BROADCAST .. thoughts? (and appreciation)

slavinslavin 577 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
they made a stop in philadelphia last night on their US tour. excellent show. some say they "fell off" because they went for a more 'minimal' sounding lp this time around .. whatever, i think it's one of their strongest releases to date.

i know there's gotta be a few other broadcast fans on here, right? (and of course a couple handfuls of hatters, too) ..

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Yes. I'm definately feeling their latest album

one of the better releases lately in my opinion

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I love their new album, been listening to it a lot the last couple of weeks. My only complaint is, I wish it were a little bit longer.

• just listened to "work and non work" a couple days ago. hella late-night vibes. i like everything they've done so far, although i haven't heard this newest one yet. i think of them as being halfway between portishead and stereolab.

• just listened to "work and non work" a couple days ago. hella late-night vibes. i like everything they've done so far, although i haven't heard this newest one yet. i think of them as being halfway between portishead and stereolab.

I saw them support Stereolab about 8/9 years ago. Enjoyed the gig and the vibe... very "United States of America".

I picked up a 7 and 12 around the same time which were both pretty good and still get reasonably regular rotations.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah man! i made a post about them a few weeks ago... saw them for the work/nonwork tour, and again two weeks ago in seattle. they were great. her voice is top notch for sure. my girlfriend brought home tickets as a gift, so it just goes to show what a fucking awesome girlfriend i have. i'm drunk.

• Yeah Broadcast are well nice.
    Anyone remember this album that came out the same time as the first Broacast album, 'Work & Not Work'?
    If not, you might like.

• ootoot 38 Posts
    so yo. i caught broadcast here in s.f. and i was super psyched to see them. but man, i thought their live show was super weak. maybe they're just not that talented without all the studio effects blasting? i dont know...but she sounded horrible, and then they'd segue into these boring-ass noise solos and shit like it was 1991 or something.

it wasn't _horrible_ or anything. but i doubt i'll check them again live. here's hoping they were just tired or some shit.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Work and Non work is a great album. Ha ha sound has some cuts on it too. This new LP is pretty decent, but they sounded much fuller before. This ones definitely more electro. Alpha's alright, but the male singer is horrible.

- spidey

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i always thought their older material was far too imitative...

i peeped the new one as it seems to be a near unamnimous good record from everyone i talk too...

i like the production,i think there's alot of good ideas and it sounds great but i HATE the vibe of the record... shit is depressing with a capitol D.

personally i'd rather listen to Pram (there's a band i've never heard ANYBODY mention on the strut), they've got the same shtick but with a much lighter mood.

• Check out the song "Drums on Fire."

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Haven't heard 'Tender Buttons' yet, but I've listened to the previous albums a lot, especially 'HaHa Sound'.

• Haven't heard 'Tender Buttons' yet, but I've listened to the previous albums a lot, especially 'HaHa Sound'.

HaHa Sound blew me away when it originally came out. Drums on that album sound incredible. Tender Buttons is almost as good. Plus the mixes on their website rule.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like them.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

personally i'd rather listen to Pram (there's a band i've never heard ANYBODY mention on the strut), they've got the same shtick but with a much lighter mood.

Yeah Pram is a cool group, haven't listened to them for a minute.

• Saw them in DC last night - really put on a good show.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Anyone catch the "Papercuts" video??????? One of my favorite music videos

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    mayneholdup.

Caught them in NYC and in Philly this past week. First got hooked on the Haha Sound (since have bought entire catalog), and am feeling the Tender Buttons album.

Show is philly was a trip. Seeing that show at a church was kinda

Drums on "man is not a bird" from Haha Sound are

Broadcast for president.

Just sped over last night to see Broadcast from LAS VEGAS. Tickets SOLD OUT by the time I got there, but I ended up hustling 5 tickets last minute. This was at the Troubadour, which is one of my favorite venues. Small and intimate. The sound was incredible from many different angles. The performance was rather sleepy. They don't really put on a good show, but they play very well. The new drummer and guitarist were pretty decent. Except the older Drummer was more Breakface. I wanted to hear there cuts like "Dead the long year", "Violent playground", "Microtronics 5", and "Man is not a Bird." The LA crowd was really just a DEAD LA crowd. The kind that's too cute to dance. But the Music was overall great, and it was a great trip. Except Roscoes was closed by the time I got there. Damn you Roscoes.

- spidey

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just sped over last night to see Broadcast from LAS VEGAS. Tickets SOLD OUT by the time I got there, but I ended up hustling 5 tickets last minute. This was at the Troubadour, which is one of my favorite venues. Small and intimate. The sound was incredible from many different angles. The performance was rather sleepy. They don't really put on a good show, but they play very well. The new drummer and guitarist were pretty decent. Except the older Drummer was more Breakface. I wanted to hear there cuts like "Dead the long year", "Violent playground", "Microtronics 5", and "Man is not a Bird." The LA crowd was really just a DEAD LA crowd. The kind that's too cute to dance. But the Music was overall great, and it was a great trip. Except Roscoes was closed by the time I got there. Damn you Roscoes.

- spidey

Spidey,

do you know Alex Vaughan?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Show is philly was a trip. Seeing that show at a church was kinda

Drums on "man is not a bird" from Haha Sound are

All the drums on HaHa Sound were recorded in a church hall.

• I cordially invite the world to celebrate their entire catalog.

Drums on Fire, Come On Lets Go, Pendulum - to name but a few faves.

Spidey,

do you know Alex Vaughan?

If you mean Alex from Big B's. Yes.

- spidey