Good portable recorders?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
As nice as it would be to own one of these

I can't justify spending $400 on one. I'm not trying to go the dictaphone route and I won't be using this thing every day. Can anyone recommend something similar and less expensive?

holler

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    c'mon batches, it's been 13 whole minutes now.

• What do you want to use it for? (if you don't mind me asking)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I was going to document all my outdoor love making for my new blog.

• I was going to document all my outdoor love making for my new blog.
    In that case I'd recommend one of these...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    As nice as it would be to own one of these

I can't justify spending $400 on one. I'm not trying to go the dictaphone route and I won't be using this thing every day. Can anyone recommend something similar and less expensive?

anyone?

• Dude just get a used portable minidisc. Media is cheap, it will sound great and will be around $100 depending on model. The only downside is there's no drag and drop, you'll have to record to PC.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    There was this dude who had a recorder that was really small at a Special Ed signing and he said he got it at Circui City for $200.

• oosioosi 40 Posts
    i know zoom makes a small 2 track recorder for around 149 bucks dont know if it has usb or not check out there site....korg also makes a small recorder called the px4 i believe that might work..check both of there sites.

• HewHew 17 Posts
    these look pretty good...
    http://www.ikey-audio.com/
    http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey_main.htm
    looks like you can just plug it into a usb key for recording directly to wav/mp3

they come in at about $150

• Wow things are so advanced now.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMPS04

• Get a used Nomad Jukebox 3. Even better with the extra battery as the unit can hold two batteries at the same time for double the play/record time.

Mines about 4 years old now and still working fine. You can record direct to WAV or to MP3 at high bitrate, but bear in mind it only really works well with a line or optical input. When using a mic directly it's just too noisy (digital amplification doesn't work too well). It's got USB and Firewire, I use it with a PC and it works fine. Not sure about Macs working with it.

You can also upgrade the hard disk to pretty much any notebook hard disk size.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Dude just get a used portable minidisc. Media is cheap, it will sound great and will be around $100 depending on model. The only downside is there's no drag and drop, you'll have to record to PC.

co

I have a Sony MZ-R55 and it has great sound quality. You can pick them up pretty cheap now on ebay.

• I'm still in 202 land.

Not really for recording, but field sampling.

Damn Day, that little piece looks nice.

• oosioosi 40 Posts
    202 use batteries?.......also for anyone that knows, about how many mp3s could you fit on a mini disk.

• I was being sarcastic about but yeah, it takes 6 AAs.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I've got a portable mini disc that comes with a mic to record in the field. It's nice. You can name tracks,shuffle put in cue points, MP3, it's dope.

• Dude just get a used portable minidisc. Media is cheap, it will sound great and will be around $100 depending on model. The only downside is there's no drag and drop, you'll have to record to PC.

There are minidisc models that have USB and software, to drag 'n' drop. I just bought myself a Sony MZ-N505 for 60 euros and I'm happy with it.

• I have a Sony MZ-R55 and it has great sound quality. You can pick them up pretty cheap now on ebay.

i can recommend that one. got it too for three years now and its workin fine.