will they defame a legend...

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i really want to like this movie, but i am very skeptical. anyone have thoughts on how you think this will turn out?

Comments

• I don't know, but I honestly think that Joaquim Phoenix is a great choice. It will all depend on how he performs. He's never carried a movie, so that's where it all lies.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i read somewhere that Joaquin can pull off the vocals pretty well. i guess i am concerned that this movie is only going to show the "rambling man/outlaw" side of Cash. Dude was way more complex than that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Can't be worse than 'Great Balls of Fire'.

Doubt if it will be better than 'The Temptations'or 'Ray'.

It'll probably be OK. Phoenix looks the part, but Reese Witherspoon as June?

I'm skeptical.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

DUDE! Great Balls of Fire is good, and the only reasons I say that is cause its so stylized to look like a cartoon that I can't help but laugh at how they tackle the issue of the Killer marrying his 13 year old cousin.

Ray was good as was the Temptations mini-series and I'm hoping that Cash falls into line with that although I can't help but feel like this is just a cash-in exploito capitalizing on the popularity of "Ray" and soon to be followed by an Andy Gibb film or something.

I've never been a massive fan of Leaf Phoenix outside of his 1986 opus "Space Camp" but I don't hate him and he looks pretty convincing as The man in black. I do have a hard time seeing Reese Witherspoon as naything but Legally Blonde though

• soon to be followed by an Barry[/b] Gibb film or something.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

I've never been a massive fan of Leaf Phoenix outside of his 1986 opus "Space Camp" but I don't hate him and he looks pretty convincing as The man in black.

Holy Shit - that was him ...? Sorry, I never realized that... BTW, Space Camp and Cloak and Dagger - ill movies from my days growin up! Thanks for pointing that out Ad*m...

• Can't be worse than 'Great Balls of Fire'.

DUDE! Great Balls of Fire is good, and the only reasons I say that is cause its so stylized to look like a cartoon that I can't help but laugh at how they tackle the issue of the Killer marrying his 13 year old cousin.

Ray was good as was the Temptations mini-series and I'm hoping that Cash falls into line with that although I can't help but feel like this is just a cash-in exploito capitalizing on the popularity of "Ray" and soon to be followed by an Andy Gibb film or something.

I've never been a massive fan of Leaf Phoenix outside of his 1986 opus "Space Camp" but I don't hate him and he looks pretty convincing as The man in black. I do have a hard time seeing Reese Witherspoon as naything but Legally Blonde though

A***

I think Dennis Quaid wakes up five or six times a night in a cold sweat after having nightmares about his own performance in that movie (which I think he modeled on Foghorn Leghorn).

Phoenix looks like he might do a good job. I too have doubts about Reese Witherspoon as June Carter....

I guess I resent the way that they presented Jerry Lee for the same reason you enjoyed it. Jerry Lee is one of the most complex dudes to ever make it in pop music, and they reduced him to a cartoon. Jerry Lee is as serious as a heart attack, and they made him out to be some kinda idiot savant. Now, he may be at times incoherent and drunk, but he is still a serious musician through it all, and that's why I hated that movie. They made his talent out to be some kind of afterthought.

And Winona Ryder proved right then that she is the worst actress still working in major motion pictures.

I guess I resent the way that they presented Jerry Lee for the same reason you enjoyed it. Jerry Lee is one of the most complex dudes to ever make it in pop music, and they reduced him to a cartoon. Jerry Lee is as serious as a heart attack, and they made him out to be some kinda idiot savant. Now, he may be at times incoherent and drunk, but he is still a serious musician through it all, and that's why I hated that movie. They made his talent out to be some kind of afterthought.

And Winona Ryder proved right then that she is the worst actress still working in major motion pictures.

C****
    Did you ever read Nick Tosches bio on JLL????

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

She is the cherry on top of the sundae that is "Mr Deeds"

I can't beleive the things youre saying. Next you'll be talking mess about Tony Danza and his various sitcom vehicles. But before you even think of opening your mouth on such a subject let me ask you this...

Have you bothered to go to any of his solo performances at the Las Vegas Hilton?
    Have you thought about the work that goes into pulling off such a performace?
    Do you realize that playing Tony Micelli the housekeeper on "Whose the Boss" was a major take off from Tony Banta the boxer in "Taxi". Do you know what that shows? Range my friend. True talent and RANGE!

• She is the fly[/b] on top of the pile of shit[/b] that is "Mr Deeds"

Cuz we all know what a piece of garbage this was...

Someone please drive a stake through Adam Sandler's heart...[/b]

C****

Only excerpts from it...I can't find a copy 'round here.

C****

Only excerpts from it...I can't find a copy 'round here.

It appears to be back in print. Good reading...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

soon to be followed by an Barry[/b] Gibb film or something.

That skit has me and Norm rolling on the floor laughing everytime its shown

"TALKING IT UP ON THE BARRY GIBB TALK SHOW"

amazing

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Biopics are almost always overly cheezy and sappy. *cue the music*

• but Reese Witherspoon as June?

f her...keep her in the dopey comedies. i'm skeptical about the whole thing but i will give it a shot.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    but Reese Witherspoon as June?

At least she's a true southern girl. That's got to help.

• i really want to like this movie, but i am very skeptical. anyone have thoughts on how you think this will turn out?

I hope it is good myself, needless to say that ever time isee the trailer all i can think about is T.N.T from U-Turn.

~Crates

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    but Reese Witherspoon as June?

At least she's a true southern girl. That's got to help.

I can't beleive that people think Phoenix was a good choice. Johnny was not a pretty boy. Jamie Fox looks as much like Cash as Phoenix does, and hes a better mimic and as good or better actor. He would have been a better choice.

There is a movie out called Johnny Cash The Man The Music. Get it.

I love music bio pics, but this one scares me. Can I get a scarecrow gremlin?
    Dan

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"No one messes with T.K.!!!"