Finding Vs. Paying

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
The old school Psych guys argue about this all the time and I was wondering what the take was on it here.....To some, when they "find" a record that means that they paid less than $10 bucks for it....when some guys say they "found" an LP at a Show or Shop, but it cost them the going price of the LP, some consider that "paying" and not "finding"....any comments??Rich

Comments

• IF the person you got it from is putting in work to bring you rare/good titles, then you are paying. The work was done for you, you're not finding a damn thing!

• IF the person you got it from is putting in work to bring you rare/good titles, then you are paying. The work was done for you, you're not finding a damn thing!

Devil's advocate: what if the person you buy from does the work by cleaning out dead people's attics and thrift stores but charges 5 bucks a pop no matter what?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Devil's advocate: what if the person you buy from does the work by cleaning out dead people's attics and thrift stores but charges 5 bucks a pop no matter what?

Then you are Alice, and you are living in Wonderland.

• Devil's advocate: what if the person you buy from does the work by cleaning out dead people's attics and thrift stores but charges 5 bucks a pop no matter what?

To take the metaphor further, did Alice "find" herslef in Wonderland or "pay" to get there?

• The old school Psych guys argue about this all the time and I was wondering what the take was on it here.....To some, when they "find" a record that means that they paid less than $10 bucks for it....when some guys say they "found" an LP at a Show or Shop, but it cost them the going price of the LP, some consider that "paying" and not "finding"....any comments??

Rich

are you serious? Dude, finding is like when my friend was walking down the street and found a bunch of records next to the trash and brought them home to give to me. Paying is paying, no matter how much it cost. And since you are usually looking for stuff even when paying, it's all finding.

Can someone make time go faster so record day comes sooner?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I beg to differ, I know manny of us deal with such lowlifes, I mean excellent people.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

are you serious? Dude, finding is like when my friend was walking down the street and found a bunch of records next to the trash and brought them home to give to me. Paying is paying, no matter how much it cost. And since you are usually looking for stuff even when paying, it's all finding.

Can someone make time go faster so record day comes sooner?
    Sorry dude, I'm new here and I didn't realize that all those records listed in the "Weekend Finds" threads were literally found in the trash.....my bad.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    And just so I don't make a further fool of myself by posting ridiculously boring crap, can someone explain what Record Day is??

Rich

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Finding = Less than Market Value Deals for good records

Paying = Paying

Record day= Talking about records and the music on them

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    but do I "find" the milk at the supermarket if I know exactly where it is?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I beg to differ, I know manny of us deal with such lowlifes, I mean excellent people.

: you might not be Alice, but then you are living in Wonderland too.
    Worst part is when you try to dress and even talk like THEM to get a better deal. I'm ashamed of myself.

• but do I "find" the milk at the supermarket if I know exactly where it is?

take that shit to semantics.com!

• i think "find" is used like an archeologist would use the term...digging shit up and finding things you didnt think were there. (dollar bins,garage sales, etc etc)...or also getting a record for mad cheap aka a deal.

paying to me would be just dropping whatever amount to get the record, because you just want it, and dont wanna wait around in dollar bins hoping it pops up..

and i think everyone here gets a certain mad scientist smile on your face when you find a record that is rare or something you have been looking for, in a dollar bin somewhere.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    but what if a record was always there, hidden in a distance fleamarket, just waiting for you? What if the record finds you? What if your whole life til that very moment was just a plot to get there?

• Worst part is when you try to dress and even talk like THEM to get a better deal. I'm ashamed of myself.

Glad I'm not the only one.

• Options
    Finding = Less than Market Value Deals for good records

Paying = Paying

Record day= Talking about records and the music on them

I agree with Nate here.

What if you steal the records (such as Artifactors Goodwill booty), are they finds then?

K.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

"We call that evidence where I come from, baby."[/b]

• Can someone make time go faster so record day comes sooner?

I'm working on it.

• in my book i consider it to be a find if i know the record is worth 3 times what i payed for it. example: if i buy a record for $100 and i know it's worth $300 i still consider it to be a FIND. based on ancient jewish business practices. peace, stein. . .