Ian Wright @ Bumpshop NYC/APT **Sat, 11/26**

maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
edited November 2005 in Announcements
NYC SS-ers,Bumpshop returns the Saturday after Thanksgiving in a major way. The venerable 'Praying Mantis' of funk 45s, as he's been known, Mr. Ian Wright's first ever US gig: Save the date, mark your calendars, & adjust your holiday plans accordingly. Friends, colleagues & cheapskates get at me via PM for comps.Peace!Mao

Comments

• One week from tonight, people.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    fuck yeah!
    Mao, peep your pm

• Bump

• pm'ed

• Options
    Ian's next level, anyone within a 10 hour radius should make the trek (unless they have a party to throw )

K in Canada.

• looking forward to this!

• Yes, yes, yes, me too.

And here's a few things that'll make my crate for the evening:

Soft Touch - Plenty Action (Sundance)
    Beautifully harmonized Bay Area funk dig at small time hustlers.

Pages - Mack (Sunstruck)
    Underrated flip to 'Heartaches & Pain.'

The Connection - Here & Now (instrumental) (Arab)
    Flip over crapola MOR reggae vocal & - voila! - instant instro Jamaica funk (that's what it is).

Dave Hamilton - The Deacons (TCB)
    Detroit organ vibes n' stuff.

Clarence Reid - Rockin' Chair (Dash)
    He wrote it, he sings it.

Gloria Williams - Sister Funk (Downtown)
    In homage to our esteemed guest selector.

Royal Five - Say It To My Face (Tyler)
    Classic 60s Philly soul rewrite of "Tighten Up." Special dedication to all the two-faced scumbags out there (can you tell I've had a difficult week?).

& as Fat Joe would eloquently croon, so much more...

Come to the pavilion.

• Dave Hamilton - The Deacons (TCB)
    Detroit organ vibes n' stuff.

nice one!

been meaning to find other 45s from him.

• Thanks Mao! My wife and I had a great time drinking, laughing, and listening to some monster chunes. I had a feeling we were sitting in the midst of a NYC strut massive, but weren't sure who folks were so we kept to our California selves.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Pages - Mack (Sunstruck)
    Underrated flip to 'Heartaches & Pain.'

Absolutely. Another solid Travis Biggs production.

• Bump Shop is always on point!
    Had a great time. Cant wait for the next one.

oh and by the way "run for cover" is super fresh!

• God Damn.
    3 1/2 HRS of... like 3 1/2 yards of concrete on my mind.

Thanks to all who came out!

• yup, props & kudos to all who made it thru. like dave wrote, ian played an amazing set (and a generously lengthy one too - fuck jet lag!). he's the mf-in' man.
    next party in just three weeks, saturday, 12/17, featuring our colleague from the ATL, brian poust (a/k/a agent 45), director of www.georgiasoul.com. will post full color flyer & further info this week.
    our 1-year anniversary party will follow in january on 1/14. special guest info TBA.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    (and a generously lengthy one too - fuck jet lag!). he's the mf-in' man.

Oh reeeeeally???? I must remember to point this out the next time some UK DJ arrives here all balls-out and then flakes by midnight. All talk and no trousers as they say on the BBC.

Music was great, also from that warmup DJ. My ears seem to get a bit blasted in there with the new speaker config though, especially when standing up, which is how I gauge my drunkness.

• My ears seem to get a bit blasted in there with the new speaker config though, especially when standing up, which is how I gauge my drunkness.

yeah, unfortunately, in the new booth everything seems deceptively quiet; it's tough to gauge how loud it can actually get in the rest of the room. we'll try to be a lil' more gentle on your ears next time.