French hiphop(record day related)

2»

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    http://psysheek.club.fr/index.htm
    This is SHEEK's site

Frenchies, thoughts?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Wow! "a historique about french hiphop's origins"...

pcmr, I won't download your mp3s man.
    :LOL:
    No, that's a good idea but I don't know where to start...
    (I'll try to contribute)

Yeah i know man. I dont even know enough to do them real justice (like iam history from the very beginning explaining the end 80`s era etc.) but ill try my best. If you wanna contribute something you probably have more knoledge on sagespo and stuff like that so that would be that. I would be honored to have izm comment on ntm and shit. On verra, je vais checker le site de sheek and really bapt i keep on humming brel in the metro

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Wow! "a historique about french hiphop's origins"...

pcmr, I won't download your mp3s man.
    :LOL:
    No, that's a good idea but I don't know where to start...
    (I'll try to contribute)

MoWax...
    Yeah! First MoWax releases are dope!!!
    But not HipHop

roro, posts:3, do you play bongo?

Izm,
    Yeah! Ask him what is French HipHop,
    he knows (better than me) the deal.

Lemme ask you (all) something.
    Do you understand the lyrics?
    If so, you should check out this site:
    http://psysheek.club.fr/index.htm
    This is SHEEK's site

B

no. I have no idea what they are talking about. I bought an mc solaar album on a reccomendation once and returned it when I figured out it was all in french.

I dunno, I have no problem with international lyrics in any other genre of music, but I just dont like it with hip hop. Call me a racist.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    For that dude above that asked me which tracks i've produced from that IV My People LP, i would tell you ALL of them! Touche Pas A Ma Musique, that's my beat too right here. Accordion in the hook courtesy of Serge Lama... ;-)

Qui Veut La Peau D'Mon Crew...That's me too bro'. That's the kind of beats i was "known" for here. Jimmy & Vella in 2000...don't front!!lol.

Now BSides...to be called a racist, you would have to hate a race first and foremost. Then i can't even be mad at you for hatin' because myself being french, i don't like it. I'ven never really listened to french rap except for IAM in the 90's coz they was really doin it. Besides that, i may like 5 rapper in my country and that's about it. The rest is boring for me. I raised myself with KRSONE when i was 12/13 and i stayed stuck on all those Organized, Main Source, PR&CL, EPMD shit...When you start with that, you can't really like anything else but US hip-hop. French people jumped in the bandwagon but never put any racial side to it. We don't see the world in Black and White over here...And you can feel it in the music. We are good for melodies but god we sucks with drums. Mostly because there's not a lot of groovy folks around. There's a lot of good melody makers tho'. But since Serge died, there's not much goin' on. We learned how to do rap so we can copy trends and claim it our own. For example, we are still stuck on piano/violin ?? la mobb deep but 1996!!! That's a french pattern to loop 2 measures from any sad movie (from the DVD of course). Add some primo hi-hat and snare. A Dre kick. And boom you have a single for our Hot97 equivalent.

Lately we've been catchin' up with that TR-808...Nord Lead are surfacing. Some people even claim to do West Coast music around here. Monkeying gang signs and crip walks. TOO PATHETIC. But anyway...don't let me find some jpg's or this thread will go bananas.

PS : don't let the "foreign" part fool you tho'...a lot of americans are making money in France right now. Selling 16 bars here and there. Beats too. Alch just sold one for a major LP. Myself, my company is a joint venture with EMI. I'm also doing consulting jobs for Universal Music Group. The volume of sales have drastically decreased, but we're still doing it big (knowing that you have to divide all the numbers you are used to by 10...example, when you get 10g's for a beat in US, you'll get 1 thousand here...or when you sell 100.000 in US, you would sell 10.000 here).

• Me and Joey Star had some drinks at les bains back in '98. Couldn't understand a word that fool was saying. And my French is pretty good.

• who later became...

RPM/Runaways were British (from Brighton)..."sortie des ombres" does feature a french MC though.....

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    ... because myself being french, i don't like it. I'ven never really listened to french rap except for IAM in the 90's coz they was really doin it. Besides that, i may like 5 rapper in my country and that's about it. The rest is boring for me. I raised myself with PETE ROCK and CL Smooth, De La Soul, Erik B & Rakim, Run DMC, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, DJ Cash Money, The Jaz, Krs One[/b] ... When you start with that, you can't really like anything else but US hip-hop.

We (they!)[/b] are still stuck on piano/violin ?? la mobb deep but 1996!!! That's a french pattern to loop 2 measures from any sad movie (from the DVD of course). Add some primo hi-hat and snare. A Dre kick. And boom you have a single for our Hot97 equivalent.

So true!!!

Aahhh!!!!

• NTM..!!!! Dude dude dude. Respect.

One of the first French groups I heard was NTM.
    And Assassin (who was produced by an Irish guy, Doctor L), IAM, Cutee B, Dee Nasty, Kool Shen, Rockin Squat, Akhenation, loads more.
    Sadly it's been harder to keep up with it these days. It's just too freakin huge a scene. The magazines are high quality & their are quite a few of them.
    The Bunzen record was the best thing I've heard recently.

I loved this album, but it got ganked a few years ago..

Someone brought a stack of this DVD magazine back early this year. http://www.digitalhip-hop.com/
    Some good stuff on there for sure.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Besides that, i may like 5 rapper in my country and that's about it. The rest is boring for me. I raised myself with KRSONE when i was 12/13 and i stayed stuck on all those Organized, Main Source, PR&CL, EPMD shit... We are good for melodies but god we sucks with drums. Mostly because there's not a lot of groovy folks around. There's a lot of good melody makers tho'. But since Serge died, there's not much goin' on. We learned how to do rap so we can copy trends and claim it our own. For example, we are still stuck on piano/violin ?? la mobb deep but 1996!!! That's a french pattern to loop 2 measures from any sad movie (from the DVD of course).[/b] Add some primo hi-hat and snare. A Dre kick. And boom you have a single for our Hot97 equivalent.
    Lately we've been catchin' up with that TR-808...Nord Lead are surfacing. Some people even claim to do West Coast music around here. Monkeying gang signs and crip walks. TOO PATHETIC. But anyway...don't let me find some jpg's or this thread will go bananas.

That's probably the biggest issue I have w/ Gallic hip-hop - a lot of the beats are full of moody and dark stabs trying to replicate vintage Mobb Deep... Sorta corny and cheesy singing choruses also are Combine that w/ some unfunky drum patterns and it gets to be a drone after a while...

I did like Sages poetes de la rue though...

Hehe...i produced like 5 beats on "Jusqu'a l'Amour" from Sages Poetes De La Rue.

NTM was my first beat placement in 1997 and i became the in-house producer afterward.

And see, that mobb deep shys is the problem...lol.

It's not a french problem...It's a fuckin Worldwide problem!!! Europeans are trying to defend an art that never existed. They claim Hip-Hop have to be political to exist. I say ok, but don't forget to have fun too, because i don't wanna end up as a fustrated mofocker. Don't forget that looping breaks was fun first...and don't forget the Park Jam. Don't forget it's also about getting girls. But these mofockers, they always come back on some dramatic shit, like France is like living in Pakistan. Mofocker go in Pakistan and you'll see the difference, you are NOT allowed to rap over there.

And musically speaking, hip-hop really blew when the first Mobb LP hit the shelves, when Wu was the shit, when X-Zibit was a living god after Paparazzi. And these same mofockers took it for granted that looping some sad music and saying "my mom had a rough life, i want it all now" is enough. Well, my mom had a rough life too, and i still have to work to get what i want. And they also forget that any OST we are raping are at least "valuable pieces" to listen to. In France the game is different : the song they sample is horrible and the result is even more horrible.

We as europeans had to reproduce to learn how to produce. It's not coming from the heart. It's something that we learned. It wasn't given to us as a gift even. We stole it and made it our property. Now we call it French Rap like it's different from other raps. Either you rap, or you don't....but here, we french-rap. That's different...lol. And what about the Drums. It's all about the Drums. And we suxxx. Big time. So much that i get jobs as a beat replacer.lol.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    For that dude above that asked me which tracks i've produced from that IV My People LP, i would tell you ALL of them! Touche Pas A Ma Musique, that's my beat too right here. Accordion in the hook courtesy of Serge Lama... ;-)
    Qui Veut La Peau D'Mon Crew...That's me too bro'.

Mad props i love that hook extremely tight

Some people even claim to do West Coast music around here. Monkeying gang signs and crip walks. TOO PATHETIC. But anyway...don't let me find some jpg's or this thread will go bananas.

That must be sadly hilarious "west siaide ouais!" but the state of hiphop in france is a shame with these sky fake rappers being the equivalent of mainstrem rap here. And how about those young cats that had that huge hit. Reminiscent of kriss croos (rnb mix with rap guys)

There's a lot of good melody makers tho'. But since Serge died, there's not much goin' on. We learned how to do rap so we can copy trends and claim it our own. For example, we are still stuck on piano/violin ?? la mobb deep but 1996!!! That's a french pattern to loop 2 measures from any sad movie (from the DVD of course). Add some primo hi-hat and snare. A Dre kick. And boom you have a single for our Hot97 equivalent.

All you say is true. I can understand you being annoyed with it (saturated) but for me it was a welcome change and when they go super melodic and not dark grimey (like the last track on metequemat) then i find it a style of their own. The sampling base is great for yall for dark shit (leo ferre for example) i feel what youmean though. But i see it as a balance i think we would like a lil more melody in NA after all this crunked out stuff. I'm sure this also has to do with the barrage of groups (ff copiers) that come out with simple beats.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hey PC good idea with a thread on french hiphop on friday, I'd love some schooling! I don't know too many groups/artists. My girlfriend likes french hiphop, but the records are not that easy to find here. Went to see OFX with her one time, they were good. Anyway, let's save the energy for the real thread. More euro hiphop on this board, yay!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    They claim Hip-Hop have to be political to exist. I say ok, but don't forget to have fun too, because i don't wanna end up as a fustrated mofocker. Don't forget that looping breaks was fun first...and don't forget the Park Jam. Don't forget it's also about getting girls. But these mofockers, they always come back on some dramatic shit.
    And musically speaking, hip-hop really blew when the first Mobb LP hit the shelves, when Wu was the shit, when X-Zibit was a living god after Paparazzi. And these same mofockers took it for granted that looping some sad music and saying "my mom had a rough life, i want it all now" is enough.

Very true, (i love it cause i stopped checking the scene in 2000 it must be flooded now)
    But i mean the alterantives i'm seing arent that sweet Dr.Frankenstein and that heros masque Oxmo shit are different but are they good?
    And i dont think we want a return to the menelik era of funk-rap!
    But yeah i mean people like doc gyneco and others were having fun but still had skills. I guess the funk is missing

We stole it and made it our property. Now we call it French Rap like it's different from other raps. Either you rap, or you don't....but here, we french-rap. That's different...lol. And what about the Drums. It's all about the Drums. And we suxxx. Big time. So much that i get jobs as a beat replacer.lol.

I feel what you're sayin i can remember the beats on sous les bombes it was a well executed study of the early 90's sound. But you know what i think the copyin and calling it our own has more to do with keeping the culture pure "they were keeping it mad political in the veins of maintainnig a KRS attitude to it and well it was "protecting" the culture at least (less bling for awhile) and i mean these cats where using hiphop in the essential sense of it. Social raps to vent anti-gov sentiments. Yeah i guess it is time to get more creative. But you see the new base is all sale or same mobb style. where's the creativity? (similar problem here although lib,jarel and others are bringin fresh stuff in)
    Interesting development but youre arguments about reproducing a culture are well placed when one looks at the evolution of the genre it seems to have hit a ceiling in France

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Anyway, let's save the energy for the real thread. More euro hiphop on this board, yay!

d'accord!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Me and Joey Star had some drinks at les bains back in '98. Couldn't understand a word that fool was saying. And my French is pretty good.

Youeurgh!bjour laaa euhhh! Hilarious but great voice the french ODB (crazy stories)

If you wanna laugh hit up limewire or something and write joey starr there's a french comedy thing that immitates his voice. Priceless!

• geegee 2 Posts
    la cedille. ?

my girls got tickets to see these in uk in a couple weeks .

anyone know / have info.

cheeers

• rorororo 22 Posts

roro, posts:3, do you play bongo?

h??h?? ,i don't, but yes it's me :-) :-)

yea, enough talking...let's get down with the real shyt : posting MP3s.

i'm not gonna cater for any roots of french hip-hop or whatsoever, just random hard-to-find tracks i did between 1999 and 2003 for groups or solo acts i produced.

close your eardrums of you don't like or can't stand french, it's all french people rappin or singin on it. Or use a protools plugin to translate french into english...for the little story, the NTM beat i posted is courtesy of LG experience. They used to work with LG a lot. And i scratched on this track. It was my first job for NTM and shit popped on from there. I'll post more later...

01-madizm-introglycerine.mp3

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28320E9UAI7JN11GRPYLERX1I5

02-ntm-odeurs_de_soufre.mp3

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31CN3INPMZ9NV1B9LWMSRPR9UZ

03-salif-jactez.mp3

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0K3Q5A99954F41JHTC4FM87UV1

04-serum_ft_dadoo-juste_du_son.mp3

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QMA9VEES9Y7B346UBI8ZZ4W19

05-salif_ft_akhenaton-on_veut_tout.mp3

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=34G82A61E8CFR03REYLOTE0E9R

06-serum-mirsa.mp3

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QKUIPWQYPQAT27YDBW082OCLY

07-sages_poetes_ft_salif_n_shen-thugs.mp3

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZE7NEI1IICW91MR84EPEUYJJ8

09-salif-dur_d'y_croire.mp3

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MUZSR40222A30IPKLI3R6U8F3

11-madizm-protect_you.mp3

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0FQDQWUUR2F8J3EEG8JV08N7PP

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Ou sont les 08, 10, 12...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    11- Cleo Laine?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    jactez j'men bas les couilles (been a while)
    thx for this

I think so...the yellow cover.

and as far the "missing tracks", it's just me being lazy...i'll post up more later.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Compilation:

Random singles:

B.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Random albums:

-

B.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Baptizm what a french connection

thx boys

By the way the touche pas a musique song i heard was the clash remix yet to hear the og you produced. hautbois in the hook ce n'est pas un acordeon. i be crazy

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Baptizm what a french connection

(...)

B.

ROFL!!!!!!

that's a nice dedication man...thx...this plus the billboard results made my day!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    the billboard results

Which project...?

Disiz La Peste (realized and produced) and Ze Peque??o (same)...best radio rotation for disiz 12" and Ze Peque??o 12". Can't wait February for the LP to be launched...

I'm also on Lino (Arsenik), the next Fonky Family, and some other obscure stuffs...lol.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Wow!

You're
    You're makin money!
    Congrats.

Bapt