Turntable/DJ Furniture

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Is there anything on the market at a reasonable price that looks good too? I'm looking for something to put my TT's and Mixer on Ideally w/ record storage underneath. I might break down and build something but w/ some of the deals out there (ie expedit) it's cheaper to buy furniture and get a good finished look. Any advice? Thanks, ya'll were real helpfull w/ my expedit problems yesterday, I got that bitch together in about half an hour of smooth sailing...

Comments

• Somewhat expensive, but pretty dope and well made.
    Bake's Cabinet

• Somewhat expensive, but pretty dope and well made.
    Bake's Cabinet

Those look dope but you could easily build the same thing for a fraction of that cost.

• well I think I might acctually be going w/ this stuff:

safco wire shelving available in 36" X 18" shelves or 48" X 18" ~$140. With the sllight modification of cutting down the 72" tubular corner material it should work great and it's got an industrial type style that I can live with... Not for everyone to be sure but if you like a functional industrial/modern look deffenately the right price...

• if you don't mind the industrial look i would recommend these (gorilla rack) over the wire shelves. they are far more sturdy, solid bottoms so things won't fall through, and reasonably priced.

• from the dualsf.com site:

465$? sry, but who is so stupid and pay that price? + the rolls look shitty too

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    from the dualsf.com site:

Ikea has the same type of shit but bigger and without the rollers for $149.

• from the dualsf.com site:

Seriously, thats a 125 dollar, tops, Home Depot project.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    well I think I might acctually be going w/ this stuff:

safco wire shelving available in 36" X 18" shelves or 48" X 18" ~$140. With the sllight modification of cutting down the 72" tubular corner material it should work great and it's got an industrial type style that I can live with... Not for everyone to be sure but if you like a functional industrial/modern look deffenately the right price...

if you don't mind the industrial look i would recommend these (gorilla rack) over the wire shelves. they are far more sturdy, solid bottoms so things won't fall through, and reasonably priced.

I have used both of these approaches, and I would say they both represent quality budget choices. Some places sell the Safco wire shelving as components so you can do whatever custom setup your heart desires, including custom corner heights.

(dancing records optional) A couple of notes, you have to get something to go on the shelves, as the wires will be parallel to the records. We got these clear vinyl sheets which are ok, they kinda smell though. I would have gotten the wooden ones if I were to do it over again. Also, you have to have cross pieces on the end so you don't put off axis strain the records. This picture was taken as I set it up, some things have changed, I got these divider pieces in the middle of each shelf so that I don't have 3-4 feet of records leaning on each other, and the cross pieces on the end are much higher up so that the records are supported evenly across their width. Also, these shelves are pretty light so they might be rickety for turntables unless otherwise supported.

I have my tables on Gorilla Racks and they are rock solid if not the prettiest. There's space beneath for amps and 45s plus another shelf on the bottom holding 5 more boxes of 45s

• hypnotizin

• where did you buy your gurilla rscks and safeco shelves @? I'm also contemplating mounting a counter to the wall...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    where did you buy your gurilla rscks and safeco shelves @? I'm also contemplating mounting a counter to the wall...

I bought the Gorilla Racks (or generic equivalent, I can't remember which) from Home Despot, It's a 5 shelf kit but the vertical parts come in two pieces for either one six foot high shelf or two three feet high. It was hella cheap, like $35 or so.

the wire shelves came from Storables http://www.storables.com/
    they weren't the cheapest but my wife liked the aesthetic

• be careful with the super cheap gorilla racks. look at the floor model first. if they require you to screw together or need cross bracing then they might be flimsy. you can also tell by the corner pieces. some you can squeeze or bend even when assembled. these will probably break after a few years of use. i spent a little more money and bought ones made from 1/16" bend metal you hammer together. these will last my entire lifetime. i also cut extra wood to slide inside the shelves and close off the ends.

• Karl,

You should check out my Bedroom Rockers book. Lotsa good ideas in there. (Lotsa bad ones, too!)

Herm

• where do you find the book?

• where do you find the book?

A fellow 'Strutter had a handful when they came out and sent me one.

(Notice how I sidestepped the fact that I forgot who it was by saying "a fellow 'Strutter?" I'm slick like that.)

Herm

• do you have any more information on it? this sounds like something i might be interested in...at least if it is furniture related.

thanks.

• Update: (as if any of you cared) SO I bought the Home Depot unit and it was about $60. It's ok but really doesnt' fit my space needs perfectly so I'm gonna return it. What I'm gonna do instead is make my own w this metal angle iron that has tons of holes in it all erector set style. I can custom cut the pieces w/ a chop saw and then bolt it all to gether and put in shelves of OSB or MDF or Plywood or whatever. Then I can make it exactly the size I want and not be constrained to some out of the box configuration. An it'll also be cheap cheap cheap b/c I can "borrow" it from the warehouse at work!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    from the dualsf.com site:

Ikea has the same type of shit but bigger and without the rollers for $149.

dude that unit is made out of PLYWOOD not fibre board / cardboard dust like the exdepits.. the ikea stuff is not made of WOOD... there's a slight diffeance.

that saiid yes you could bust this out yourself for less than half the price.

incidently i have those metal baker's rack jobs too.. i got two units at sams club for $75 each... the poles are not 72" tall man.. they come in 2 sections so when you put them together its 72" or you can split it in half and have two shorter units... thats what i did to both.. i made a kitchen island out of two of them and then i have records and my decks on another two that have casters.

• Seriously, thats a 125 dollar, tops, Home Depot project.
    not really...I priced birch plywood (which is what that site says they use) and it's like $45 a sheet (3/4" 4x8) that project would take ~3 sheets...those caster whells are about $4 a pop + screws/nails/biscuit joints or whatever + stain + some crap you forgot so you need to run back and get that is gonna run you closer to $150 -$200 and this is already assuming you have a table saw w/ a good like 80 tooth blade...that's a pretty decent project if you want to do it right is all I'm sayin'

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Seriously, thats a 125 dollar, tops, Home Depot project.
    not really...I priced birch plywood (which is what that site says they use) and it's like $45 a sheet (3/4" 4x8) that project would take ~3 sheets...those caster whells are about $4 a pop + screws/nails/biscuit joints or whatever + stain + some crap you forgot so you need to run back and get that is gonna run you closer to $150 -$200 and this is already assuming you have a table saw w/ a good like 80 tooth blade...that's a pretty decent project if you want to do it right is all I'm sayin'

not to mention the man hours to put that shit together / finish / sanding.

time is money...

clean birch ply is not cheap.. you could cut the cost by purchasing lower quality / knotty ply wood... strength is the same the look is just a lil less smooth.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Like I said go to Ikea. They have three colors in a unit with 25 sections for $149 or you can get a smaller one for $99.

• dude, thanky but I already got an expedit! I need a TT set-up, not record storage...it'd be pretty hard to spin records w/ the decks 5' or 6' off the floor no?

• dude, thanky but I already got an expedit! I need a TT set-up, not record storage...it'd be pretty hard to spin records w/ the decks 5' or 6' off the floor no?

not if you rock this dudes get-up...