Gunkhole VS G-UNIT

2»

Comments

• where can i hear his drumming?

http://www.myspace.com/rrrmusic

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    wow, yes he is an amazing drummera

• That dude is a serious fuckwit. Gunkhole is slang for 'arsehole or mouth' down here (where all the shit comes out), so a very apt description. (Yes yes..small inlet, etc...)

He seems to forget that most innovations in music are made via the 'underground' then rise above. He's just trying to justify his own place by dissing others.

I can't see D-Styles talking like this. He seems like astraight-up dude.

But what a dickead.. He implies that anything the 'next shit' is the 'best shit'.

What a fool & who is he to judge. A good track is a good track regardless of it's 'revolutionary' updating or if it is 'retro' influenced, etc...

Wanker needs to pull his head in.

MR I'm So Superior Because I Can Twiddle Knobs. Dude should stop playing with his own.

But yeah I got some of his records. I agree he should just shut up & cut up instead.

That new Neil Diamond album is pretty nice & all he uses is an acoustic guitar.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    He got mad skills, his drumming is definitely the best I've ever heard but his online persona somehow seems to be ...
    Why? Explain please.

Just go the d-styles board or his own board on asisphonics.net and re-read the last 3-4 years. You got to experience that by yourself, but be prepared to read more than there is text in a 30-piece brockhaus encylopedia.
    I find what he has to say interesting. I am not bothered by it one bit. Why does it bother you personally? Just curious.
    It didn't bother me, I read many of his post, but only because I was curious what he writing and responding next. It's like browsing the internet with no particual aim, just browsing, browsing, browsing, reading stuff, ...
    He should make music instead of posting on the internet, but that also applies to me

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Mack, beware, this is scratch drumming, as opposed to actual funky drumming...
    Although he did a nice track on the flip if that Sharon Jones (Paul Nice Remix)
    He is tight as hell and for me it's funky drumming nonstop.

• who is ricci rucker?

Some scratch nerd unhappy that his technical but boring shit doesn't sell as much as fiddy's entertaining but technically shit music.

Wow your not really up on it hommie. Check this quote from Ricci on a new turntable
    About 2 years ago, I wrote about an idea I had about developing a new turntable on the asisphonics website. The whole idea was to break up the pitch capabilities into percentages which would equate to logical note changes. So instead of having a pitch slider, and a 33/45 button, you could have many different buttons or sliders which would correlate to note changes. All of this, as well as the implementation of a footpedal as another method to control the pitch. This in combination with the records produced for this type of turntable, would make it the most dynamic and versatile instrument that could change everything we know about music.

D-styles had the Vestax connection, so at the NAMM convention 2 years ago, we (gunkhole) met up with the president of Vestax, and I came out and told him the idea like the over excited child that I am. We had even agreed on playing it smooth... but the eminem song took over in my head, and I had one chance, so I didnt let it go, cause opprotunity comes once in a lifetime..

He loved the idea, and today..

I have the turntable at my house... the only one in existence.

I am doing testing, and taking notes... I've recorded a song with it already, and I've even recorded a video of me just letting my hands rub all over it's beautiful solid would polished body... and just freestyling..

everyone is going to trip when they hear this thing...

the turntable is a masterpiece, I didn't even understand how much it opens up until I actually got to touch it.

This instrument is way more flexible than a moog/synth or a sampler because you can touch the sound and instantly take the sound outside of note context, or instantly make new rhythms improvisation. The only benefit about synths I liked (outside of if they just have dope sounds themselves, I try to collect that stuff now) is that they had the standard melodic control.

Now this turntable has that, which makes it an endless instrument. You can take the sound you like, and give them an unpredicted depth and range that you couldn't do on the sound that they were generated on. Especially if you have scratch skills.

IT's like reverse engineering at one level. Until today, all of scratching has been like that. You have to flip samples, and make something new. Now for the first time, you can think them out, on top of utilizing the all of the abstract nature that scratching gives.

I think scratching (because of the instruments limitations) was too abstract. Everyone knew it was an instrument, but no one was really playing it to a level comparable to the way another instrumentalist using another instrument would do. So a lot of times, it was like the turntable was trying to be something else.

Even the solos I have done to date were ridiculously good, but only compared to other scratch solos. Like the one I did on the GNKHL Bologna Italy live show... I did a flute solo, and there were moments that were so deep and fluid, that I would have to actually show you what I did for you to appreciate it.

For instance, I was phrasing a flute, and a cool thing was, I was having to skip a note everytime to create this one melody. IT's extremely hard, no matter what you play, it's hard, and takes a lot of skills to pull off..

BUT

That's not hard for any other instrumentlist. In reality, if a flute player changes from a E flat to an F flat, I don't think he'll be too excited to show you that...

why am I then?

because the limitation of the instrument has lowered the standards

It's not like that anymore.

I've been recording melodic solo phrases, and the best comparisons I can make in terms of sound is like jimi hendrix, more watery and abstract.

So imagine the melodies changing without force, smooth changes, but right when you touch the turntable, the context even goes furtherout, and the cleverness of the scratcher, will be able to highlight both melody, and technique simultaneously. Mastering both styles, will turn the new sound to its own entity. Not only that, you can always change your sounds... it's CRAZY

It won't be, oh, hes doing melody stuff now, oh, now he's scratching, no, it's intertwined, it's like bugged out scratching which melodies which allow you to stay intriguied and able to follow the music. Scratch to date was only a language for scratchers. Now you can communicate to all, and even further out than I think sun ra ever imagined.

If I hooked this up to my amp through an echo, and turned it up to 10 at lalapalooza, it's over... If I ever get this on a big stage, it's over, I'm going crazy on this thing, and I will even smash it on stage... yes.. I get em for free... jk

Now you will hear what I've been wanting to say with scratching for so long.

You can have turntable solo virtuosos that actually don't sound monotonous. With a melodic qbert, I think I could really appreciate that... Because of the pitch capabilities, you can have so much expression in the scratch..

It has a "sharp" toggle switch that you can push up with your thumb while cutting, and can also be used as an expression, almost like a whammy on a guitar.

So you can be like stevie vai, super cheesy melody styles..

or you can compose classical

put it in indie rock styles... thats what I'm doing now... I got it hooked up to a vox amp, running to an echo, and it's like another world. It's like the melodies I hear in my head can come up..

Imagine the gunk show with these tables, harmonies..

you can even program different speeds in the button, memory button

So now, instead of scratching from a strictly abstract point of view

(cuz scratching is just the same notes except at extreme hi and low notes, such an extrene pitch change that it becomes an abstraction)

now, I can put form around my abstraction, so now even the patterns within my cuts can even have more impact, because I am implementing melody that people can already relate with. I don't think people realized how important having melodic control is in expressing a musical message.

This turntable has now become the most insane instrument on the face of the planet. It enables you to do anything, and more.. you can put a string quartet playing one note, and you can literally play with a group.. and you wouldn't even know that its a turntable. This in conjunction with scratching, and effects, and everyones personal taste, and physical ability really makes this instrument something people can finally express on, and create their own unique voice.

This instrument is no longer a hip hop instrument, im sure 50 and jay z wont mind though, they can hold down the "hip hop" scene. If this turntable was in the hands of an extremely talented and openminded musican, of any genre, their genre would be opened up 10 fold. It's quite staggering to think of how much will come from this..

I haven't scratched this long being completely interested since the first time I started, and I don't see myself ever getting bored again. And a new effect and new record, and a new outlook, it's a whole new world everytime, instantly.

Some people are scared by that type of freedom, some people are attracted to it.

ill post some video soon...
    Do you start to see why you are limiting your thinking?

• Dudes like this, so caught up in technical shit & new fangled technology, are forgetting that it's usually the most simple things that are the most rewarding.

He's making music so indulgent that it ends up being tiresome & boring.

Give me a kid with a stick & a bucket anyday.

• Dudes like this, so caught up in technical shit & new fangled technology, are forgetting that it's usually the most simple things that are the most rewarding.

But for real though have you heard the joint he did with KRS?

Dudes like this
    Isn't making generalized statements kind of tiresome and boring? Is it useful to yourself to make a blanket statement grouping Ricci with anyone else? Or grouping anyone together for that matter? You may just be trying to box in and define something so that it makes your reality comfortable. I would suggest doing a little more research on the subject then let me know what you have found out in 6 months. If you can observe his music with a childs mind you may see the simple beauty of it, hence you will find your child with stick & bucket. Maybe within yourself you can find new energy and not be so bored and tired. The mind fresh, is open to the world of what is possible.

Dudes like this
    Isn't making generalized statements kind of tiresome and boring? Is it useful to yourself to make a blanket statement grouping Ricci with anyone else? Or grouping anyone together for that matter? You may just be trying to box in and define something so that it makes your reality comfortable. I would suggest doing a little more research on the subject then let me know what you have found out in 6 months. If you can observe his music with a childs mind you may see the simple beauty of it, hence you will find your child with stick & bucket. Maybe within yourself you can find new energy and not be so bored and tired. The mind fresh, is open to the world of what is possible.

Pull your head in son..

I've heard the KRS track & it's cool.

My main critique is with his emphasis on the equipment, like how he's ranting & raving about this new turntable & blah blah blah... and that he's discovered it & that it's better than samplers, etc...
    He seems more intent on praising details over end result.

You might get down with Kodwo Eshun's book 'More Brilliant Than the Sun:
    Adventures in Sonic Fiction'.
    He loves progressively difficult music.

After hearing him speak & trying to read his rather densely written book it let me with a sense of clinical starkness. Trying to demistify music by analysing it's complexities results in a rather empty interpretation of music. Sorry, but I'm in a league of people who prefer to 'feel' music in a different way. And step off with the 'open your mind' rhetoric. That shit is tired in itself.

I'm referring to people who scream out loud that they know what's going on & "I do this amazing shit & everyone else is asleep & I'm the the messiah becasue I'm obsessed with techno wizardry, elevation, next level, outerspace shit & I'm keeping it ahead of all ya'll'. Well that's how I read it.

Next time maybe not bait people into an argument before you air your own opinion.

You don't hear people like Prefuse, Four Tet, Seven Star, etc... talking it up. Ruccer just came across as a bit smug & righteous in the pieces you posted. I'm no super scratchy dude, but I played on the same night as D-Styles down here so just chill yeah. But I don't find myself listening to 'Phantazmagorea' every night. I appreciate it on it's own merits, but it gets too heavy too quickly.

You want next level, then
    check these Dutch guys: [/b">

Video clip for
    C-MON & KYPSKI - Shitty Bum[/b]

a href="http://imageshack.us]

Hey, I'm just saying...

• Rikki is dope as hell on the cut, a well rounded producer, and a cool dude.

The internet is virtual.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    what do you guys see in his music? i never got it. to me, all his stuff sounds like a weak copy of this:

not-so-blazing downtempo. is that what people call innovative these days?

Dudes like this

Pull your head in son..

I've heard the KRS track & it's cool.

My main critique is with his emphasis on the equipment, like how he's ranting & raving about this new turntable & blah blah blah... and that he's discovered it & that it's better than samplers, etc...
    He seems more intent on praising details over end result.

You might get down with Kodwo Eshun's book 'More Brilliant Than the Sun:
    Adventures in Sonic Fiction'.
    He loves progressively difficult music.

After hearing him speak & trying to read his rather densely written book it let me with a sense of clinical starkness. Trying to demistify music by analysing it's complexities results in a rather empty interpretation of music. Sorry, but I'm in a league of people who prefer to 'feel' music in a different way. And step off with the 'open your mind' rhetoric. That shit is tired in itself.

I'm referring to people who scream out loud that they know what's going on & "I do this amazing shit & everyone else is asleep & I'm the the messiah becasue I'm obsessed with techno wizardry, elevation, next level, outerspace shit & I'm keeping it ahead of all ya'll'. Well that's how I read it.

Next time maybe not bait people into an argument before you air your own opinion.

You don't hear people like Prefuse, Four Tet, Seven Star, etc... talking it up. Ruccer just came across as a bit smug & righteous in the pieces you posted. I'm no super scratchy dude, but I played on the same night as D-Styles down here so just chill yeah. But I don't find myself listening to 'Phantazmagorea' every night. I appreciate it on it's own merits, but it gets too heavy too quickly.

You want next level, then
    check these Dutch guys: [/b">

Video clip for
    C-MON & KYPSKI - Shitty Bum[/b]

a href="http://imageshack.us]

Hey, I'm just saying...

Well then thats cool. I'll have to say this point blank when Ricci says a lot of that stuff it's all just marketing. That's the beauty of it. The original post was Gunkhole VS G-unit. Yet a lot of posts were in reference to Ricci Rucker. Where attention goes energy flows. So I guess from the attention factor Gunkhole wins.

As far as for puttin me up on some next level shit, it's kinda funny cause back in the day KYPSKI was out in Seattle and he was over at the crib and DJ Ace was there and it was all lovely. Nice session.

I also don't see why people can't talk shit in Hip-hop. I mean Hova. J-hova talkin bout messiah this and that. Big willie rap cats do it day and night. Cats have been doin it for years and years. Talkin bout how they Kings and Gods and the hole nine. Cat's is always talkin bout how I'm right and your wrong, and they are the best ever. How's what 50 and Kanye and Game sayin any diffrent. Cat's in Hip Hop have for years been talkin about blah blah blah I'm the best. So what. The diffrence is cat's expect someone with actual skill to be super humble. What, do people want them to be so humble they never leave the house. What Kanye and Ricci are talkin, is real close. People then go and get pissed and they say they all big headed. Yet if they didn't talk they wouldn't have buzz and nobody would take notice. Yet every muther fuckin thug in the game will swear up and down how they the biggest gangster that ever lived. I mean your little
    I'm no super scratchy dude, but I played on the same night as D-Styles down here so just chill yeah.
    Your basically tryin to validate your self and biggin up yourself, yet in the same statement you diss your self talkin bout your not a super scratchy dude. I mean what about all the gangsta cats out there, have you ever heard one say "I'm not really all that gangster". Hell naw they say some shit like "I'm the most gangsta cat you'll ever meet" and on top of that they add "in your life". It's all in the swagger.

And as far as this statement.
    Sorry, but I'm in a league of people who prefer to 'feel' music in a different way.
    Wow a "league of people" that's some ill shit to say right there. But at least you gotta little swag. So I ain't mad at cha.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    who is ricci rucker?

• who is ricci rucker?

Head bangers ball beotch!!!!!!!!!!