Hip Hop Test Pressings (RR)

13»

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    A bit nitpicky but that's not a test it's a promo.

The fact that it doesn't say test on it doesn't matter to me. A lot of tests pressings posted up here aren't different from the commercial release which is kind of what this thread was supposed to be about in the first place, but ain't complaining. Post em all up.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    anybody got the "goodfellas" test press with the extra songs and the og vers. of a few others?

• A bit nitpicky but that's not a test it's a promo.

The fact that it doesn't say test on it doesn't matter to me. A lot of tests pressings posted up here aren't different from the commercial release which is kind of what this thread was supposed to be about in the first place, but ain't complaining. Post em all up.

dang! so you knew what b-sides was thinking when he made the thread???
    i consider that off the books with the shitty remix a promo too. everyone who was in the record pool i was in back then got dubs of it.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

i consider that off the books with the shitty remix a promo too. everyone who was in the record pool i was in back then got dubs of it.

Well aren't you special, you got dubs of a shitty record.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Well aren't you special, you got dubs of a shitty record.

• im not special, and neither is that record.

just youre average everyday straight bumper bitch

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    im not special, and neither is that record.

just youre average everyday straight bumper bitch

Well we've already established that the record was shitty so move on. Not everthing can be a winner including you.

• not quite a test, but i got an early rockafella white label of Young Gunz "Can't Stop Wont Stop" that has the vocals way too quiet....thas why if you have the next pressing it says "vocals up" i wounder how common stuff like that is with pressings.

• slushslush 691 Posts

i got that one too. i like it.

my favourite is a test press of Slum Village "raise it up" where the entire b-side is the instrumental. One of my favourite jaydee beats, loud as fuck

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Test Pressing:
    Abbreviation: t/p, TP

Strictly speaking the test pressing has a similar role to the acetate, with a few vinyl copies being pressed up in order for those involved with the recording to approve the sound quality.

Unfortunately, many dance vendors describe promo white labels as test pressings or dub plates and some labels mail limited numbers of promos labelled as test pressings. Confused? You should be, don't always believe what it says on the label!

See Also: White Label, Dub Plate, Promo, Pressing

White Label:
    Abbreviation: w/l, WL

The name white label comes from the fact that most promo records used to be sent out in an unfinished state, with the label completely white. The term incorporates any record that is not a finished product, including promos, test pressings and dub plates.

Strictly speaking the label should be white, however many modern promo have printed labels.

See Also: Dub Plate, Promo, Test Pressing

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Test Pressing:
    Abbreviation: t/p, TP

Strictly speaking the test pressing has a similar role to the acetate, with a few vinyl copies being pressed up in order for those involved with the recording to approve the sound quality.

Unfortunately, many dance vendors describe promo white labels as test pressings or dub plates and some labels mail limited numbers of promos labelled as test pressings. Confused? You should be, don't always believe what it says on the label!

See Also: White Label, Dub Plate, Promo, Pressing

White Label:
    Abbreviation: w/l, WL

The name white label comes from the fact that most promo records used to be sent out in an unfinished state, with the label completely white. The term incorporates any record that is not a finished product, including promos, test pressings and dub plates.

Strictly speaking the label should be white, however many modern promo have printed labels.

See Also: Dub Plate, Promo, Test Pressing

I'll agree with Johnny on this one - the record you posted, while interesting, is not a test pressing. A test pressing comes from the plant; few are pressed & they can be a mixed bag - because its meant to refine the recording process, you might end up with a record that may have defects - a la my black sheep test press that has a really large run out groove at the begining of the record & plays @ 45. A promo is given away for promotional purposes - its a marketing tool, not a way of measuring the sound quality of a recording before pressing them for wider use. There is probably a test presing of the record you posted above. Test pressings of promo only records exist. That a test pressing can be given away as a promotional item does not mean that, conversly, all promos are test pressings.

peace

h

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    It seems to me that there is a techinical term for Test Pressings, but test pressing can also mean an unfinished white label promo thrown out there in limited quantities to test the market or promote a full length release. Either way I can consider a white label a test pressing, am I wrong?. Technical and loose terms apply. Either way same shit.

• i caught a bunch of artifacts test presses from the first record. 2LP iunstrumental of the LP is the standout.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    --> over thurr.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I am so happy that some beef went down in this thread. really though, i am.

THanks for all who said something, peace.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    --> over thurr.

Why does that look like a UK bootleg label to me. Not saying it is...

• parenparen 537 Posts
    --> over thurr.

Why does that look like a UK bootleg label to me. Not saying it is...

it's not.

• --> over thurr.

This one really blurs the line between promo and test pressing. Paycheck, can we get a ruling on this one?