soulseek, anyone want samples PM me.

Faces of Love '82 that is sooo hard to find, would love to hear what sounds like as well as the Monastary one. I DL Peace Treaty off of Soulseek, anyone want samples PM me.

I've heard faces of love is... well... kinda what it sounds like and not that hot. Still gets some $ tho.

• His european albums are gorgeous as well! Tho probably not of interest to most folks here - they're not funky. Unfortunately they don't really turn up with little_dude

This guy has been a dealer??s favourite since the public learned to spell S A B A

I'd like to hear that 'live at the bendictine monastery' one.

live at a monastery, sounds fresh!!!...not that i ever heard it though, what year was this?
    i did hear that turkish early 70's colab joint once, pretty much one track that was straight killin it.
    the makatuka lp gets love too, but if i had to choose one track it would definitely be Stick Buddy, sooo (dare i say) DOPE!
    btw, i remember seeing some 60's black/white footage with nathan playing with i think it was art blakey and the jazz messengers, AWESOME!!!

• His european albums are gorgeous as well! Tho probably not of interest to most folks here - they're not funky. Unfortunately they don't really turn up with little_dude

This guy has been a dealer??s favourite since the public learned to spell S A B A

No Saba

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

His european albums are gorgeous as well! Tho probably not of interest to most folks here - they're not funky. Unfortunately they don't really turn up with little_dude

• I've heard faces of love is... well... kinda what it sounds like

what's that supposed to mean?

but yeah, it has its moments but overall his weakest LP in my opinion.

the Benedictine monastery is not absolutely killer either (not as good as Hip Walk or Happy Girl). Its not the best recording quality and i think there's some weird edits if i remember correctly, haven't listened to it for a long time. its good though, and it fetches crazy dough!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd be surprised if that many people even know who Nathan Davis is. Dude was made a nice little niche for himself at the University of Pittsburgh as head of jazz studies.

Well, "If" is pretty culty amongst soul jazz heads. The Groove Merchant was one of the first to start selling 'em ten years ago - note how Domino from the Hieros flipped a beat or two off that LP...that's directly via the GM - and the price has only escalated since then. I really love that album.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

?

you talking about "Swinging Macedonia"?

?

you talking about "Swinging Macedonia"?

cant recall the title, all i remember is a sorta pale all white cover... probably with a bit of writing... maybe in turkish ?

• theres a copy of "if" on the wall at one of my spots. 200 bucks, been sitting there for about 2 months.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    yeah that used to go for over $100 too. that dude 1 cent KILLED the market for it. he mustve put up 30 copies

...sigh...

if only the market could get KILLED on all the records we need...