How much can somebody REALLY talk about records

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
With the next record day approaching, I'm wondering this.Soulstrut swings wildly back and forth between RR and NRR, depending on the day. And I'm all for some record talk, as that's the basis of Soulstrut.But how much can some of you guys _really_ talk about records?There's only so many things you can talk about. Sometimes I feel like a few of you guys push so hard for record talk, like it's going to turn into sports talk radio or something. Have you guys ever paid attention to who calls into those shows? Is that who you _really_ want to be?Record collecting is more about doing and listening. I just don't see how anybody could carry on with an entire message board all about record minutiae all the time. It just doesn't seem healthy.If anything, a few of you folks have really scared me away from record collecting. I have records, yes, but the obsession level from a few of you is frightening.Not trying to be insulting, but really, what's the limit here?I agree Soulstrut can get overwhelmed with NRR posts from time to time, but where is the happy medium? Shouldn't record collecting be more about being out collecting rather than discussing what brand of underwear Joe Zawinul wore before during his a concert in February 1972, or stalking down elderly band members to rape them of their memories?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Alot. Shut up.

• Alot. Shut up.

I second that emotion

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    what brand of underwear Joe Zawinul wore before during his a concert in February 1972

Argyle Speedos. Nice and tight, so he could feel the ring modulator.

• Memories can be raped?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    discussing what brand of underwear Joe Zawinul wore before during his a concert in February 1972, or stalking down elderly band members to rape them of their memories?
    this is the text version of an alien vagina.

• Memories can be raped?

I was referring to the practice of trying to pry away some of these senior citizens records, some of their last remaining MEMORIES of their heyday.

This is kinda like arguing sanity with an extremely conservative churchgoer.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Shouldn't record collecting be more about being out collecting rather than discussing what brand of underwear Joe Zawinul wore before during his a concert in February 1972, or stalking down elderly band members to rape them of their memories?

Legend has it he wore his lucky green jockeys with the yellow waistband and piping. I belive he wore the same pair for the entire tour and travelled in a separate bus from the rest of the band, unless someone has other information.

Aside from nerds on this board, who else am I am going talk record shit with? Where else do you get earnest conversations about run out grooves on obscure NY disco 12s at 3am? But I like the NRR stuff too. Point is the even the geekiest posts on here usually have a fair degree of wit and interest, RR or otherwise. More RR posts are a good thing.

• Memories can be raped?

I was referring to the practice of trying to pry away some of these senior citizens records, some of their last remaining MEMORIES of their heyday.

This is kinda like arguing sanity with an extremely conservative churchgoer.

I thought that was a Freudian slip of the typewriter, like you're into skull fucking or some sick shit. :O

• I'm Portagee, TEST ME!

Seriously, this is primarily a music board. So I talk music. I talk records. I may not know everything (and none of us do) but if I have something to add, I'll go for it.

Yet the NRR posts are great too, because there IS more to life than just records and music. If anything, it allows people here to break out of their shell a bit, let loose, and just talk shit.

But if one wants to talk records, I'm here. Jessica Alba? Hopefully I'm somewhere else having a by-myself meeting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    With the next record day approaching, I'm wondering this.

Soulstrut swings wildly back and forth between RR and NRR, depending on the day. And I'm all for some record talk, as that's the basis of Soulstrut.

But how much can some of you guys _really_ talk about records?

There's only so many things you can talk about. Sometimes I feel like a few of you guys push so hard for record talk, like it's going to turn into sports talk radio or something. Have you guys ever paid attention to who calls into those shows? Is that who you _really_ want to be?

Record collecting is more about doing and listening. I just don't see how anybody could carry on with an entire message board all about record minutiae all the time. It just doesn't seem healthy.

If anything, a few of you folks have really scared me away from record collecting. I have records, yes, but the obsession level from a few of you is frightening.

Not trying to be insulting, but really, what's the limit here?
    I agree Soulstrut can get overwhelmed with NRR posts from time to time, but where is the happy medium? Shouldn't record collecting be more about being out collecting rather than discussing what brand of underwear Joe Zawinul wore before during his a concert in February 1972, or stalking down elderly band members to rape them of their memories?

Talking about records just encourages all the Pricecheckers and Whatdidhesamplers.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    There's only so many things you can talk about. Sometimes I feel like a few of you guys push so hard for record talk, like it's going to turn into sports talk radio or something. Have you guys ever paid attention to who calls into those shows? Is that who you _really_ want to be?

I second that emotion

• I'm Portagee, TEST ME!

Seriously, this is primarily a music board. So I talk music. I talk records. I may not know everything (and none of us do) but if I have something to add, I'll go for it.

Yet the NRR posts are great too, because there IS more to life than just records and music. If anything, it allows people here to break out of their shell a bit, let loose, and just talk shit.

But if one wants to talk records, I'm here. Jessica Alba? Hopefully I'm somewhere else having a by-mself meeting.

Talking about records is fine. Making sure the board doesn't go completely NRR is fine. But there are a limited amount of things you can talk about. And really, if there was an archive of RR posts, 85% of the RR posts wouldn't even get posted. I can recount forwards and backwards when I need a new needle, how to fix a warped record, who spends the most bread on ebay record auctions (and i don't even buy/sell records on ebay), and which country NOT to sell records to on ebay.

Sometimes you just can't force "nature".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm Portagee, TEST ME!

But if one wants to talk records, I'm here. Jessica Alba? Hopefully I'm somewhere else having a by-mself meeting.

Talking about records is fine. Making sure the board doesn't go completely NRR is fine. But there are a limited amount of things you can talk about. And really, if there was an archive of RR posts, 85% of the RR posts wouldn't even get posted. I can recount forwards and backwards when I need a new needle, how to fix a warped record, who spends the most bread on ebay record auctions (and i don't even buy/sell records on ebay), and which country NOT to sell records to on ebay.

GET A JOB!

• I'm Portagee, TEST ME!

You apparently don't have many records or much knowledge about them, so it's not surprising that you see a finite limit to the amount one can talk about them. I can't really recall you posting much about records at all.

This site is a great resource and full of really knowledgeable folks. Music all day. That is what's up, if you don't take to it then perhaps you have the wrong scene. The NRR talk is cool and all but UNLIKE SOME FOLKS I can sit around all day and do that with my *non-soulstrut* friends.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Well, Graf - you are certainly living proof of how LITLLE someone can talk about records on a record collecting forum. I think I saw the first music-related post from you I can EVER remember seeing, just the other day. Are you really so scurred that on "record day" you won't be able to post links to Weekly World News articles? You'll make it through, don't worry.

I'm more concerned with how many people obviously think "Record Day" is going to actually be "MP3 Day."

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Music all day. That is what's up, if you don't take to it then perhaps you have the wrong scene.

• Talking about records is fine. Making sure the board doesn't go completely NRR is fine. But there are a limited amount of things you can talk about. And really, if there was an archive of RR posts, 85% of the RR posts wouldn't even get posted. I can recount forwards and backwards when I need a new needle, how to fix a warped record, who spends the most bread on ebay record auctions (and i don't even buy/sell records on ebay), and which country NOT to sell records to on ebay.

Maybe the boards need rearranging. Maybe it needs an updated FAQ. It's definitely not for me to say, or anyone but Raj. We as members of this board have to respect that. He can easily take down the boards and run it solely for profit.

Record talk is cool, but I like the book recommendations, I enjoy getting into politics, finding the odd news story of the day. I frequent the board at SteveHoffman.TV, and this is a place full of music junkies like me, like you, like many of us. It not only has a section for music, but for audio equipment, videos, and a nice "off-topic" section. That's fairly common on a lot of boards, and the length of a discussion depends if anyone wants to read them.

If an archive is needed, request one.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I'm more concerned with how many people obviously think "Record Day" is going to actually be "MP3 Day."

True dat, i am working on a couple of posts. Hopefully if everyone comes through with great topics shit will be smooth. I use mp3's to convey what iam sayin or share some hard to obtain stuff. Although some songs might come up i dont think this friday will be album mp3 day. The record day i witnessed started with a couple album uploads and then the infamous thread that took it to the

we shall see

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I???m not much for talking about Joe Zawinul???s underwear and that kind of thing. But I really like stories about ???first time I heard this song??? and ???I love the way the drums come in over here?????? and ???when I feel like giving up, this song turns me around??? ??? that is both good music and people talk that passes knowledge of many kinds.

Saying how much can we talk about music/records is kind of like saying how much can we talk about history?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Saying how much can we talk about music/records is kind of like saying how much can we talk about history?

• You apparently don't have many records or much knowledge about them, so it's not surprising that you see a finite limit to the amount one can talk about them. I can't really recall you posting much about records at all.

I've got a couple thousand, which is "enough" to me.

I don't really post about them because I don't think I need to.

I actually listen to them, but that's what I do: listen to music. I can get most background info I need off Allmusic if I think I'm missing something. And I do reference Soulstrut from time to time, whether people believe that or not.

That's why I suggested a soulstrut wiki, to catalog all the knowledge dropped instead of losing it everytime something happens to the board, or having to wade through 20 comments to find one that actually answers the questions.

This site is a great resource and full of really knowledgeable folks. Music all day. That is what's up, if you don't take to it then perhaps you have the wrong scene. The NRR talk is cool and all but UNLIKE SOME FOLKS I can sit around all day and do that with my *non-soulstrut* friends.

True. Music is fine. There are lots of knowledgeable folks and that's good. And I'm actually all for record day. I don't think it's inappropriate to want a day devoted entirely to records on a record collection forum. My post actually just happens to coincide with that, it wasn't aimed at it.

I enjoy some of the music posts. I've got to say that I probably enjoy some of the mp3 posts more, because I get to hear what people think is good. I don't go nuts downloading them all, though. But that's why I'm here: I have gotten put up on some good stuff, so it's not that I don't "take to it". I don't post much about it though, for reasons I've already described. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. However, if you're waiting to hear about my latest cross country trip to raid grandma's garage, you'll probably be disappointed.

This post was just to get an opinion, because there seems to be a small faction who thinks the board should be all NRR.

There also seems to be a large group of people who enjoy a happy medium. You can probably also see that I've really started enjoying italics.

And in the case of talking about NRR stuff to non-soulstrut people, that's true.

BUT where else can I talk about alien vaginas, et al? I have no hcrink, 'stein, (etc) in my real life. I do have ample opportunity to talk about Barney and Dora the Explorer, though.

Perhaps that's the separation gap. People assume that I'm somehow not interested in music at all - if I wasn't, why do would I be here in the first place? Because of the high female to male ratio? In actuality I'm a casual music fan, and sometimes I don't understand the hardcore music obsession that some people have.

So why do I post here so often? I enjoy the conversation and debates. Even though I don't agree with everything, I like reading opinions on all sorts of different topics with people that have opinions that are near and far from my own.

In the midst of that, I pick up music info along the way.

So if you really wanted to eliminate me you'd just eliminate that.

Oh, and yeah, I'm on here so much because I need a job.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I do have ample opportunity to talk about Barney and Dora the Explorer, though.

I feel you on Barney, it must suck in english, imagine that show in spanish.
    Now Bob The Builder, that's my man.

• With the next record day approaching, I'm wondering this.

Soulstrut swings wildly back and forth between RR and NRR, depending on the day. And I'm all for some record talk, as that's the basis of Soulstrut.

But how much can some of you guys _really_ talk about records?

Did your computer break down the last time we tried this? Or did you actually read the Record Day posts? Soul Strut was just as irreverent as ever - only diff was, it was confined to records (WHICH IS WHY SS WAS FORMED IN THE FIRST PLACE, I believe). And there are several different places you can take it, too - it's not just the usual dorky pricecheck-and-breakbeat posts...hell, if we can have a Pap day...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I've got a couple thousand, which is "enough" to me.

How is it that you feel you dont need any more music? If this is really the case I have no idea why you would come to this board.

We are hardcore music nerds, we like music related conversation because we are a little obsessed actually. Many of us have been for years. Talking about other shit is always well and good, but how hard is it really to limit your threads to music related shit? If it were up to me, we'd have a record day at least once a week.

• How is it that you feel you dont need any more music? If this is really the case I have no idea why you would come to this board.

It's not that I feel I don't need any more music. My point was more that I don't feel that I need to go on a years-long vinyl purchasing binge to feel like I'm really "into" music. Of course, if I see something I find interesting, I'll still pick it up.

• Music all day. That is what's up

• Music all day. That is what's up

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

That's why I suggested a soulstrut wiki, to catalog all the knowledge dropped instead of losing it everytime something happens to the board, or having to wade through 20 comments to find one that actually answers the questions.
    That's a really good idea, just for the sake of it.

• I can't talk about music for very long but fuck it. To me coming on this site is to just discuss anything. If I know something (rarely) I put my 2 cents in if not oh well. I don't get why people are getting so angry on this post. Reading Grafs posts seemed calm and not trying to pick a fight but I guess it was too much for THE REAL HEADZ.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I'll co-sign what Grafwritah said.

And so I'll add just this - I've been doing this long enough that outside of listening to the music, collecting records is no longer an identity or ego thing - but it is a community and friend thing.

I like almost all the posts on SS - RR or NRR. Well ... juss' about!