simpsons or family guy?

2»

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    exactly, it's in poor taste but you can't help but laugh, especially all the jokes w/ racial undertones.

Angus Griffin: So, we're all clear on the rules then. No Jews and no blacks.

Scottish men: Aye.

You're basically laughing at the absurdity of it all, that they have the audacity to even put it on network tv. The sight gags and pop cultural references do get tiring (a team tonight was zzzzz), but Brian & Stewie's witty banter steals the show. Also, the show appeals to dedicated fans w/ obscure references to past episodes, nerds live for things like that.

In the end, it's just mindless entertainment, a cartoon at that. Perspective folks!

noz - a lot of what you said could apply to shows you like, such as wondershowzen.........but I digress.

different strokes for different folks.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    different strokes for different folks.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    also, not sure if anyone noticed, but michael rappaport's new sitcom "The War At Home" borrows heavily from Family Guy's flashback cut scene style.

• I like Family Guy a lot, but it's no Simpsons (by a long shot)...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I like Family Guy a lot, but it's no Simpsons (by a long shot)...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Family guy is so much better than the simpsons these days. I used to love the simpsons but i really stopped laughin as much with the later series' where as family guy has me in stitches from start to finish. I used to agree with the fg hatters & argue with a friend that the simpsons is better.....i was wrong. If you look at what both shows are doing at the moment fg wins hands down! I think peeps just have a problem watchin a show with a talking dog & talking baby in it.

• i loved the simpsons when it came out when i was in middle school but i like family guy now, and i really don't even watch the simpsons now

i know its not as "intellegent" as family guy but i love this show the best...

• I like the Simpsons better but I haven't watched an episode in maybe 3 years. I agree with what people have been saying about the Family Guy, I never really liked it myself, but I guess I'm not around anyone who really watches it so I don't really notice this phenomenon as much. But has anybody noticed that Family Guy sometimes recycles references that were already used in the Simpsons? I could've sworn that Family Guy had a visual reference to these guys years after the Simpsons had already made the same joke:

• But has anybody noticed that Family Guy sometimes recycles references that were already used in the Simpsons? I could've sworn that Family Guy had a visual reference to these guys years after the Simpsons had already made the same joke:

the guys from south park have talked about this a few times, they will come up with an idea for a show and another writer tells them the simpons already did it, its kinda hard considering how long the simpsons have been around...

south park actually had a show called "the simpsons did it..."

• based on the hype soulstrutters are giving to family guy i will watch it for the first time next time it comes on.

obviously i think the simpsons blows any show ever made away. the animation for family guy looks really half ass.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    But has anybody noticed that Family Guy sometimes recycles references that were already used in the Simpsons? I could've sworn that Family Guy had a visual reference to these guys years after the Simpsons had already made the same joke:

the guys from south park have talked about this a few times, they will come up with an idea for a show and another writer tells them the simpons already did it, its kinda hard considering how long the simpsons have been around...

south park actually had a show called "the simpsons did it..."

Another thing I noticed is how much the "Family Guy" has slipped into everyday lexicon. It's now "cool" to name-drop all sorts of relatively obscure references to things like the Thundercats or Optimus Prime. While there was always a sect of nerds talking about that chick from Thundercats or the gay subtext to Hee-Man, it's very common, and still unfunny, nowadays to talk about the wacky stuff that "Family Guy" references. I guess this is a good way to gage when something officially hits Pop Culture Superstardom, from the Honeymooners to Bill Cosby to the Simpsons to Chris Rock to South Park, etc. ...

The Simpsons is unbearable these days. It's like there trying too hard; it used to be so easy and pitch perfect before.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    man you guys are slagging family guy for certain segments as negatives, how about what it has added to the cartoon landscape on a mainstream tip? the race humour in it is hilarious and it can get away w/ a lot more political incorrectness...just cause i think the simpsons are just way too moral. also dont tell me the writing in family guy is garbage, some of the funniest sheit they do is their commentary on the generic way normal people talk and you forget that its a cartoon. like just showing sheit that regular humans do that so dead on, its only funny because the medium is a cartoon. anyhow i agree that the current season is an overdose of pop culture references from the 80s, but they do need to capitalize on the lowest common denominator. it ain't hard to be a great show with brilliant writing deserved of emmy awards, fact is, you're bound to get cancelled (refer to arrested development), you have to add that sill sheit to survive. and their references are far from only the 80s, there's tons of stuff from the elizabethan times and 1940s and sheit.

and dont tell me that simpsons haven't been affected by certain developments in family guy. after the first season of family guy, you could watch simpsons do some over top family guy sheit with references, and hardcore simpson fans would know that if you watched the show, like the pilsbury dough boy time. anyhow like i said, simpsons is king, but it's past its prime. it comes down to the writers. simpsons seasons 3-7 was phucking incredible. by like 9th season its like they hired pot heads and acid freaks, they would have plots that had no continuation whatsoever which is why to this day if you ask someone their favorite simpsons episode, it will most of the time fall between 3-7. Matt Groening is a phucking genius, i was into his sheit since my dad showed me his "Work Is Hell" series with the rabbits, like 5 years before the simpsons even existed, but that show has lost it.

I also think South Park is mad underated, it does a better take on pop culture, its such an intelligent medium because of the ease of animation, they can comment on events that occurred one week ago. I remember they did an episode on that zhivaigo sp? case, psp, and the movie constantine, all in one episode that overlapped events in a span of like 3 weeks.

• personally i like family guy better..but simpsons is old school...been around forever

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    but it does have plenty of points where the joke just misses and/or carries on for wayyyy too long.

yup and that the jokes/gags have been done to death but better.

people who i usually see eye to eye with on shows/movies love this program, so i have tried and tried, but still find it horrible. even the voices are unbearable.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i can't understand why someone would call family guy a disposable or unintelligent cartoon. their humor, like the simpsons, runs from infantile to genius. the recurring joke of stewie despising and trying to kill his mother is brilliant and original and, for the most part, subtle. all of the characters are consistently funny

stewie infiltrating the cheerleading squad = good
    stewie planning world domination = good
    brian living with in his gay cousin's apartment while trying to make it in hollywood = good
    all of chris' "I'M SO AWKWARD" moments = good
    everyone hating meg = ok*
    = good

*what do the writers of simpsons and family guy have against their sisters. the daughters in these shows get no r-e-s-p-e-c-t

family guy has been picking up the simpsons slack for years. the last simpsons episode i thoroughly enjoyed was 5+ years ago when they went on a trip to hong kong or japan and participated in a game show

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i think family guy made it official with the best opening in cartoon history last week...it had Stewie riding his powercycles from first person point of view, and he rides his bike into the scene of the shining, to the first version of the video game Doom with the crazy pixelation, to a scene from the Sound of Music where he runs over Julie Andrews, to the best part...he's headed towards his garage, when Homer is in front of him freaking out and running towards the door (just like in the opening of the simpsons when Marge is chasing Homer in her car as she comes home) and STEWIE PHUCKING RUNS HOMER SIMPSON OVER. Peter Griffin opens the door, notices Homer on the floor and goes "Who the hell is that guy?"

and you forgot to mention osama's outtakes - this had me laughing my ass off

^wasn't that awesome!? that's what im talking about, making Osama seem like some dude recording a home video or something...also if you watch it with Seinfeld in mind, u may lose your marbles.

ps: i hardly think that a show that made fun of Osama Bin Laden smuggling explosives through an airplane customs xray machine PRIOR[/b] to 9-11 can be that stupid and uninformed.

ps2: the Ashlee Simpson lip synch callback on yesterday's episode was outrageous.

the background of this joke is when The Simpsons first took a stab at Family Guy about 3 years ago in a Halloween episode, where Homer was making clones of himself, and when you looked in the background, there was Peter Griffin.

haha. just saw that one a few nights ago.

Oh shit, what simpsons episode is this? I have to see this shit!
    Is it on any of the Simpsons DVDs that are out?

here's the clip:
    http://familyguy.armygrade.com/media/Video/Simpsons_-_Clone.mpg